Extending method provider and nullpointerexception

Theorems

I'm new to java & scripting and I'm gonna have to ask stuff here until I get verified on discord :boge:

I have a class with this method:

public class ActionStates extends MethodProvider {

public State getState() {
		if(getInventory().isFull()) { // nullPointerException
			return State.BANK;
		}else if(myPlayer().isAnimating()) {
			return State.IDLE;
		}else {
			return State.FISH;
		}
	}

As you can see, I commented the line that throws the nullPointerException

The thing is, that code works when I put it in my main class which extends from Script... Is there something else I need to be able to do in order to use osbot methods in other classes? It looks like it works in eclipse but then I get that when it runs which doesn't make sense to me because getInventory().isFull() should only be returning true or false (not null) shouldn't it?

6 minutes ago, Chikan said:

That shouldn't be throwing a null pointer, maybe its something in your bank state that isn't null checked?

well that code works in my 'Main' class so I don't think that would be causing any issue. I'm just building the skeleton of my script right now so my action methods just look like this: 

public void bank() {
   log("bank");
}

public void idle() {
   log("idle");
}

public void fish() {
   log("fish");
}

Edited by Theorems

When you're extending MethodProvider, some inherited fields must be initialized. That is the only reason why you're getting null. 

What those fields are, i'm not sure (take a look in Script class and see how it handles it). There are different ways on dealing this situation. @Alek Can tell you the preferred way. I think he mentioned it before in the forums. 

1 minute ago, dreameo said:

When you're extending MethodProvider, some inherited fields must be initialized. That is the only reason why you're getting null. 

What those fields are, i'm not sure (take a look in Script class and see how it handles it). There are different ways on dealing this situation. @Alek Can tell you the preferred way. I think he mentioned it before in the forums. 

Progamez answer's probably what you mean :)

Alternatively you could pass a reference to the MethodProvider instance via the class constructor, i.e:

public class SomeClass extends SomeOtherClass implements SomeInterface {

private final MethodProvider mp;

public SomeClass (MethodProvider mp) {

this.mp =mp;

}

//...

}

In your main class which extends Script:

public final SomeClass sc = new SomeClass(this);

-Apa

• Like 1

@Explv

Btw guys. Suppose I have these three classes:

Main (exchangesContext with BankTask), BankTask , Data (Data class contains methods which require api access)

Let's say the BankTask needs to use some methods from the Data class. I realised that I need to call exchangeContext inside BankTask aswell but there's obviously no onStart method there.

Should I let the Data class accept MethodProvider in the constructor instead or is it possible or even preferable to use exchangeContext in such cases?

Edited by Jammer