Give Mods a TRIAL Before Making Them Mods With Full Mod Power?

Mackadizzle

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mods be put through a 1-2 week trial and judged by the community before they're actually allowed to be mods?

• Yes
    • No

Or, give them full mod, and if they don't do well, take it away.

This lol, even though its biased towards you since your new mod and these topic is probably about you but yeah.

I wouldn't really say it's biased towards me, since I was already given mod, and this is about before making someone a mod.

I'd support this is you were able to apply to be a moderator, but the current mods were all hand picked.

I thought about this for a while before creating the staff team. After plenty of thinking, definitely not.

Pros:

- Superficial reassurance that makes random members feel more secure about the soon to be global or soon to be not global.

Cons:

- Hidden image of the user's real intentions. (They'll step up their game during trial and drop it once they have global. All you're doing is showing them that they've passed the test stage and you're implying that their position is now secure.)

- More work for everyone.

- More complaints by members about the trial moderator.

- Unable to limit moderation abilities, meaning they would technically be a global.

• Like 2

Someone getting mod isn't a procedure taken lightly at all.

I'm sure anyone who gets mod is well deserving of it if the other staff thinks so.

I see no reason to limit them at all.

Let them be a mod, they can learn as they go, and when in doubt they can ask someone more experienced first before swinging their big epeen around.

I'm a member of various forums and I've never seen it done this way either, I think it's fine as is.

I agree to this, 100%.

I think mods should be given a trial, without full mod power, but basically the same. Just test them out, see how they would do if they were given all that power

I could see the trial working like this - Theyll be labeled as a training moderator, and every action they make, whether its locking threads, banning, hiding posts/thread, must be reviewed by an actual moderator or admin before it actually happens.

This mod will be judged by the community, other mods, and admins at the end of the trial period

This wil stop everyone from bitching about new mods and current mods, who haven't seemed to even earn the position in the eyes of the community in the first place

I like your idea, but I think @Raflesia screens them over time like check their behavior, helpfulness, reports, etc.

I don't think community feedback matters as much since the ultimate decision is up to the staff.

There will always be people bitching. With that said, I still like your idea.

No support, when the staff promotes an user it is because he/she deserves it and we put faith in them.

Giving them a small piece of the "power" isn't going to help.

In fact they barely can do anything, I have seen this on other forums and it's a bad idea as the trial barely can proof himself/herself with such a little acess.

Also the community shouldn't decide whetever someone should stay or not, those opinions are only biased on how much you like/dislike the person, or out of jealousy.

The staff team has promoted 2 new Moderators, and they are doing great, so what's up?

• Like 1

Support, for reasons stated.

• It let's all the community know they're on trial so it will save a lot of members bitching about new moderators (like the situation with Anne.)
  • If they're bad in the trial period as a Mod they can fall back on the "we're trial mods for a reason", this gets them out of any situation they may not be comfortable with.
  • It also gives them a taster and after the trial period IF offered a spot on the staff team they can then choose yes/no based on their experience.

Full support on this.

Put someone on a trial and they could (and most likely will) act very good, but as soon as they "have the position secured" they will change

I would support it in the future possibly .. as of now though, I'm not convinced. No support.

this,

and it would be a paradise for trolls, no support. i see absolutely no point in this, as when a mod isn't doing good, you can just take away the mod rank :P

I think mods should be given a trial, without full mod power, but basically the same. Just test them out, see how they would do if they were given all that power

I could see the trial working like this - Theyll be labeled as a training moderator, and every action they make, whether its locking threads, banning, hiding posts/thread, must be reviewed by an actual moderator or admin before it actually happens.

This mod will be judged by the community, other mods, and admins at the end of the trial period

As Kati said, this is technically not possible (unless I write a plugin for this, and change a lot of the current moderator API).

I don't really see a reason to do so though.

As said by several people, trial moderators would do everything to look good, but when they have the promotion in their pocket, they will change. This will only cause more issues.

Moderators are picked carefully and are screened by me before any promotion takes place. I also do a few tests with them, without them knowing I am testing their moderator capabilities. I can promise that I take promotions really serious, and I really believe in the moderators we pick.

This wil stop everyone from bitching about new mods and current mods, who haven't seemed to even earn the position in the eyes of the community in the first place

There will always be complains towards moderators, those turns out false most of the times, luckily.

People will always complain when they receive a infraction, it is the same as hating the police just because you received a fine, which was in your eyes unnecessary, although you know that you were misbehaving.

• Like 2