PayPal suddenly asking for ID/SSN/Proof of address?

AsBakedAsCake

I've been getting paid through PayPal for years now without a problem. Yesterday I logged into my account and I received a notification "There’s a problem with your account. Be sure to resolve it to restore full account access." Okay, great. So I check my email expecting some info about the issue and there is no mail. I checked the resolution center and there is nothing open and no information there on how to fix the issue.

After over an hour of waiting on the phone, I never got through to a real person so I hung up contacted live chat support. Upon doing so I was told "After reviewing your account, I found that your account is restricted due to security and safety concern, to gain access to your account you'll need to submit some documents. The documents required to solve this restriction are: Fax ID, Fax proof of Address, & Proof of SSN."

My main question are: why are they suddenly needing this after years of use/sales? Is there any way for me to regain full access without uploading pictures of my ID/SSN as I'd prefer not to for privacy reasons?

Any help with this appreciated, quite frustrated at the moment as my business revolves around PayPal.

Thanks

12 minutes ago, AsBakedAsCake said:

My main question are: why are they suddenly needing this after years of use/sales? Is there any way for me to regain full access without uploading pictures of my ID/SSN as I'd prefer not to for privacy reasons?

It's paypal; privacy reasons?

Doubt you'll be able to get around it as they've locked your account until you can provide info.

1 minute ago, Coolst0rybr0 said:

It's paypal; privacy reasons?

Doubt you'll be able to get around it as they've locked your account until you can provide info.

I just really don't like the idea of having to upload pictures of my SS card/photo ID. I'd already verified my account years ago with my bank. So basically, if I decide I don't want to upload my ID/SSN my money is locked into PayPal? I wasn't even informed what the restrictions on the account are.

Thx for reply btw.

20 minutes ago, AsBakedAsCake said:

I've been getting paid through PayPal for years now without a problem. Yesterday I logged into my account and I received a notification "There’s a problem with your account. Be sure to resolve it to restore full account access." Okay, great. So I check my email expecting some info about the issue and there is no mail. I checked the resolution center and there is nothing open and no information there on how to fix the issue.

After over an hour of waiting on the phone, I never got through to a real person so I hung up contacted live chat support. Upon doing so I was told "After reviewing your account, I found that your account is restricted due to security and safety concern, to gain access to your account you'll need to submit some documents. The documents required to solve this restriction are: Fax ID, Fax proof of Address, & Proof of SSN."

Any help with this appreciated, quite frustrated at the moment as my business revolves around PayPal.

Thanks

Lmao, simply put PayPal wants you to prove its you on the account. You have a limit each year depending on the account type you have, the limit may differ. Once that limit is reached they will restrict your account until you can prove whatever they are asking for.  Happened to my company PayPal twice already and I've never had any issues as long as I provided them with the required information my account got back to normal within hours.

• Like 1

There are personal and business paypal accounts, if you find it weird that they requested documents then I'll assume you use a personal paypal account for your "business" which most likely doesn't respect paypal's terms of service. But this is another problem you may want to consider in the future, for now it sounds like you just passed the $2500/year (or 2200 euro for europe) limit for received payments for an unverified personal paypal account. If that's not the case, you can just ask them what's this all about.

Edited by Token
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AsBakedAsCake said:

Thanks for the useful replies. Upon doing more research it appears they should have asked for these pictures/proof YEARS ago. I don't really have access to a fax machine, think it will work to provide photos with a camera/phone?

As long as they're clear then yeah, using a phone is fine. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AsBakedAsCake said:

Thanks for the useful replies. Upon doing more research it appears they should have asked for these pictures/proof YEARS ago. I don't really have access to a fax machine, think it will work to provide photos with a camera/phone?

yes, you can even use the app called camscanner. it's basically a scanner

• Like 1

• 1 year later...