VPS or Personal Dedicated?

botscape1738

Hey OSB. Currently doing my research on starting a small farm (typical). I was curious if it's more worth my while to purchase a vps or just run the bots (4-5 at time) on personal second computer. Currently running 8gb DDR3 ram and AMD FX-4300 4core CPU with a HDD. Nothing fancy but I would assume it's fulling capable of running 5 bots?

50 minutes ago, Project said:

Could make your own little rig up super cheap, that's what I did. That way no one can steal any of your information 

55 minutes ago, Folks said:

I run 1 bot per gig of ram on a vps with a shitty CPU, just use lowcpu and lowresouce or nointerface.

Sounds like I'll use my own comp then! I appreciate the response!

Dedi's should be used for large farms but since you only intend to run 5, your PC should handle it.  If you want to test it if your PC truly can, open up task manager and see how much CPU 1 client uses, while the script is running, and multiply by 5.  I tend to stay below 80% usage because things get wonky.  Good luck!

7 minutes ago, LimitedTime66 said:

Dedi's should be used for large farms but since you only intend to run 5, your PC should handle it.  If you want to test it if your PC truly can, open up task manager and see how much CPU 1 client uses, while the script is running, and multiply by 5.  I tend to stay below 80% usage because things get wonky.  Good luck!

how much $ per month should you be paying for a dedi that can run 30 bots?

34 minutes ago, Antonio Kala said:

how much $ per month should you be paying for a dedi that can run 30 bots?

At the very least $50, provided you find a good deal.  Expect 70ish to be the norm for something with that much power.  My only concern with servers from online dealers is that, more than often, they use shitty GPUs that can cause constant client crashes when the CPU hasn't even hit it's potential.  They provide CPU power but these servers aren't made to handle osrs clients, even though yes the graphics are shit, by the boat load so don't expect to be able to run expensive servers to their full potential unless you build one yourself with the necessary components.

44 minutes ago, LimitedTime66 said:

At the very least $50, provided you find a good deal.  Expect 70ish to be the norm for something with that much power.  My only concern with servers from online dealers is that, more than often, they use shitty GPUs that can cause constant client crashes when the CPU hasn't even hit it's potential.  They provide CPU power but these servers aren't made to handle osrs clients, even though yes the graphics are shit, by the boat load so don't expect to be able to run expensive servers to their full potential unless you build one yourself with the necessary components.

That's good (really bad) to hear. I was looking at getting myself a dedi at about ~$50 USD to run about 20 odd clients, but if the lack of GPU bottlenecks it, fuck.

Cheers for the insight, will have to look again.

57 minutes ago, LimitedTime66 said:

10 minutes ago, THS said:

That's good (really bad) to hear. I was looking at getting myself a dedi at about ~$50 USD to run about 20 odd clients, but if the lack of GPU bottlenecks it, fuck.

Cheers for the insight, will have to look again.

You do realize osrs does not use the GPU.

Only RAM and CPU matters when botting osrs.

Edited by Antonio Kala

8 hours ago, Antonio Kala said:

Can you explain to me why they deduced that their dedicated servers needed a GPU to run osrs?

I couldn't.  All I know is what my friends who have been formally educated in this area have advised me.  There's a reason why when you can rent an Xeon E5 which has the power to run 50+ clients but crashes when you start to get it over 20 clients.

Just now, LimitedTime66 said:

I couldn't.  All I know is what my friends who have been formally educated in this area have advised me.  There's a reason why when you can rent an Xeon E5 which has the power to run 50+ clients but crashes when you start to get it over 20 clients.

Please kindly explain to your friends that osrs does not use a GPU.