Need Urgent Advise

Viston

As most of you people in chatbox already know that I recently got a job as a Web Developer. This job has had a huge negative impact on my life, but not sure if that is actually a negative impact, I'll go deeper into this. So basically, I've been working for around 3 weeks now, and I work for the husband's wife. She wants to open her own clothing line, and she doesn't have much experience about anything "Computing" related. So, I've got this job offered, I'm responsible of creating a fully functional e-commerce website from scratch, not using any drag & drop software/tools/websites.

Here are some things I would like to point out, and if someone that used to work or is working in a programming environment, can give me a little guidance if this is right or wrong.

Here is a little backstory of how a typical week is for me at the moment, excluding holidays. I'm a Uni student, going to university 3 times a week (Bunch of assignments needs to be done from home), I'm supposed to work part time, for £100 a week that's equivalent to $135. However, I work way more than the typical part time hours, I easily exceed 40-50 hours a week working on the site, which till this point, has got me into so much stress, that I would literally just get sick and have fevers on and off. I'm at the office 3 times a week, doing 12 hours each shift, from 11 am till 11:30 pm. Just these hours are more than normal part time hours in the UK. I would get home, and still think about work literally all the time, and whether I can meet this deadline and that.

I'm basically a lone wolf, I got till the end of January to have this website finished from scratch. I'm responsible for creating everything front-end and back-end by myself without any help. Keep in mind, I only know Html & Css, and some Javascript, literally 0 clue about PhP. 

• First question I would like an answer to, am I supposed to do everything front-end and back-end purely by myself without any support from other developers? Is that normal in such an environment? I've always known that usually work like that is split between two or more developers, that expertise in different sections.
  • Should I just work the hours I'm supposed to work (According to the pay I'm getting).
  • Should I just let go?
  • Should I ask for more pay? If so, how much do you reckon?

My Boss, and her knowledge.

Past few days, I've had enough, and decided to bring this up with my female boss, and try and put some sense into her brain, before I end up in jail. So, I started to go through each and every step of creating a functional e-commerce website, and what needs to be done, and how long it'll take. I wrote a thousand word text on whatsapp, and she didn't respond. 3 days later (today), I receive a text from her, telling me that she needs the website done by late January. I was like :???: There is no way in hell I'll finish this shit by the end of January, I would at least need another 3 months to complete this. I'm alone, only supposed to work part time, and I study too. She was like "No... I want it done by late January, make time for it, I need it" I started to tell her about my circumstances and she still insists of it being finished by January.

Is this a normal environment, should I just take it to the chin and go along with it? Can a web developer with moderate experience be able to finish a fully functional website with products, images, order confirmations, tracking number, email template which carries the order confirmation which is sent to the customer after purchase, within a month?

I've come to the point, where I can't take any more bullshit from anyone.

TL;DR

I'm a web developer working on a e-commerce clothing website from scratch, no plugins and shits, exceeding 40-50 hours a week, for £100 a week or $135. Forced to do Back-end and Front-end purely by myself, and have until late January to completely finish the website.

REFER TO THE QUESTIONS IN BULLET POINTS.

Edited by Viston

If you were a one man startup company you'd be expected to do everything yourself but in real life no one ever expects you to do everything alone. On top of that, I don't know how they expect you to make a secure back end if you haven't dealt with this kind of stuff before. Also You're being paid slave labor, you'd prolly get more value for your time if you botted on runescape.

• Like 3

If shes giving you a problem say i need more time or you can use someone else to finish the service. If she tries to take you to court you explained to her that when she needs it done by isnt a realistic date and what she paid you is for what you were able to complete. Offer to give everything you have atm over to another person if she wants to go that route. Dont let her take advantage of you, if anything push out a shit site that has half the functions she wants and say on your free time you can work to better it for more money.

• Like 2

For that pay, it's not worth your time imo. It seems as if it also might be beneficial to work elsewhere, where you have colleagues who you can learn more off of. Making $135 for 40-50 hours a week under very stressful circumstances all while being a student just doesn't seem like a good fit.

9 minutes ago, IDontEB said:

If you were a one man startup company you'd be expected to do everything yourself but in real life no one ever expects you to do everything alone. On top of that, I don't know how they expect you to make a secure back end if you haven't dealt with this kind of stuff before. Also You're being paid slave labor, you'd prolly get more value for your time if you botted on runescape.

8 minutes ago, Antonio Kala said:

Why did they hire you at the start if they didn't think you could complete the task they needed?

7 minutes ago, daamurda said:

If shes giving you a problem say i need more time or you can use someone else to finish the service. If she tries to take you to court you explained to her that when she needs it done by isnt a realistic date and what she paid you is for what you were able to complete. Offer to give everything you have atm over to another person if she wants to go that route. Dont let her take advantage of you, if anything push out a shit site that has half the functions she wants and say on your free time you can work to better it for more money.

6 minutes ago, Dbuffed said:

By the sounds of it you chose to do it without thinking further.

If you feel you're in trouble, explain it further to them and try get out of it as £100 a week really isn't going to get you anywhere.

At first, I was supposed to work along side other developers, that are working on a minicab website. All of a sudden, that dumb bitch decided to create her own clothing line, since she saw that they got a new recruit and I didn't mind how much I get weekly. (Keep in mind, I was expecting to be paid fair and square according to the hours I'm working) She slowly started to push the limits, putting more work on my back, so that she can get her precious clothing line up and running, since she doesn't want to lose £1k on winter clothing (Hence why she wants it done by late January, so people can buy them).

Our deal and handshake was that I'll be working with at least one other developer on the website, and there was no deadline on when the site should be finished. Which everything has changed now. I'm alone, expecting me to finish a whole project by myself within a month, for £100, get the fuck out of here.

Edited by Viston

You're in a shit situation, so let me try and help:

• Am I supposed to do everything front-end and back-end purely by myself without any support from other developers?

You're expected to yes. It's called being a full-stack developer. If you're not a full-stack developer, then let her know immediately and drop the project.

• Is that normal in such an environment?

Yes. It's called being in business; your boss has obligations to meet too. However, in programming--programming especially--deadlines are a flimsy term. You should negotiate them with at least +50% additional time, because it's better to seen to deliver early than late.

• Should I just work the hours I'm supposed to work?

Yes. You're an uni-student; part-time work is okay as long as it's part-time. Focus on your studies, because you're paying a very high fucking premium for it. A few $ or £ here and there will mean jack fucking shit if you fail your studies. If you can, drop the work altogether and focus on your studies.

• Should I just let go?

Yes. You're not a full-stack developer and you're a student. Don't start working for real until you've got a degree behind you.

• Should I ask for more pay? If so, how much do you reckon?

From who...? The part-time job's not going to pay you much more unless you're exemplary to them. The person you're doing the web stuff for should definitely be paying you more, A LOT FUCKING MORE, if you're expected to be a lone full-stack developer erecting an entire e-commerce website. Look at what you can earn as a full-stack developer.

My advice to you:

• Drop the work altogether and finish your studies.
  • If you can't afford to do that, then drop the web project and stick to your part-time work. PART-TIME, NOT ZERO-HOURS UNTIL IT'S BASICALLY FULL-TIME, BUT AT PART-TIME RATES.
  • If you can't afford to do that either, then tell your boss they shouldn't expect an all-singing-all-dancing website. You don't have the time; you're not a full-stack dev (or tell them they're not treating/paying you as though you were); and e-commerce is a whole separate beast to wrangle.

If you want to keep the web project then tell your boss they can expect a static webpage that show cases their products and informs them of their business address and phone number. Nothing more; nothing less.

Also, if you're working 50 hours a week for just £100, then you my friend are a dumb ass motherfucker. I can't stress to you how bad pay that is. That's legit £2/hour.

Edited by liverare
  • Like 2
  • Boge 1