[Community Poll] Official OSBot Scripts

Alek

7 hours ago, gearing said:

dictate they wont, manipulate they might.

You know I have scripts on the SDN, if I wanted to I could remove Khaleesi's and Czar's woodcutters. 

7 hours ago, Funfight said:

for sure, i just hope they keep it honest and don't dictate which scripts will be on the SDN

I already dictate which scripts can be on the SDN.

8 hours ago, Saiyan said:

Ultimately I wanna say no because you guys are really tight on time as it is, you guys making new scripts just delays everything that already takes time

I spend more time working on SDN related things than I do client development. If you think this will take away from client development time, it's really untrue. 

7 hours ago, Funfight said:

b4 they have the right to reject a well written premium script that surpasses their own script

Not sure if you have been reading this topic, I already stated the pros and cons of an OSBot Official Script. I really hate having to reiterate the same points over, and over, and over again, but an OSBot Official Script would only provide the bare bones of a script in the category. For instance a woodcutter would not have plank support, special trees, customizations, etc.

Hmm why not add official scripts but not make them sellable, only authable as compensation? This way scripters win, devs win, and users win..

As for scripts being barebones, from a marketing point of view a script labelled as 'Official' will outrank any full-featured script by far, which means no matter how many features my woodcutter has, if yours has the name official in front of it, and has the main (the popular) trees, guess which one is getting more sales..

EDIT:

As for sdn time, when is an SDN officer going to be recruited? Less power than an sdn manager but useful for outsourcing some of scripter management (sdn upload requests, guiding them etc). I remember the rank was announced last year but nothing ever happened, not even more dialogue. Can there at least be a movement or some dialogue on choosing an sdn officer in the script developers section?

Edited by Czar

The offical scripts sound good; however I support other people's opinions regarding that they may have 'superioity' over normal; even paid scripts.

What about people who feel they've been let down by a script/no longer works; either a partial refund (can the script writer be billed?), a voucher?, or someone on the site releases sort of 'cover up' premium scripts (would be a big task for someonone however). So the cover ups are only handed out freely to those who have previously bought a script which no longer functions - excluding super complicated scripts if that makes sesne.

Say if someone buys a woodcutter for $4 and 2 months later is breaks and the scripter leaves; then an equvilent (written almost break free, excluding major updates) would be given to the person  -so their not being effectively felt like their left out in the rain.

Thanks.

On 4/23/2017 at 7:19 PM, Alek said:

The issue isn't broken scripts, I feel like nobody really read the original post. The issue is people who buy scripts and then the scripts become broken. The issue is NOT people buying broken scripts.

Ohh that makes sense. The answer is simple.

You take the broken script and give it to some S2 to fix it and maintain it. 

You own all the source on the SDN so you have the power to do this.

7 hours ago, obasan said:

Ohh that makes sense. The answer is simple.

You take the broken script and give it to some S2 to fix it and maintain it. 

You own all the source on the SDN so you have the power to do this.

Give it to some s2, what if no s2 wants to do it? Ever thought about that?

21 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

Give it to some s2, what if no s2 wants to do it? Ever thought about that?

If the script breaks in the first place, it's usually due to the script being written poorly (unless a very large game mechanic changed). In which case an S2 may not make it better, especially with the widely varying coding styles. Essentially scripts would have to be re-written. Aside from this fact, how would I determine which lucky scripter 2/3 gets the script? It would then be playing into favorites because we would essentially just be handing people a bucket of money. 

On 4/23/2017 at 0:42 PM, ez11 said:

yeah but what incentive can you give someone whos in his final year of university/starts working fulltime so he has no time to work on his scripts or simply wants to focus on more important things in life?

I highly doubt that even czar or khaleesi make enough money from their sales for them to prioritise osbot over a fulltime job/uni if they have to decide.

You seriously underestimate how much money you can make from script development. I wouldn't be surprised if both of them were pulling in $3-5 grand per month.

OT: I feel like this whole idea of an "Official Script" is needlessly complex and really doesn't make sense. Just have script developers agree to relinquish all rights to their work in the event that, I don't know, their script breaks for longer than 30 days. You could then just pawn the script off onto whoever (I'm assuming OSBot isn't ever going to be without at least one developer) and now they have the rights to that script, it's revenue, users, etc.

Edited by Swizzbeat
  • Like 2

On April 25, 2017 at 3:27 AM, Czar said:

Hmm why not add official scripts but not make them sellable, only authable as compensation? This way scripters win, devs win, and users win..

As for scripts being barebones, from a marketing point of view a script labelled as 'Official' will outrank any full-featured script by far, which means no matter how many features my woodcutter has, if yours has the name official in front of it, and has the main (the popular) trees, guess which one is getting more sales..

EDIT:

As for sdn time, when is an SDN officer going to be recruited? Less power than an sdn manager but useful for outsourcing some of scripter management (sdn upload requests, guiding them etc). I remember the rank was announced last year but nothing ever happened, not even more dialogue. Can there at least be a movement or some dialogue on choosing an sdn officer in the script developers section?

Support

On 4/26/2017 at 0:38 AM, Swizzbeat said:

You seriously underestimate how much money you can make from script development. I wouldn't be surprised if both of them were pulling in $3-5 grand per month.

OT: I feel like this whole idea of an "Official Script" is needlessly complex and really doesn't make sense. Just have script developers agree to relinquish all rights to their work in the event that, I don't know, their script breaks for longer than 30 days. You could then just pawn the script off onto whoever (I'm assuming OSBot isn't ever going to be without at least one developer) and now they have the rights to that script, it's revenue, users, etc.

I doubt they're pulling that kind of cash anymore. Maybe in the beginning but not anymore. Their scripts are a one time fee, not a monthly subscription. 

• Mio locked this topic