Decompile .Jar for learning purposes

Vogelbekdier

58 minutes ago, Vogelbekdier said:

Learning OOP and have been making some basic scripts.

Currently still learning a lot from looking at others scripters code in tutorials etc.

Wondering if it is possible/allowed to decompile .jar files to access the code to learn from?

I mean like IMO it's really not cool to decompile someone else's jar file. If you want something to look at - find something that is open source.

2 hours ago, Vogelbekdier said:

Learning OOP and have been making some basic scripts.

Currently still learning a lot from looking at others scripters code in tutorials etc.

Wondering if it is possible/allowed to decompile .jar files to access the code to learn from?

Don't ask for shit like this lol. Just do it.

Java is easily decompiled, and you can find a lot of decompilers online for free.

If you're gonna "steal" other peoples code, please let them know before doing so.

Yep you can decompile but the code may end up looking messed up so it's not really valuable in terms of learning, but if you wanna find values/configs/ids or just wanna see how someone implemented something, sure it can work. However, if you know what to search for, there are a lot of open source scripts, ranging from barrows scripts to slayer scripts, just gotta know where to look ^^ :D 

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I've always had an issue reading other peoples code because you not only have to read the code but you have to try and understand the logic.

That being said I would suggest to just challenge yourself with tougher scripts.

One of the most important skills in programming is being able to understand other people's code :) (and of course write code that other people can understand)

But yes like other people have said, there are plenty of open source scripts around, just look at those.

3 hours ago, Explv said:

One of the most important skills in programming is being able to understand other people's code :) (and of course write code that other people can understand)

But yes like other people have said, there are plenty of open source scripts around, just look at those.

Hey, Explv thanks for your reply, and thank you even more for your tutorials and snippets as well as the open source docs you've posted on OSBOT.

As someone trying to learn it has helped me greatly to understand the structure and layout of basic scripts as well as more complicated tasks. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AsBakedAsCake said:

I mean like IMO it's really not cool to decompile someone else's jar file. If you want something to look at - find something that is open source.

I understand hence why I made the post. By no means am I trying to steal from anyone's work but going through open source scripts and tutorials have helped me greatly to understand the structure and also learn how to use the API. The tutorial and snippet section has been very helpful but unfortunately, some of the threads are outdated with broken links or unfinished, some have .JAR files still attached however that could still be useful as they are referenced to the tutorials.