Using proxy vs. home IP address for botting

Noob2Bot

I have recently got back to botting and need advice whether to use bought proxy (each account separate one) or just home address (for all accounts the same; got banned on it before).

I would think that using separate proxys is less banable while it also prevents chain-bans. However, I have also read that it might increase your chance of getting banned.

That beind said, all thoughts on this topic are most welcome!

1 hour ago, Noob2Bot said:

I have recently got back to botting and need advice whether to use bought proxy (each account separate one) or just home address (for all accounts the same; got banned on it before).

I would think that using separate proxys is less banable while it also prevents chain-bans. However, I have also read that it might increase your chance of getting banned.

My thought is that you are correct mate :D Having less accounts per IP would decrease the ban rate, but it could increase due the proxy itself. Best way is to test how it goes for you :) 

I bot on my home IP and only accounts that are accused of botting get banned. I even transfer the funds from my main to my bots.

An IP is just a money grab unless you plan on running 3 or more accounts on the same IP that hold a lot of risk to be associated to one another. Even then you might not need a proxy. I think what Jagex is most concerned about in regards to IP is account hijacking.

But even if you can get a good reliable proxy provider, they have other methods to detect bots. You may as well save your money and start small until you find a fool proof method with a low ban percentage then scale out your network and incorporate the proxies at that stage. Until then the cost is probably higher than the risk.

6 hours ago, Noob2Bot said:

in my experience:

• using home ip results in lower chance of getting perm banned/recieving a 2day, but you cant unban it
  • using a proxy gets you banned/never got a 2day ban via proxy afaik, but you have the chance to remove that blackmark claiming it was hijacked

tbh unless you farm dozens of accs home ip is just fine:

http://prntscr.com/p6veal

weeks of 10/7 nmz botting, yet to get banned, knocking on wood

cheers

Thank you everyone for your replies! As I will scale my bot farm to a lot of bots, I have decided to use proxies instead of my home address.

With this in mind, I would just like to know what is the difference between "residental proxy" and a normal proxy and which should I use to bot my accounts on?

It is actually possible to get a 2 day ban on a proxy which I'm pretty sure is manually issued on a bot by bot basis, which means an account (or several) get on their radar, which can implicate your other accounts. I've lost several bot farms to chain bans in the past on just about every client, not just Osbot. As long as you go in starting small, expecting to get banned and have backup plans, you'll be fine either way.

Edited by caketeaparty

• 2 weeks later...

It's really a bit of an economics question.

Bans occur faster on commercial proxies, but they are a good deal cheaper. As such, use these for accounts that you don't mind getting banned daily. E.g a f2p account where there's no bond at stake and it takes 5 mins to make another.

Use residential proxies for accounts that you need to keep around a while, like an account with high requirements or a bond. Residential proxies tend to have lower ban rates but it will cost you more. You should try to reset the residential proxy once it's been banned (either by turning the modem on/off or requesting a new IP).

Keep in mind that in both instances you are very likely to get banned (and you should assume you will and consider a no-ban as a lucky break), but you can optimise the rewards of botting before this occurs.