Questions about internships! (Software Development)

GaetanoH

Hello, 

At the moment I'm in my re-sit for one more course in Applied Computer Sciences at HoGent. But next year I have to do my Thesis and my Internship at a company. I already have a lot of stress because I think I don't know shit. I've been programming for 3 years now, doing Java, Android, iOS, HTML & CSS, .NET, JavaScript and libraries. But still I feel like I don't know anything impactful to really make a difference in the 'working' world. Can anyone of you guys, who already had some internships in software or just it in general give me some tips, or just tips in general.

Thanks wub.png

A friend of mine applied @ Jan De Nul. (Did internship and got hired, he codes in C# though)
They're always looking for new people @ IT.

EDIT:
OT; just be honest, don't over exaggerate your skills.
Always be friendly, write good structured emails, be "professional".

Don't you have a someone over @ HoGent that can help you with the procedure of selecting an internship?

Edited by Howest User

A friend of mine applied @ Jan De Nul. (Did internship and got hired, he codes in C# though)

I know but I feel that after all this programming I still don't know shit, that I might have trouble working in like a real workingspace you know?

I know but I feel that after all this programming I still don't know shit, that I might have trouble working in like a real workingspace you know?

That is what an internship is kinda for, to get you the feel & touch of a working environment.

You'll learn a lot when doing it, be it programming wise or how everything goes in a working environment.

• Like 1

EDIT:

OT; just be honest, don't over exaggerate your skills.

Always be friendly, write good structured emails, be "professional".

Don't you have a someone over @ HoGent that can help you with the procedure of selecting an internship?

Friend of mine offered me a spot at AXA or Belfius but I just have problems regarding feeling not confident enough. Do they like still help you develop your programming?

Friend of mine offered me a spot at AXA or Belfius but I just have problems regarding feeling not confident enough. Do they like still help you develop your programming?

If you're struggling they'll help you, but you'll probably have to do some 'homework' to get up to speed with their way of working.

The more time you put in, the better your grade, experience and change of landing an actual job in that sector.

Hello, 

At the moment I'm in my re-sit for one more course in Applied Computer Sciences at HoGent. But next year I have to do my Thesis and my Internship at a company. I already have a lot of stress because I think I don't know shit. I've been programming for 3 years now, doing Java, Android, iOS, HTML & CSS, .NET, JavaScript and libraries. But still I feel like I don't know anything impactful to really make a difference in the 'working' world. Can anyone of you guys, who already had some internships in software or just it in general give me some tips, or just tips in general.

Thanks wub.png

I understand your feeling of intimidation by enterprise programming.

The internship will most likely cure it, it certainly did for me.

You will not be put in charge of projects you can't handle, too risky for the business.

If no appropriate project can be found for your level, you simply won't be hired.

Be honest about your skills. Don't lie, don't exaggerate.

'Programming for X years' means jack shit to recruiters unless you have projects that back that statement up (ideally your projects should demonstrate your evolution and progress as a programmer).

Passion. If you can prove passion and have a half-decent portfolio, you can even get away with not having a degree (I'm the living proof of this).

As long as you love programming, practice it regularly and have a passion for learning -> don't worry, be happy!

You can do it ;) 

• Like 2

Take it easy, the whole point of an internship is to learn, you'll have experienced people around you that can help you when you need something at least that's how it went for me. Honestly internships are great, you'll learn so much in a short period amount of time smile.png

Also what @Botre said, they won't assign you to something you're not capable of doing, if you're honest about your experience you'll be fine.

Edited by Rudie

i'm doing a course for web dev , i felt the same as you do tbh . I did my first internship last year for about 800 hours, just be honest about ur what u do and dont know.

I was realy behind last year and i told them that and said im behind but i'm really eager to learn etc. Ended up only having to do wordpress though facep.gif emote3.png

"I've been programming for 3 years now, doing Java, Android, iOS, HTML & CSS, .NET, JavaScript and libraries" so 3 years you only learnt stuff but you never bothered applying it, you never worked on a project, you didn't produce a single thing. In the eyes of an employer that translates into "I haven't done anything at all but this is all I can write in my CV". You have better chances of getting a job if you tell them you hack facebook passwords...

If you actually know all that you said you should have no problem renting a server and a domain, coding a website using JSP with a java backend and creating client apps for android and iOS. Give it a nice name and put it as a web app project in your CV and you will have 100% hire rate. If you can't do this, then you are right to feel that you don't know shit, hope for their mercy and maybe next time you will apply for a job/internship you will be better prepared.

PS: working on projects that use frameworks are very much appreciated in a CV, Spring and Hibernate experience will get you any java developer job. Don't forget these don't have to be large commercial projects, they don't have to be official, they don't even have to involve a team, they just have to exist, even if it's a simple 100 line program it's better than listing your programming skills.

• Like 2