I have been botting for a very long time and have successfully gotten to total levels of 1600 by just botting and minimal gameplay. Though not a great achievement, its a nice milestone and I know there are better experienced botters out there but here are my 2 cents.
My tips would be for beginners is:
1. Get ready to get banned several times before you find a certain thing you can bot safely, by this I mean through the hours and hours of time spent on trying to figure out how not to get banned, you figure out certain things that are less likely to get you banned. To name a few, I'd say stay away from woodcutting/hunting/agility or just general resource gathering skills used for bot farming gold. I dont mean dont bot them, I just mean bot way less and more infrequently and sporadically then having a systematic approach.
2. Always use mirror-mode - stealth is easily picked up, and mirror mode actually lessens the rate by a lot.
3. Instanced activities are generally safer - to name a few I'd say NMZ, etc.
4. try not to make ur botting activities systematic. By this I mean dont bot or assign things in certains hours and don't create a system that you have to bot x and y hours. The more you randomize your botting activities and change between activities the less you get banned. To get a better understanding you can read up upon how botting clients are detected and what behaviours cause them to be also.
5. Always check forum posts of scripts before running them for long hours, people tend to give feedback and vent on forums about how long a script ran, how well it ran and generally going through it can tell you how the script is doing in its current state, etc.
6. always change IP after a ban.
7. Be aware of jagex hours and how bans are rolled. There are 2 types of ban, 2 days ban are generally done manually and it means a mod spotted your account botting or went through it and deemed it as a botted account ( correct me if I'm wrong ), this for me could mean many things that I was caught in the act and maybe I should lessen my time there or find another spot thats less checked etc. Through playing rsps and coding them I believe mods generally scout areas for bots and do manual temp bans while being invisible. So I'd say if you find a spot or thing thats bottable, adding a extra layer would be to have that spot being unknown or very less visited. As this means you recieve less reports as well.
Feel free to ask if you have any questions.