My Mining Rig Build Project

Jordan

18 hours ago, upotudrop said:

I actually have the corsair carbide air. I really like the case, lots of room to build in. Looks great, but does take up a lot of space. I still like it though. 

The core P3 and P5 looks sweet as well if done correctly. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015U7LXO4?aaxitk=hyfX7xR-8GbduAUd.ovRow&th=1

5 hours ago, Jordan said:

I actually have the corsair carbide air. I really like the case, lots of room to build in. Looks great, but does take up a lot of space. I still like it though. 

The core P3 and P5 looks sweet as well if done correctly. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015U7LXO4?aaxitk=hyfX7xR-8GbduAUd.ovRow&th=1

Thanks alot man :)

• Like 1

On 7/8/2017 at 1:10 AM, Jordan said:

July 7th 2017 Update 2:

Installed my 980ti and an extra case fan. Hopefully I can bare the heat.

I'm very happy with $5-6/day just using Nicehash with no modifications to any settings at all. It's very nice to have the 980ti to help make some of my money back.

gGUSS0n.png

A0LGeTr.jpg

Isn't $5 a day fairly low?

1 hour ago, HeyImJamie said:

Isn't $5 a day fairly low?

I mean, I guess. I'm just using NiceHash on default settings while still using this computer for my daily activities. Once the rig is built I will be optimizing GPU performance, overclock and power useage to get the absolute most out of each graphics card. It's not worth doing all of that on my personal machine if I'm just going to scratch all that work soon. 

$5/day = $150/mo = $1825/yr. Not bad for a $470 purchase. I doubt the card depreciates $5/day :p

17 minutes ago, unmarketing said:

Why not just rent a server online? They are so much cheaper and the power and money you make with them is so much greater.

Rent a server with a GPU?

35 minutes ago, Jordan said:

I mean, I guess. I'm just using NiceHash on default settings while still using this computer for my daily activities. Once the rig is built I will be optimizing GPU performance, overclock and power useage to get the absolute most out of each graphics card. It's not worth doing all of that on my personal machine if I'm just going to scratch all that work soon. 

$5/day = $150/mo = $1825/yr. Not bad for a $470 purchase. I doubt the card depreciates $5/day :p

Yes they have specific providers that rent out high powdered machines specifically for bitcoin mining.

https://www.genesis-mining.com/datacenters

Edited by unmarketing

1 hour ago, Jordan said:

True! I'm not familiar at all with farming :P 'Free' money is free money tbh! I should've looked into farming while I was in student halls tbh. Electricity is capped next year :feels: 

1 hour ago, unmarketing said:

Yes they have specific providers that rent out high powdered machines specifically for bitcoin mining.

https://www.genesis-mining.com/datacenters

Oh, cloud mining contracts. It's downside is it's more risky, you can't sell your contract for the same price you bought it if mining fails.

$869 for 30 MH /s on ethereum for 2 years with cloud mining.

I could buy a rig that could do 30 MH/s for $869, use it until mining dies, and then sell the hardware.

On 7/8/2017 at 9:38 PM, unmarketing said:

Why not just rent a server online? They are so much cheaper and the power and money you make with them is so much greater.

You're buying a long term contract that has no long term benefits. 

1pezXH.png

Heres a chart indicting the difficulty adjustment of Bitcoin. I believe @Jordan is doing ETH but this is generally the trend among all Cryptos. Difficulty rates with bitcoin are adjusted so that a block is only generated every 600 Seconds since thre is a limited amount of mining that can possibly be done.

That being said, the contract might look good at the time, but you're going to need more than what they're offering to cover your investment.

Think of it like this. Would you buy a contract with a goldfarmer that said "hey, if you give me 5,000 USD, I'll farm you 200k SDMM every day for the season" These numbers are rough since ive never been interested in SDMM but the idea is the same. The gold starts high at the end of the season and gets near worthless later.

• Like 1

Update July 18th, 2017

Didn't get to run the mine as much as I'd like due to heat issues. I plan on custom making heat management system by using spot cooler window vents attached to a custom case. Hoping for something like the picture below. Only issue is it delays my progress for about a month because I don't move into my new place until the 15th.

7Cl8pGP.png

Regardless of my low mining time, here was my payout, around $27:

6APKjMG.png

Does doing this cause any damage to your hardware over time?

I looked into doing this sort of thing with some spare capital, but as with all things relating to cryptos, I was nervous and missed the proverbial boat.

I've got a machine at the moment with a 1050 Ti that I don't use for anything except LoL, wondering how easy it is to set something up just as a tester as the machines running nearly every day anyway.

Would appreciate some advice! Love what your doing.