Why get a degree in CS?

Qubit

Okay, so right now I am pursuing a B.S in Computer Science and a minor in Discrete Mathematics. I plan on focusing my courses around cyber security and algorithms/A.I.  But I'm becoming more and more hesitant of my choice of major. My overall problem I am having is 

1. Whats the probability I'll be attaining a job that is below my skill level, such as web development or app development. 

2. What's my job security. Everyone online says C.S degrees are useless because anyone can learn how to program and get a job. Then I go on google and find tons of responses showing successful people who didn't have a C.S degree getting a programming job. I don't want to waste my money on school if my degree is useless.

So for you people out in the tech world, all comments are encouraged and welcome..

Also, what do you think is a better minor for a CS major

-Discrete Mathematics

-Robotics Engineering 

I confirm CS degree 100% useless. There are so many jobs in IT you don't even need a degree and will be paid better than most of the other jobs anyway. As for getting a job below your level, simply turn it down. It's not that hard. If you are actually above its level then you will have better offers.

I don't think I have ever seen a person get a job without programming experience or a degree equivalent in the field of technology. Its like saying you can become a Doctor even though you studied business and finance. I don't know how things work in America but being a Software Engineer myself in the UK jobs look for two things:

1. A degree in a computer related fieid - crutial

2. Programming experience in several different languages (VITAL- if you don't have this its the same as getting 404 page error when you submit your cv theoretically :doge:)

I am in my final 2 months of my Software Engineer degree and all Jobs i've applied to have asked for programming experience. In terms of app developement + web development, I got a app developement job after being interviewed and the first thing they wanted to see was prior experience of programming apps, so whatever you want to do research AND DO IT PROPERLY. 99% sure the reviews you read are bullshit.

• Like 1

1. Whats the probability I'll be attaining a job that is below my skill level, such as web development or app development. 

Since software is become more and more web-oriented, it's getting harder and harder to escape web-development.

Same goes for mobile applications / integration. Not sure why you'd think those are below any skill level but ok.

2. What's my job security. Everyone online says C.S degrees are useless because anyone can learn how to program and get a job. Then I go on google and find tons of responses showing successful people who didn't have a C.S degree getting a programming job. I don't want to waste my money on school if my degree is useless.

A degree can make up for the lack of a portfolio. If you don't have a portfolio then a degree is pretty much the only option to certify your knowledge.

A degree not only certifies knowledge but also discipline and persistence, some corporations find those important, others not so much.

If you have the passion, discipline and time to consistently continue learning on your own and are willing to work on a strong portfolio on top of that, then MAYBE a degree becomes a useless expense to you.

• Like 3

Since software is become more and more web-oriented, it's getting harder and harder to escape web-development.

Same goes for mobile applications / integration. Not sure why you'd think those are below any skill level but ok.

I don't know this probably will sound really snobbish. But what I intend to do in my lifetime through my career is to evolve and progress society. I want to be that person who helps send people to space, program robots to do necessary petty jobs or do something that some how improves and builds onto today's technology. Unless I'm getting billions and finding a new social media app, I don't want to work in consumerism where I program apps and back end websites to satisfy someone's inessential needs. 

Edited by Qubit

Many companies will list their minimum qualifications, most of which state a degree (Bachelor's degree, or even specifically state B.S., B.A.). If you don't have the qualification, you better have a very strong background with a portfolio of large successful projects. Simply "I know Java but I don't have a degree" is not good enough.

• Like 1

Go on indeed.com (Assuming you're from the US) and look up jobs such as IT manager, Systems administrator, network engineer, software engineer, etc etc. They will all say the minimum requirement is B.S. in computer science or a similar degree. Wanting to work in the computer science field in this day and age without a degree is silly.

You can get certifications, but unless you have a portfolio of insane projects you've worked on, and a lot of prior experience, you're not really going to get anything.

You will either need a degree in computer science or software engineering, or a very impressive portfolio.

Pretty much every large company will ask for a degree, most smaller companies will too, but some small companies you can get by with just a portfolio.

Considering you will be competing with graduates, not having a degree in CS or SE will leave you at a significant disadvantage.

As for the minor question, personally I would choose Discrete Mathematics unless you already have an understanding of it / are particularly interested in Robotics

Edited by Explv

I don't know this probably will sound really snobbish. But what I intend to do in my lifetime through my career is to evolve and progress society. I want to be that person who helps send people to space, program robots to do necessary petty jobs or do something that some how improves and builds onto today's technology. 

Sounds like research is your thing, good luck become a researcher without academic training :p