Anybody know what happens if someone chargebacks but you have no funds?

LeBron

Just now, Void said:

Then the bank account associated with PayPal would be in-dept; which PayPal may even take. So you may have just have -100 in the bank funds. 

So they'll somehow go into my real life bank account and draw the funds from there? And if that has no funds they can't draw, or can they somehow make it -100? Because if my IRL bank account balance is $5 I won't be able to put in more than $5 to PayPal. Are you saying PayPal can somehow override this and draw more than what I have?

14 minutes ago, Void said:

Then the bank account associated with PayPal would be in-dept; which PayPal may even take. So you may have just have -100 in the bank funds. 

Not quite, paypal can't take funds from your bank account without permission.

What will happen is:

Your paypal acc will now show a negative balance and you'll need to add funds if you wish to use a paypal account with your name/address/email

OR

Any recent gifts/trades will be put on hold and you'll be held in a dispute against them aswell. If this happens, it's BAD cause to that party it looks like you are disputing them for dollerinos and tryna scam. Usualy this only happens if you're not verified tho.

1 minute ago, Zappster said:

Not quite, paypal can't take funds from your bank account without permission.

What will happen is:

Your paypal acc will now show a negative balance and you'll need to add funds if you wish to use a paypal account with your name/address/email

OR

Any recent gifts/trades will be put on hold and you'll be held in a dispute against them aswell. If this happens, it's BAD cause to that party it looks like you are disputing them for dollerinos and tryna scam. Usualy this only happens if you're not verified tho.

Can confirm the latter only happens without linked CC/bank account. Because it indeed does look like you're trying to fuck someone else over.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2017 at 1:26 PM, LeBron said:

So they'll somehow go into my real life bank account and draw the funds from there? And if that has no funds they can't draw, or can they somehow make it -100? Because if my IRL bank account balance is $5 I won't be able to put in more than $5 to PayPal. Are you saying PayPal can somehow override this and draw more than what I have?

Be cautious with this scenario. As a banker, negative accounts can definitely impact your standings with other financial institutions as well and hurt your credit score (if your current financial institution decides to take action and file a collection). It's best, if you're thinking of "protecting yourself" to remove your bank account entirely from PayPal and also never verifying your SSN.