Best web development framework to start with?

Qubit

Sup, I am just wondering if someone could recommend the best framework for me to start with to build a web application I have an idea about. I've been programming in Java for about 6 years now  (Current Masters student in CS), and know cpp, python, and etc..   But I never touched web dev stuff really besides maybe a little js and HTML. Thus I am looking for recommendations for frameworks/stacks that I could easily grasp and start taking off with?

7 hours ago, Qubit said:

Sup, I am just wondering if someone could recommend the best framework for me to start with to build a web application I have an idea about. I've been programming in Java for about 6 years now  (Current Masters student in CS), and know cpp, python, and etc..   But I never touched web dev stuff really besides maybe a little js and HTML. Thus I am looking for recommendations for frameworks/stacks that I could easily grasp and start taking off with?

Python has great web frameworks, notably flask and Django, would highly recommend. They also have template support for generating web pages, although I would suggest you split the front end and back end.

For frontend look into react or angular.

Edited by Explv

• 1 year later...

Personal recommendation for the frontend would definitely be Reactjs. While I've never used angular so I can't give a fair comparison, React is fairly easy to work with and will let you develop frontend applications easily. From the little angular code I've looked at, angular seems a lot more cluttered and less modular when working with it (though this could be wrong, it was my first impression).

For backend, you could use django or flask if you want to stick with python, or try learning typescript and using node.js; Typescript being effectively javascript that allows for typing (All javascript code will work in typescript, but not vice versa).

• Like 1

Old thread (2019) and was gravedug, but if anyone's wondering today and needs some help, here's a quick breakdown of 2020:

• Python/django is good, a lot of libs/resources out there, but eye-sore to read/code with. I don't know much about this but I can say Django is INSANELY good. Some people have praised flask but I've never used it before. 
  • Node/Deno js is good, easy to understand, can also be an eyesore if doing typescript as opposed to es6. Front-end: React JS is good, flutter is the BiS nowadays (performance) but it's annoying to code. Back-end using express js which is decent nowadays. React native is getting web support in 2020 so 1 codebase for everything, and can combine it with nodejs to get a full scope of 1 language which is pretty neat, but totally trivial.
  • Java/C# is really good but it's showing it's age now, good if you already know java or if you're working for a company that uses those languages heavily. A lot of documentation is available too, especially for Java 8.
  • PHP was the goat back in the day but now there's better things. (hint hint reactjs just got routes in 2020 which php had for >decade now). Laravel is a good framework (slightly annoying to code), with Voyager for the admin panel, and it's completely free as opposed to node's dashboards. Remember PHP has A LOT of libs/resources, the most out of everything here, except maybe on par with python. A lot of companies use this, alongside wordpress.
  • For storage, mongodb/nosql is good nowadays, can either squeeze in some postgres and pair it with sequelize js if doing node/deno ^
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 10/15/2020 at 7:04 PM, Czar said:

Old thread (2019) and was gravedug, but if anyone's wondering today and needs some help, here's a quick breakdown of 2020:

• Python/django is good, a lot of libs/resources out there, but eye-sore to read/code with. I don't know much about this but I can say Django is INSANELY good. Some people have praised flask but I've never used it before. 
  • Node/Deno js is good, easy to understand, can also be an eyesore if doing typescript as opposed to es6. Front-end: React JS is good, flutter is the BiS nowadays (performance) but it's annoying to code. Back-end using express js which is decent nowadays. React native is getting web support in 2020 so 1 codebase for everything, and can combine it with nodejs to get a full scope of 1 language which is pretty neat, but totally trivial.
  • Java/C# is really good but it's showing it's age now, good if you already know java or if you're working for a company that uses those languages heavily. A lot of documentation is available too, especially for Java 8.
  • PHP was the goat back in the day but now there's better things. (hint hint reactjs just got routes in 2020 which php had for >decade now). Laravel is a good framework (slightly annoying to code), with Voyager for the admin panel, and it's completely free as opposed to node's dashboards. Remember PHP has A LOT of libs/resources, the most out of everything here, except maybe on par with python. A lot of companies use this, alongside wordpress.
  • For storage, mongodb/nosql is good nowadays, can either squeeze in some postgres and pair it with sequelize js if doing node/deno ^

yo said python was an eye-sore to read/code lmao

• 2 years later...

It's interesting to look back at your post from three years ago, where you were seeking advice on the best web development framework to start with. It's great to see your enthusiasm for expanding your skills beyond your Java and programming background. Considering your experience, frameworks like Spring Boot or Java-based options could have been a smooth introduction to web development. Additionally, exploring frontend frameworks like React could have aligned well with your familiarity with JavaScript.

While the specific landscape might have evolved over the years, the essence of your question remains relevant. For those starting out in web development, https://jasper.studio offers insights and resources that could have aided you in your journey. It's always exciting to see someone with a strong programming foundation venture into new realms.

Edited by NoeKorn

• 4 months later...

Exciting journey ahead! Given your Java background, diving into Spring Boot for web dev could be seamless. It aligns well with your programming expertise. Add in some Thymeleaf templates, and you're on a smooth ride. Also, you can use Magento customization services to make it work better. Good luck!

Edited by Entonman