Fix the Dispute System!

Seraphic

1. A description of the suggestion

Dispute System Fix

There is currently an issue with the dispute system. This means that all users who scam other individuals will be placed in TWC and they are given a time limit to repay their victims. This dispute system is an issue because it allows users who have already scammed to continue scamming more people. An example of this is @Madallday. There were two reports against him and he was placed in TWC and given X time to refund his victims. The issue with that is that he can still trade with other users and continue scamming. My suggestion is to add a Do Not Trade rank similar to Sythe or just permanantly ban/limit them. You could add limitations to the TWC which prevents them from PMing/Accessing the marketplace whilst they are TWCed.

2. How will this suggestion impact scripters and/or botters?

This would prevent scripters/botters/forum users from being scammed. As we can see @Madallday was warned around 12 hours ago and yet the last time he has been on was 2 hours ago. When people go to the marketplace they are not likely to look at the report. This means that people with high feedback can go ahead and continue to scam despite the TWC. Users who have a high feedback with a TWC will not be affected as people will continue to trade with them based on the feedback. Overall these individuals will not be able to continue scamming individuals as if they are unable to PM users/access the marketplace then how will they continue their trades. Alternatively it could possibly stop scammers from botting if they are limited from using the bot whilst TWCed meaning they would be more likely to pay back victims that they have scammed (if they are just doing it to scamquit).

3. Post any examples such as code or pictures to supplement your description (optional)

N/A

• Like 1

You can't just ban people though. Some scam reports are just a misunderstanding while others are complete bs. I do understand the concern but just banning anyone who has a scam report is a bit much. 

I've seen one nother site where they put limitations on a rank (like TWC) where you can't access the marketplace or send/receive PM's. like you said, this would be a good start though they can post elsewhere. I'd just make it so that they can only post in areas like the scam report or spam section - only if it's a valid scam report. 

Lastly, you can't protect stupid. There are just stupid people wherever. They do what they want because they're stupid and it's like a disease. People can have 50 negative feedback, a TWC PiP and be registered today and will still scam just because there are stupid people. I can't blame the ones who fall to big names because there's almost nothing you can do to prevent a scam quit, but there are obvious signs for imposters and random people who are trying to scam. You just can't help these sorts of people and you're going to go nowhere trying to. I know it's unfortunate but you can't help people who don't care. 

• Like 3

There's a reason why it's called 'trade with caution'. It means you shouldn't blindly trade them, and that you should check if there's disputes against them, or what's going on / why they have the rank. If someone gets scammed because they were too careless to look at the name of the person they were trading with, then it's probably their own fault.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Imateamcape said:

There's a reason why it's called 'trade with caution'. It means you shouldn't blindly trade them, and that you should check if there's disputes against them, or what's going on / why they have the rank. If someone gets scammed because they were too careless to look at the name of the person they were trading with, then it's probably their own fault.

You can't help stupid people. You can try all you want but they'll keep proving your effort worthless time and time again. I've tried so many times on a few different forums and it's just not worth it. People will literally trade a nobody for $100+ then cry about being scammed when they could've used a mm or checked the skype name and a lot of other easy stuff...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joey Byte said:

Dispute System Fix

There is currently an issue with the dispute system. This means that all users who scam other individuals will be placed in TWC and they are given a time limit to repay their victims. This dispute system is an issue because it allows users who have already scammed to continue scamming more people. An example of this is @Madallday. There were two reports against him and he was placed in TWC and given X time to refund his victims. The issue with that is that he can still trade with other users and continue scamming. My suggestion is to add a Do Not Trade rank similar to Sythe or just permanantly ban/limit them. You could add limitations to the TWC which prevents them from PMing/Accessing the marketplace whilst they are TWCed.

This would prevent scripters/botters/forum users from being scammed. As we can see @Madallday was warned around 12 hours ago and yet the last time he has been on was 2 hours ago. When people go to the marketplace they are not likely to look at the report. This means that people with high feedback can go ahead and continue to scam despite the TWC. Users who have a high feedback with a TWC will not be affected as people will continue to trade with them based on the feedback. Overall these individuals will not be able to continue scamming individuals as if they are unable to PM users/access the marketplace then how will they continue their trades. Alternatively it could possibly stop scammers from botting if they are limited from using the bot whilst TWCed meaning they would be more likely to pay back victims that they have scammed (if they are just doing it to scamquit).

3. Post any examples such as code or pictures to supplement your description (optional)

N/A

That isn't so much of an issue. TWC sends the same message as DNT on scythe. TWC already has the restrictions you mentioned in place, where they're only allowed to the gold buying section in order to get around to a refund should they need rsgp for it. That being said, we can always look at expanding the restrictions, but we'd soon have to look at creating separate ranks for people under dispute and people that have refunded after scamming (because these people tend to come back with TWC)  
With that being said, implementing the DNT rank wouldn't have mattered. Because, at the time of the fist dispute, the trade that resulted in the second was probably already taking place, and it it wasn't then the 2nd user probably should've taken a closer look at the person he was trading. (Which sadly, barely ever happens. People tend to just trade with people on the Skype that is 'probably' the guy they spoke to in chatbox/on forums.) Which is in no way judgemental towards the person getting scammed, but there's only so much we can do to prevent them.

Besides, banning people straight away is going to cause hysteria when the dispute turn out to be in the disputee's favor, it will limit communication resulting in longer waiting times for people that are legitimately willing to refund (because they have no way of communicating with us, and sometimes not with the victim either)

I would honestly just like to emphasize that caution part in "Trade with Caution". If people took the time to read up on the person they're trading, the number of disputes would literally be cut in half. Which again, is not victim-blaming, but just something I've noticed. 

I'm obviously open to discussion because my entire end-goal of this forum is to help people and that includes preventing people from getting scammed. But, there's only so much we can do ;)

• Like 2

I think a two rank system would be good. 

Someone currently in a dispute should have DO NOT TRADE and should limit most of the forums except the dispute section. this will prevent them from trading while in a dispute 

TRADE WITH CAUTION should be used for people who previously scammed and refunded @Orange. :boge: or are suspicious. This person will still be allowed to trade and use the forums but the other person will know it COULD be risky. 

Let it me know what you guys think 

Edited by Juggles
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Juggles said:

Someone currently in a dispute should have DO NOT TRADE and should limit most of the forums except the dispute section. this will prevent them from trading while in a dispute 

TRADE WITH CAUTION should be used for people who previously scammed and refunded @Orange. :boge: or are suspicious. This person will still be allowed to trade and use the forums but the other person will know it COULD be risky. 

Totally agree with you, they should  be restricted to only the dispute section untill the full investigation is done and a decision can be made.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joey Byte said:

Dispute System Fix

N/A

Can confirm, we have restrictions :doge: 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Juggles said:

This was what I was trying to bring up. A DNT rank would be better because it would enforce the DO NOT TRADE Aspect. As for @Solution, the CAUTION bit of Trade with Caution means to be weary of the user your trading. It doesn't mean DON'T trade this user. Because of this, TWC and DNT are completely different. DNT is more likely to symbolise that the user has scammed and NOT to trade them at all because they have committed illegitimate acts however a TWC rank suggests that the user had paid back their debts and they can continue to trade. TWC doesn't mean DON'T trade them it just means be careful whilst trading them.

1 hour ago, Joey Byte said:

This was what I was trying to bring up. A DNT rank would be better because it would enforce the DO NOT TRADE Aspect. As for @Solution, the CAUTION bit of Trade with Caution means to be weary of the user your trading. It doesn't mean DON'T trade this user. Because of this, TWC and DNT are completely different. DNT is more likely to symbolise that the user has scammed and NOT to trade them at all because they have committed illegitimate acts however a TWC rank suggests that the user had paid back their debts and they can continue to trade. TWC doesn't mean DON'T trade them it just means be careful whilst trading them.

And I completely understand, but the people getting scammed by a person that is currently in a dispute and holding the TWC rank would've gotten scammed by the DNT rank simply because they fail to look up the person they're trading - if they had surely the ongoing dispute in combination with the TWC would've told them to back out of the trade. Again - I'm not against the idea, I'm just saying that it won't reduce the scams by people in a dispute which would mean a total throwaway of time spent into creating that rank, pip and any possible work a rank like this would bring

1 hour ago, Rohm said:

Trade with caution would be nice.

Did you read the post?