[RIDDLE] Where Did My Money Go?!?!

ProjectPact

You and two of your best friends go on a scuba-diving trip off the coast of Florida. After arriving to the dock, you proceed to go find out how much it is for you and your friends to go diving. You approach the booth and the young lady informs you that the price is going to be $10 dollars a person. Your friends agree to the price, and each hand you $10. Total, you have $30 in your hands (including the $10 dollars admission for yourself). While paying for your tickets, the captain walks up and notices that you and your friends have never been before, and decides to cut you guys a deal. He took off $5 dollars from the entire total, but kept $2 dollars as a tip. So, instead of paying $10 dollars a person, everyone really only paid $9. So, the trip was originally $30 for everyone together, however the captain cut you guys a deal making everyone only have to pay $9, which equals $27 dollars total. The captain also kept a $2 dollar tip for himself from the money that was given back from the deal ($27 + $2 = $29). What happened to the other dollar?

Warning this contains the answer

LOL guys, calm down. After seeing everyone just getting more mad at my story more than understanding what I am doing, I am going to leave you with this... It is called a riddle for a reason hahahahahha. Yes I know how to do math, and yes I know what I wrote. The point was, I was asking you to do your order of operation wrong to see the calculation I was showing you. If you subtract before you multiply, your answer will be different than what it should be ($30). Hence why I kept saying $9 x 3. Because I already did the subtraction for you. Of course, if you do your order of operations correctly (which a lot of you did) then you will see that it actually does equal $30.

Someone attempt to rewrite it in a better way to not give away the order of operation error as easily. 

i would have been $25 payment, 3$ cheaper each + the $2 tip making it $30 emote32342.png

That's what I said though, right? :)

Everyone originally paid $10, but got $1 back, ending up only having to pay $9 each.

So if everyone paid $9 each, that would be $9 x 3 = $27. 

The captain kept $2 as a tip for himself. 

$27 + $2 = $29

That's what I said though, right? smile.png

Everyone originally paid $10, but got $1 back, ending up only having to pay $9 each.

$27 + $2 = $29

Original price $30.

Captain gave $5 off, but out of that $5 he kept 2.

meaning 25+3 = 28 + the $2 tip.

25/3=$8.33 dank offer

are you okay?

Edited by Zerker
  • Like 1

Original price $30.

Captain gave $5 off, but out of that $5 he kept 2.

meaning 25+3 = 28 + the $2 tip.

25/3=$8.33 dank offer

are you okay?

$27 + $2 = $29

You can't have two different version of the riddle.

originally he gives a $5 discount but asks for a $2 tip making it $27.

Then you say he gives it to them for $9 each.

they're conflicting answers.

Edited by Zerker

$27 + $2 = $29

Rip i messed up l0l 

Edited by Decode

You can't have two different version of the riddle.

originally he gives a $5 discount but asks for a $2 tip making it $27.

Then you say he gives it to them for $9 each.

they're conflicting answers.

"So, instead of paying $10 dollars a person, everyone really only paid $9. "

He took off $5 dollars from the entire total, but kept $2 dollars as a tip. 

= $3 saved. Meaning that from the original 30, you only paid $27. You got to keep the other $3 amongst yourselves. There is no $29. You had the original question, then convoluted it into 2, so the captain got to keep $4 in total, which is incorrect.

You had 30. You paid $27. You kept $3.

30 - 27 = 3.

Basic math.

Edited by Imateamcape

You and two of your best friends go on a scuba-diving trip off the coast of Florida. After arriving to the dock, you proceed to go find out how much it is for you and your friends to go diving. You approach the booth and the young lady informs you that the price is going to be $10 dollars a person. Your friends agree to the price, and each hand you $10. Total, you have $30 in your hands (including the $10 dollars admission for yourself). While paying for your tickets, the captain walks up and notices that you and your friends have never been before, and decides to cut you guys a deal. He took off $5 dollars from the entire total, but kept $2 dollars as a tip. So, instead of paying $10 dollars a person, everyone really only paid $9. So, the trip was originally $30 for everyone together, however the captain cut you guys a deal making everyone only have to pay $9, which equals $27 dollars total. The captain also kept a $2 dollar tip for himself from the money that was given back from the deal ($27 + $2 = $29). What happened to the other dollar?

You've definitely dun-goofed here.

Imagine you're still holding the money, and dont give it back to your friends.

30$ in your hands = 10$ each

He takes 5$ off the price of the boat trip = 25$ but wants a 2$ tip = new cost of 27$

27/3 = 9$ per person

Why are you suddenly giving the captain another 2$ tip?

Regardless, the damn dollar is in your hand where its always been.