How is a Jagex Moderator Comment Evidence - Deleted post OSRS subreddit.

Yowhite

Question for the fellas of Runescape:

How can a COMMENT be a bannable offence while there are many options to disable the chat box?

Lets not f about and get straight to my point. There are a lot of ''solo'' runescape players whom just play for themselves and try not to interact with others. Some will interact more and some will interact less. Being an iron man for example will let you play more soloplayer OSRS instead of multiplayer. Furthermore does runescape(jagex) have the option to put your public chat, friends chat and clan chat on mute(off). This means you basicly talk to no one in the game because you just cant see them talk. These options are implemented for I expect the players to enjoy the solo game more. Yet you still can get banned by a comment. Now this is something that really baffles me.

IN GAME EXAMPLE: I was firemaking at the GE a while back. Some guy which I suspect to be a undercover mod from jagex tried to mess up my ''routine'' to check if I wasnt a bot. So he would make a fire in between my fires so a bot would ''bust'' because there would be a spot where it wasnt possible to make a fire. Honest work if you ask me. I asked him; Are you checking if I am not a bot? Obviously he did not respond. This case still got me a 2 day ban with as evidence a ''Jagex Moderator Comment.''

Banned by a comment ?

To have someone actually try and bust your bot brings me to the following conclusion; They cant actually check it and they want it to bust to ban you. If they cant get it to bust and still think you are a bot (or just dont like you). Then they just put Jagex Moderator Comment as evidence and the fact that you are using third party software. Now this method really gets me going because it is such a flawed method. I have seen multiple cases of 1 or 2 day and even permanent bans with the evidence saying it was a Jagex Moderator Comment and owners of accounts claiming on the forums they had done nothing wrong.

Ofcourse I know 99% of those claims were probably legit bans but the 1% is what im standing up for. The people who get banned because they didnt respond to a guy asking hey whatsup. As someone who likes to multi task while playing OSRS, I almost never respond to people asking me stuff. I just cant be bothered and some people take it as that I am a bot which obviously isnt the case, they might even report me for it. Sometimes while watching netflix I just missed the guy who asked me stuff and he might also think I was a bot. You get my drift.

Powerplays (Thanos that u?)

Having talked about the method and why I think it isnt working for Jagex leaves me with one more point to make. Giving your mods the power to ban a player based on their comments or questions is dangerous. This power can be mis-used in many ways and I can actually be very certain it has. If a mod thinks he looks like a bot but I dont want to bother staying longer and asking him. Might as wel report him right away. BOOM banned! Some people get angry when people(might be undercover mods) bother them, ''why are you asking me if im a bot, you .........!'' . This undercover mod might ban him just for that.

I referred a lot of my friends to this game. As we all know level 3's have very high ban rates. Some of my friends are still students and play crazy hours. 13 Hours a day maybe with very little breaking. You know how gamers get when they get into a game. Now some have been unfairly banned the way mentioned above. I suspect it had to do with them not answering and the hours played but I am to this day not sure. Some have quit because of it.

My personal opinion: Yes the new updates are awesome and the jagex team is doing a stand up job on those, however the flow of new players to this game is alarmingly low, the support and ban system is also poor and not at all transparant. I think those 2 things are deeply related to each other. I understand you dont want botters to get the best of it but dont let your community suffer over the few bad people. After all the community is what makes and pays your game.

Disclaimer: THIS IS A PERSONAL OPINION BASED ON MY IG EXPERIENCE AND POSTS ON FORUMS. 

Obviously this has been written from a non-botter perspective however that doesnt negate the points being made here. I would very much like your thoughts on this subject just for a matter of fun. Im not trying to prove a point, fight the system or rant about how being banned is unfair. I understand the risks of botting and that is not what this post is about,  however I do think the support and ban system are majorly flawed and not very attractive to new players. This post has been removed by the OSRS subreddit before someone could see it. 

TL:DR

The fact that you can put every chat option on mute and still get banned by a comment is incoherently wrong.

The fact that a single moderator has the power to give out bans can and has been mis-used.

The use of third party software and not answering questions does not mean you are 180% a bot.

Years of progress down the drain deserves more of an explanation then just ''banned by a comment and third party software.''

The flow of new players is alarmingly low, the support, ban and appeal system is also poor and not transparant. The community suffers over a small part of bad guys.

Edited by Yowhite
Text style

9 minutes ago, B3NJ said:

Can you make a smaller tldr please

Maybe this makes it better. The disclaimer and text below the disclaimer arent part of the TL;DR. 

1 minute ago, ez11 said:

Lmao @ this post

Wrote this post about a week ago. It got removed, figured might as well upload it here to get some post count and maybe this forum has more audience for it. I do stand behind what I wrote. This ban and appeal system is horribad. The fact that an appael works in a way where you cant even defend yourself. Imagine if they did that in Court..

''You are guilty ! Do you want to appeal ?'' ;Yes your honor, ''Okay answer the following; 

Are you guilty ? Yes or no? We thank you for your answer.''

So much for a defence statement. ?

@Yowhite They don't ban based on whether you respond via typing, this isn't 2002.

"Jagex Moderator Comment" is on most, if not all, bans. It's not personalised.

Jmods don't go undercover as other accounts, they have no need to. They can set their own visibility to zero as well as a variety of tricks that could "bust" a bot as you say. Also their time is better spent analysing data that they record and detect from rather than singling out specific person who is firemaking of all skills...

As for people being unfairly banned it's not unheard of, especially when they're aiming to maximize EHP.

16 minutes ago, Jackthedon said:

@Yowhite They don't ban based on whether you respond via typing, this isn't 2002.

"Jagex Moderator Comment" is on most, if not all, bans. It's not personalised.

Jmods don't go undercover as other accounts, they have no need to. They can set their own visibility to zero as well as a variety of tricks that could "bust" a bot as you say. Also their time is better spent analysing data that they record and detect from rather than singling out specific person who is firemaking of all skills...

As for people being unfairly banned it's not unheard of, especially when they're aiming to maximize EHP.

Hey Jack, to address the firemakig example it mightve just been coincidence. However it has happened a lot to me and im sure there are others, where players actively go out of their way to check if you are not a bot. Now I know some people in the OSRS community are very much against botting and they are people that might do that. It just seemed strange to me. Im sure you probably do not know this but why would they put ''Jagex Moderator Comment'' as a reason of a ban? If I would need to guess, I would say it probably has something to do with it being an easy way to not let their methods for busting known and wouldnt raise any questions because most botters are actually AFK during their botting hours. Such a ludacriss way of handling things. Hey you are banned; the reason is a jagex moderator comment and the use of third party software. Both reasons hold no ground lol. As third party software is allowed and as you say you cant be banned by a comment.. They should just say our software or detection system has detected you have been botting. 

Yeah I noticed that. Some people I know have quit because of it. They tried to appeal but to no avail. 

Edited by Yowhite

2 minutes ago, irwtonrs1 said:

hopefully a troll

giphy.gif

Pretty sure it was an undercover Jmod, following me around the game. 

5 minutes ago, Aromafab said:

I don't think you understand what "Jagex moderator comment" means, it has nothing to do with you speaking or acting a certain way around players.
It simply means that the Jagex moderator has left their input on the recorded offense on your account.

This clarifies it somewhat. It still very confusing to put that as ''evidence''. Like I said above they should state that differently and I still think that it lacks a lot. Some people put years into their accounts, it should contain more then just; we looked at it, you're banned.

• Like 1

You do realize that in the T.O.S. of playing RuneScape, jagex put that everything in the game is their property and they are letting you use it for as long as you want. They also stated that since it's their property, they have the right to do whatever they want, whenever they want. Whether that be ban, mute, roll back, whatever.

So while I do get your point, you already agreed to their T.O.S. when you created your account. You can't really cry about it now. You can try to post on social media to try and get it reversed but anything they do is because they want to and they have the right to since you already agreed to it when you made your account.

• Like 1

Firstly, I'm liking your tinfoil hat very stylish, but I have to say jmods don't run around the game on 'normal' accounts looking for bots, a large part of the community don't like bots despite the fact we keep the econ running, and as such try and break visible bots.
Secondly, Jagex has no responsibility to give valid evidence, in TOS your acc can be banned at any point without reason, you don't own your account Jagex does.

Thirdly Jagex moderator comment, means the jmod who applied the ban left a comment on the ban reason, so if you try appeal it, whoever is dealing with it has extra information without them giving away how they detected your rule breaking(more importantly the specific thing they detected) and giving information away as to how they do it, its a internal comment regarding your ban, not that you was banned because a jmod decided he didn't like you and couldn't find evidence that you broke a rule.

1 hour ago, Yowhite said:

Maybe this makes it better. The disclaimer and text below the disclaimer arent part of the TL;DR. 

Wrote this post about a week ago. It got removed, figured might as well upload it here to get some post count and maybe this forum has more audience for it. I do stand behind what I wrote. This ban and appeal system is horribad. The fact that an appael works in a way where you cant even defend yourself. Imagine if they did that in Court..

''You are guilty ! Do you want to appeal ?'' ;Yes your honor, ''Okay answer the following; 

Are you guilty ? Yes or no? We thank you for your answer.''

So much for a defence statement. ?

Lol @ this reply

They have more evidence than you not responding to some asking if you are a bot. False bans almost never happen.

And even of they false ban you its a game company not a lawyer