[Community Poll] Official OSBot Scripts

Alek

Do you mean like OSBot makes its own WC script and removes the current ones? Or OSBot creates its own and allow the current ones to remain as long as they're maintained? If it's the latter I'm all for it, the more the better! First option, not so much(I'll elaborate if it is the first you meant).

Also, while we're on the subject, wouldn't it be good to just remove scripts that aren't being updated? As in remove the ability to buy it until the author comes back and fixes it.

22 minutes ago, LeBron said:

Do you mean like OSBot makes its own WC script and removes the current ones? Or OSBot creates its own and allow the current ones to remain as long as they're maintained? If it's the latter I'm all for it, the more the better! First option, not so much(I'll elaborate if it is the first you meant).

Also, while we're on the subject, wouldn't it be good to just remove scripts that aren't being updated? As in remove the ability to buy it until the author comes back and fixes it.

Read the original post

Lets be real here, it's very, very difficult to incentivize someone enough to devote a large portion of their time for Runescape bot script maintenance. There's a pretty decent amount of faces that I see posting here regularly and that's great. Honestly I only notice Alek and Zach keeping OSbot running. I'm pretty new here and there might be some BTS action that I don't see from the other devs but that's my impression. I'm happy with the current state of OSbot and I do believe it can get better.

I don't want their time to be wasted on script development if that means they sacrifice more of their irl life to a website that they may do as a side hobby and get burnt (like a big competitor website you may know of). You have to realize that Alek and Zach have lives too. If they have to hire someone else on the side thats $$ right there and I'm not sure how much they need/month to upkeep Osbot. Long story short there needs to be a way to get more money in while providing premium scripts and someone to develop/maintain those premium scripts while also keeping a script market. This is a business ultimately and everything they provide for free is a privilege for us to use. They want to draw people in to use their client while also attracting script writers to use their client. That sweet spot needs to be found. 

Edited by turkoize

1 hour ago, turkoize said:

Lets be real here, it's very, very difficult to incentivize someone enough to devote a large portion of their time for Runescape bot script maintenance. There's a pretty decent amount of faces that I see posting here regularly and that's great. Honestly I only notice Alek and Zach keeping OSbot running. I'm pretty new here and there might be some BTS action that I don't see from the other devs but that's my impression. I'm happy with the current state of OSbot and I do believe it can get better.

I don't want their time to be wasted on script development if that means they sacrifice more of their irl life to a website that they may do as a side hobby and get burnt (like a big competitor website you may know of). You have to realize that Alek and Zach have lives too. If they have to hire someone else on the side thats $$ right there and I'm not sure how much they need/month to upkeep Osbot. Long story short there needs to be a way to get more money in while providing premium scripts and someone to develop/maintain those premium scripts while also keeping a script market. This is a business ultimately and everything they provide for free is a privilege for us to use. They want to draw people in to use their client while also attracting script writers to use their client. That sweet spot needs to be found. 

I think you underestimate how much time I spend on the SDN. Realistically if I removed all the scripts and wrote them myself, my client development time would drastically increase. Having scripters is a lot of time investment between mentoring (reviewing code, telling them what they need to do to improve), processing SDN requests, trying to maintain an honest and fair promotion system, etc.

19 minutes ago, Alek said:

I think you underestimate how much time I spend on the SDN. Realistically if I removed all the scripts and wrote them myself, my client development time would drastically increase. Having scripters is a lot of time investment between mentoring (reviewing code, telling them what they need to do to improve), processing SDN requests, trying to maintain an honest and fair promotion system, etc.

I didn't want to undermine your dedication to it I know you spend a lot of time there, but I'm also assuming you have a life outside of OSbot even though I'm sure it takes a lot of your time. I was trying to emphasize the problem that taking all these responsibilities yourself might cause burn out and make you not as passionate. 

So if you do, do everything yourself you'd save yourself the hassle of mentoring and everything along with it. Then you'd be sacrificing a lot more of your time and you have your own IRL responsibilities which are probably more important than this. 

Edit: For example take Trilez, the client development has stagnated because he's burnt out. I don't want that to happen to this client as well. 

Edited by turkoize

at what cost though?

inb4 you outlaw basic unpaid scripts:D

13 hours ago, Funfight said:

I support this just as long as you don't deny new scripts that are better than the official osbot scripts.

"but we would carefully review any new competitive scripts."

this scares me^

Ultimately I wanna say no because you guys are really tight on time as it is, you guys making new scripts just delays everything that already takes time. 

I just think if someone fucks up and leaves a chain of broken scripts (Gold scripts for e.g) you let a experienced scripter remake the script and replace it? I guess.. So all people who currently bought the script get the free auth for that. Then all new auths the new scripter gets the money for (I mean it'd be good incentive because it'd give them time to dominate that particular script market/or topic).

I.E let's say I release my gwd and it's the only gwd script on the sdn. Let's say one day I quit and the gwd breaks.

200 Users have bought my gwd.. right so 200 users are unhappy that it's broken.

So you remove it from the SDN, and ask a scripter (S2+ obviously) who wants to 'remake' or fix my scrippt because u own the source code anyway because u own all sdn sourcecode/scripts. 

Right so let's say Scripter X decides to recreate/or fix my script.. his incentive is to have a new gwd script for himself that'll give him money from new customers and the old existing customers can have a free auth for the new remade script.

Both parties benefit imo, the only con i can think of is no one wanting to volunteer but give me s2 and i'll make some good scriptz i promis

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Funfight said:

b4 they have the right to reject a well written premium script that surpasses their own script

i think they have honest intentions, like making more money lol , let the users decide which script is right and wrong, if someone bails well, my loss,

i lost considerable amount of scripts when we updated from osbot 1 to 2 many scripters said fuck it and this wasnt even an issue back then

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gearing said:

i think they have honest intentions, like making more money lol , let the users decide which script is right and wrong, if someone bails well, my loss,

i lost considerable amount of scripts when we updated from osbot 1 to 2 many scripters said fuck it and this wasnt even an issue back then

for sure, i just hope they keep it honest and don't dictate which scripts will be on the SDN

• Mio locked this topic