My Mining Rig Build Project

Jordan

On 7/19/2017 at 6:07 PM, THS said:

Does doing this cause any damage to your hardware over time?

I looked into doing this sort of thing with some spare capital, but as with all things relating to cryptos, I was nervous and missed the proverbial boat.

I've got a machine at the moment with a 1050 Ti that I don't use for anything except LoL, wondering how easy it is to set something up just as a tester as the machines running nearly every day anyway.

Would appreciate some advice! Love what your doing.

I mean it has the potential to cause damage to your hardware. I've heard horror stories with power issues frying an entire rig, but most of the time it's due to careless setup and power management.

If you want to mine on your PC, it wont cause harm, just google and install nicehash, run the program and enjoy :)

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't mined a single thing since my last update. Bought the computer components today.

Going to figure out how I want to build the rig and the case. I was thinking of using a large subwoofer enclosure. A subwoofer enclosure is designed to keep the noise down which is important as I plan to have this rig in my personal room. Just ideas going through my head.

Parts ordered today:

• ASUS Strix B250 Gaming LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Intel Celeron G3900 CPU
  • Sandisk 120GB SSD
  • 6 PCI-E Riser Adapter Cards
  • EVGA 1200W Power Supply 80+ GOLD Fully Modular
  • 4GB Corsair DDR4 2133 

Grand total was $547.77. Very excited to get the parts.

Third post in a row, not sure if people are interested but I'm going to keep this updated just for my own record keeping. Received all of my parts today.

Also got 5 EVGA Geforce 1070 FTW's for $460 each. Was pretty happy with thte price and they're brand new. Adds $2300 to the price.

Here is a picture of all the parts together. Now just waiting on a 4U server case (designed to hold graphics cards) I bought for $135 shipped. 

dyOYg2k.jpg

0pb66v6.jpg

3 hours ago, Jordan said:

Third post in a row, not sure if people are interested but I'm going to keep this updated just for my own record keeping. Received all of my parts today.

Also got 5 EVGA Geforce 1070 FTW's for $460 each. Was pretty happy with thte price and they're brand new. Adds $2300 to the price.

Here is a picture of all the parts together. Now just waiting on a 4U server case (designed to hold graphics cards) I bought for $135 shipped. 

dyOYg2k.jpg

0pb66v6.jpg

where did you get the GPU's from? thats cheap lol

gl w/ project

Well today I did the build. Pretty easy build, took pictures along the way. 

T33mvHh.jpg

Here's the rig emptied out with just mother board installed.

J2ouQGc.jpg

Installed Windows 10 on the SSD and then removed it to give me room for installing the graphics cards. 

I4JVQXG.jpg

First graphics card in. Ran the PCI extender and power wires under the metal bar and installed the graphics cards. This particular case was made for graphics cards and it was very easy to install them. This got harder each graphics card, but ended up fine.

TiongFe.jpg

Here's all 5 EVGA cards in. No cable management or power wires yet, but cool to see the 5 identical cards lined up before the out of place one is added.

7ZCIbyS.jpg

Got all 6 in and did some tests.

qWa2PA3.jpg

wzlP6u2.jpg

Mounted the SSD. Will be right next to the 6th graphics card.

wQJ9NHD.jpg

Everything in and all cables ran. Had to run the power cables underneat the bar and over the graphics cards to keep some level of cable management . Not trying to win any awards here and haven't actually cable managed, but it still came out quite organized.

7vVeij9.jpg

dccNDxB.jpg

Zi7JPze.jpg

Had to re-install this fan mount in the middle. I don't have any fans that fit this piece yet (and with the wires I can't mount any fans yet either). But I want to get 5 fans installed on this piece and two on the back of the case as well. 

fLM4wGQ.jpg

The case has no slots for front case fans so I used some leftover fans and zip tied them to the support bar for the graphics cards. Came out really sturdy, very happy with the result. 

7i2KEts.jpg

A little more cable management and it's looking much better. Still need to switch a few cables in order to run proper power to each cards. But this is close enough. Going to configure a single card and windows tonight and will finish up the cabling tomorrow. 

oJZZCsz.jpg

CBvsIvb.jpg

Here are some pictures of it lit up at night. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got some parts today for the custom cooling!

Dryer vent window insert:

HqlQ6IC.jpg

Hooked it up to the back of the computer and put a fan inside the case to blow the air into the tubing.

Db96wSR.jpg

Got it installed, added a booster fan to the tubing to help push the air out. 

KvHWD4Y.jpg

cGIbQJJ.jpg

It's finished. Only problem is the motherboard has a dead PCIE slot and I can only run 5 of the 6 graphics cards. I'm waiting on the new motherboard to come in.

I used insulation tape to cover all holes/creases so that all of the air is pushed through the exhaust. There is a lot of pressure coming out of the exhaust and it's just spewing hot air out the back. It works! Little heat in my room due to the server. I will test overnight and see how hot it gets. Noise is low. Very happy with the result. I'm only pushing $10/day with no overclock but I have been able to push it to $12/day with an overclock. Will see how reliable/consistant I can make that. Let the attempt at an ROI begin. 

7 minutes ago, Antonio Kala said:

So how much did you spend in total and how much will you make per day at max capacity?

What's your daily electricity cost?

Figure $2/day per graphics card. Maybe I can push it up to 2.2-2.4 if I'm lucky. I have 5 cards for now, 6 hopefully eventually. 

Electricity is going to depend on how low I can get my power usage but no more than 650W from the wall @ .1027/kwh calculates to about $48/month and $56/mo with 6 cards.

All conservative numbers at this point. Estimating $250/mo in profit conservatively with 5/6 cards.

21 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Figure $2/day per graphics card. Maybe I can push it up to 2.2-2.4 if I'm lucky. I have 5 cards for now, 6 hopefully eventually. 

Electricity is going to depend on how low I can get my power usage but no more than 650W from the wall @ .1027/kwh calculates to about $48/month and $56/mo with 6 cards.

All conservative numbers at this point. Estimating $250/mo in profit conservatively with 5/6 cards.

So $250/month profit, then deduct $50 in electricity, ends up being $200 month, so after maybe 1 and a half years you'll profit.

Did you plan ahead or just doing it as a hobby/side thing