It's time to combat broken scripts. We can use the forum to do this.

Morova

Hi. If you've ever spent any time in the chatbox, you know how frequently there are posts from users who buy scripts they think will be "perfect", (pun intended) but instead get something broken and not functioning, and have to waste their time and staffs time, particularly Maldestos. I would like to suggest the implementation of a script efficiency team. A team of people whose duty it is to directly test premium scripts that the users are expected to pay for, with [WORKING] or [bROKEN] tags applied to all premium script thread titles that are updated either once or twice a week, at random times to avoid provably problematic scripters from only maintaining functionality when test time comes. This would DRAMATICALLY cut down on refund requests, general displeasure with OSBot as a whole, and profit for those who continually push broken products/scripts. 

Furthermore, a "Report As Broken" feature should be implemented within the SDN to alert such a team and the scripter to such issues, with a threshhold number of reports in a given timeframe removing the script from the SDN until provable functionality is achieved. Edit: This is meant for the online SDN, or script section where you purchase scripts. NOT in client.

As it stands now, there is really a very small (perhaps even singular) number of scripters whose products are problematic on a regular basis, but a broad approach suggestion is the only viable route I could go without the suggestion being removed for flaiming, and such feature implementation would deter this sort of poor script maintenance in the future.

Thanks!.

Edited by MorovaTheBotter
  • Like 14

Either that (what you suggested), or another forum section, perhaps under "Script  Requests", that is called "Report Broken Scripts", and people make a thread with the script name, and the issues. I'd put a template down for an example but, most people won't read a pinned thread in the forums in certain sections, so there would be no point in a template.

Either that (what you suggested), or another forum section, perhaps under "Script  Requests", that is called "Report Broken Scripts", and people make a thread with the script name, and the issues. I'd put a template down for an example but, most people won't read a pinned thread in the forums in certain sections, so there would be no point in a template.

I can see that helping, but I feel a report button within the SDN would be more effective due to it reaching a greater number of users at once. Far too often there are without a doubt users that do not use the forum who experience these same issues, and instead just write OSBot off after one bad purchase. Also, the removal of provably broken scripts is key as it would cut profits for their publishers.

I think there are two types of problems.

1. People don't report, or do not properly report broken scripts to the scripter.
  2. Scripter is lazy and does the bare minimum to keep his or her script on the store.

The first issue really wastes a lot of time, but there have already been attempts to teach people how to effectively report bugs. Using a template and providing as much information as possible is usually useful. I see some scripters asking for this.

The second issue is a bigger one. Having been a lazy scripter, it's easy to get complacent and do the bare minimum to keep Maldesto from removing your scripts. I think, perhaps, this idea could help solve this. More simply I think that we could be more strict with scripters. If your scripts are breaking multiple time per week, you're taking a long time to fix them, and your fixes don't work well, then I think perhaps you should not be selling scripts.

As I do not use scripts, I'm not sure how big of a problem broken scripts actually are, but judging by the short amount of time I spend in the chatbox, I think there is some improvement to be had.

• Like 1

I think there are two types of problems.

1. People don't report, or do not properly report broken scripts to the scripter.
  2. Scripter is lazy and does the bare minimum to keep his or her script on the store.

The first issue really wastes a lot of time, but there have already been attempts to teach people how to effectively report bugs. Using a template and providing as much information as possible is usually useful. I see some scripters asking for this.

The second issue is a bigger one. Having been a lazy scripter, it's easy to get complacent and do the bare minimum to keep Maldesto from removing your scripts. I think, perhaps, this idea could help solve this. More simply I think that we could be more strict with scripters. If your scripts are breaking multiple time per week, you're taking a long time to fix them, and your fixes don't work well, then I think perhaps you should not be selling scripts.

As I do not use scripts, I'm not sure how big of a problem broken scripts actually are, but judging by the short amount of time I spend in the chatbox, I think there is some improvement to be had.

The issue is some scripters apply fixes and don't even test them ingame (not going to name any names) , which leads to consistent broken scripts even when they say it's been fixed.

• Like 3

I mostly agree with this - I think we need a more formal bug report system perhaps. But alot of the time, it's the user who is at fault, so perhaps a user guide might be a useful thing to have too.

Also, I think alot of scripters are put off maintaining their scripts when you recieve a message like this:

Can't even cook a Tuna anymore you shitbag....#shitscript

(recieved this as a message on my den cooker script. Turns out the user didn't follow the clear instructions on the main thread. But I went ahead and pushed an update anyway. Still waiting to recieve a thank you. Oh wait, i've never (in about 1 year) recieved a thank you for any of my free scripts (maybe once or twice?))

apa

I mostly agree with this - I think we need a more formal bug report system perhaps. But alot of the time, it's the user who is at fault, so perhaps a user guide might be a useful thing to have too.

Also, I think alot of scripters are put off maintaining their scripts when you recieve a message like this:

(recieved this as a message on my den cooker script. Turns out the user didn't follow the clear instructions on the main thread. But I went ahead and pushed an update anyway. Still waiting to recieve a thank you. Oh wait, i've never (in about 1 year) recieved a thank you for any of my free scripts (maybe once or twice?))

apa

I believe there are hooks for reporting issues or bugs, but they are forum based, but it could be possible (MAYBE) to turn it into a script based reporting system. 

But, like I said earlier, literally 90% of the forum users fail to read pinned threads, such as a templates or guidelines before making a thread that needs one, being the Services or  the Accounts section. Though, I do believe a template/guideline for a making a script report template would be greatly beneficial, I would like to safely assume 90% of the people who will make a thread, will not follow a simple template.

• Like 1