Gun Violence (in America).

RoomScape

35 minutes ago, RoomScape said:

No good can co,e from drugs. Drugs affect ones mental state and can only worsen ones health. Guns, on the other hand, are completely different. Your reasoning doesn’t make sense. 

Given the can of worms you've opened with this debate you may want to be a little more open minded.

1. A lot of good CAN come from drugs. In the same way that a lot of harm CAN come from guns. Both can be proven by logic, science and statistical fact.

2. It's not the case that they ONLY worsen ones health. In the same way that guns don't ONLY have either positive or negative benefits.

To say my reasoning doesn't make sense to you is valid. Saying it doesn't make sense at all is not.

Try to be more open to concepts that disagree with your initial outlook. It's not easy but you'll benefit from it.

It's worth noting I am being awfully picky with regards to your wording, but given the topic it's kind of required.

6 minutes ago, overboardsea123s said:

What are you arguing? 
I literally just told you it was rhetorical; basically summarizing what you said into a question. Im not saying anything against what you replied .-. 

Yeah I know. I just realized I didn’t put that in the last one and just typed it out. I know someone’s going to say the same thing again...

Just now, Jackthedon said:

Given the can of worms you've opened with this debate you may want to be a little more open minded.

1. A lot of good CAN come from drugs. In the same way that a lot of harm CAN come from guns. Both can be proven by logic, science and statistical fact.

2. It's not the case that they ONLY worsen ones health. In the same way that guns don't ONLY have either positive or negative benefits.

To say my reasoning doesn't make sense to you is valid. Saying it doesn't make sense at all is not.

Try to be more open to concepts that disagree with your initial outlook. It's not easy but you'll benefit from it.

It's worth noting I am being awfully picky with regards to your wording, but given the topic it's kind of required.

Coke, opioids, meth...

what good do those drugs do?

18 minutes ago, RoomScape said:

Yeah I know. I just realized I didn’t put that in the last one and just typed it out. I know someone’s going to say the same thing again...

Coke, opioids, meth...

what good do those drugs do?

Google can do a better job of telling you than myself. I'll also say with confidence (without checking) that each of those will have some benefits, particularly in medicine.

The point is that blanket statements cause the majority of arguments and misunderstandings. If you truly believed that then you're a little bit misinformed, but I'd wager you didn't do any legwork with regards to the statement you made, which isn't necessarily your fault given how much time it'd take. If everyone's strong opinions were only given on topics about which they were learned then the world would operate much smoother.

Edited by Jackthedon

39 minutes ago, overboardsea123s said:

Arent opioid derivatives use in pain med?

yeah and there is an opioid epidemic in America lol. Methadone clincs popping up left and right - if you don't know what that is.. it's a pill that the gov't gives you when you tell them you're addicted to other pills, so that they can 'wing you off' of the pills you were taking. But in reality methadone side effects are worse and the people never stop taking them, because it's a legal pill that they're buying from the gov't so it doesn't matter when or where they get caught with them.

Not to mention the gov't is making money off the users now and not drug dealers. There is one case where doctors prescribed 20 million pills to a town with a population of 2900 lol

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/health/drug-firms-shipped-m-pain-pills-to-wv-town-with/article_ef04190c-1763-5a0c-a77a-7da0ff06455b.html

Edited by packthebowlll

5 hours ago, RoomScape said:

This isn't Germany.

Point is you claim police brutality skyrockets when police doesnt have to worry about everyone having a gun to "defend" themselves (which doest make any sense either since they can see if you have a gun in your hand or not) but in germany police brutality isnt insane even though we dont carry guns with us everywhere we go (which most americans dont do either so its questionable how much your gun laws actually matter.

If you think usa not having guns would work differently than other first world countrys without guns, then guns or not owning them isnt your primary issue that you need to focus on.

2 hours ago, packthebowlll said:

yeah and there is an opioid epidemic in America lol. Methadone clincs popping up left and right - if you don't know what that is.. it's a pill that the gov't gives you when you tell them you're addicted to other pills, so that they can 'wing you off' of the pills you were taking. But in reality methadone side effects are worse and the people never stop taking them, because it's a legal pill that they're buying from the gov't so it doesn't matter when or where they get caught with them.

Not to mention the gov't is making money off the users now and not drug dealers. There is one case where doctors prescribed 20 million pills to a town with a population of 2900 lol

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/health/drug-firms-shipped-m-pain-pills-to-wv-town-with/article_ef04190c-1763-5a0c-a77a-7da0ff06455b.html

Youre talking about abuse as if its the only thing it gives. Pharma is responsible for the unsafe amounts, gov allows it, and we abuse it. 

Doesnt mean there isnt any uses lol

You're talking about a completely different issue but youre using it to support saying all drugs are bad. 

Everything is bad when you abuse it. 

Edited by overboardsea123s

Would it not be practically impossible to ban guns in the US? Given the amount of legal weapons already bought and the circulation of illegal weapons? The costs of that would be ridiculous too.

I must say I'm not from the US, but comparing it to the Dutch drug policy, if we were to ban soft drugs, there would still be a ridiculous amount of weed/mushrooms in circulation, because soft drug use is almost embedded in Dutch society. Now I know it might be a illogical comparison, since drugs are a one-time use and then you'd have to buy again and given the addictive effects of some drugs, but I hope you get the point.

10 hours ago, Alek said:

School shootings aren't rare, unless you consider these numbers to be rare:

62 school shootings from 2015 - present 20.6/year
92 school shootings from 2010 - 2014 = 23/year
63 school shootings from 2000 - 2009 = 6.3/year

14 mass shootings since 2000 (22 victims per shooting)

Orlando Night Club (2016) : 50
Sutherland Springs (2017) : 27
Las Vegas          (2017) : 59

Also the majority of these crimes have not happened in inner-cities. "cletus country" - literally Sutherland Springs has 600 residents.

School shootings are an American phenomenon and going by the stats starting from 2010 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States#2010–2014), a little Excel later and the average number of fatalities in school shootings is 1.05 and average injuries is 1.62. It's only ever the mass murders, like at Sandy Hook and Douglas High School that get any real kind of media attention. I won't bother comparing those numbers to the numbers of deaths by vehicles, cancer, obesity world wide. For shit and giggles, let's say the total number to-date of all murders and injuries in school shootings has reached 1 million, that's still a piss in the ocean when the population of USA is estimated around 320 million. So it's rare and it's inconsequential. Even the other mass murders by shootings adds fuck all to the overall numbers. Shootings are rare and inconsequential, but when they do happen, it's by and large gang-related violence, or suicide by cop. It's certainly not worth burning the 2nd amendment over.

Edited by liverare
double-posted

12 hours ago, Apaec said:

I'm based in the UK, I like how things are around here. I think in America everything is more forceful - police are brutal, assertive and have a completely different style of handling situations than the police here in the UK. Also, because you can mostly count on very few people having guns, I certainly feel a lot safer, and don't feel the need to own a gun to defend myself.

I'm sure the victims of Telford and Rotherham feel the same too.

11 hours ago, Jackthedon said:

To build on what Apa said, I completely agree that I think if the american police force were to operate differently, perhaps like in the link below then maybe you wouldn't feel the need to be strapped. In the UK people typically have guns for sport such as clay pigeon shooting and some types of hunting.

This video I believes gives a very general impression of how the difference feels between the UK police and US police: 

Edit: If this were the US, the man may not have a machete but rather a gun which would endanger more lives including his own and be harder to contain resulting in more cases of police brutality, in my opinion.

That's nothing to be proud of. There were over 10 cops on the scene to apprehend one fucking guy with a machete. God forbid there's 10,000 people with machetes. Also, the UK is in massive debt and we can't afford to pay our police to piss about trying to apprehend lunatics like this.