Show banned users + reasons for ban

Zappster

My suggestion is to show all the banned users + the reason that warranted that ban (may it be perm or temp)

If there's no plugin availble, maybe you could do a monthly topic showing who was banned and for what reason (link to dispute if required)

This is just for book keeping reasons. I've bought and sold a few things  to now banned users, some of which I can't get a reason to why they were banned (and at risk of accounts/payments getting recovered). I'd kinda like my paranoia to be put to rest by knowing what they was banned for.

Also maybe it'll be a  good way for the community to see what people are getting banned for the most, and show us how we can, as one, make this place better for all of us.

And now for a more controversial suggestion:

Included in the above suggestion, any convicted scammer's original registered Email address is posted publicly.

If there's no worry about irl repercussions, people will scam. People will still scam by creating fake emails sure, but it'll maybe make people think twice before doing it. Especially if you keep logged the original email they used to sign up with (easy to do guys cmon just another db field and a modification to the sign up page)

I know these are very tricky suggestions to agree on so I'm open to criticism + suggestions.

If we do it (the most active osrs site) maybe the other sites will follow suit aswell.

Yes, I definitely agree.

Personally I think that they should create a new usergroup for banned accounts, rather than using the ban option for accounts. I dislike that I can't view users profiles and see their feedback. The banned usergroup should be restricted from being able to post on the forums - not including an appeals section. This would also be (in my opinion) much neater for ban appeals. Rather than creating a new account to submit an appeal. Anyone could just go ahead and submit a ban appeal for a users account that isn't theirs as it stands.

It's been awhile since I've used IPBs acp, but if I remember correctly you can revoke privacy permissions on usergroups. If a new group was created, displaying an email publicly would be easy.

On another note (These are just my morals)

I think that users who do scam and are proven for it, should not be respected by the community or defended by staff members. To be more straight forward with what I want to get at here: I think that if somebody scam quits, we should be allowed to dox and harass that person without any consequences. I understand that this can't be encouraged. But I feel as if there should be no punishments for doing things like this.

• Like 3

Yes, I definitely agree.

Personally I think that they should create a new usergroup for banned accounts, rather than using the ban option for accounts. I dislike that I can't view users profiles and see their feedback. The banned usergroup should be restricted from being able to post on the forums - not including an appeals section. This would also be (in my opinion) much neater for ban appeals. Rather than creating a new account to submit an appeal. Anyone could just go ahead and submit a ban appeal for a users account that isn't theirs as it stands.

It's been awhile since I've used IPBs acp, but if I remember correctly you can revoke privacy permissions on usergroups. If a new group was created, displaying an email publicly would be easy.

I think that users who do scam and are proven for it, should not be respected by the community or defended by staff members. To be more straight forward with what I want to get at here: I think that if somebody scam quits, we should be allowed to dox and harass that person without any consequences. I understand that this can't be encouraged. But I feel as if there should be no punishments for doing things like this.

Support except for "we should be allowed to dox and harass that person without any consequences."

Yes, I definitely agree.

You'd be no better than the scammer if you doxed/harassed him though. 

• Like 2

Yes, I definitely agree.

Would be funny to have osbot light up someones social media after they've scam quit.

Support except for "we should be allowed to dox and harass that person without any consequences."

Why not? I said if they've been proven to scam.

I'd say it's more like an actual punishment for their crime :)

In real life if you get caught stealing, you're punished. On here, you're banned. You can just create a new account and re-scam.

If someone fucks with your real life, you'll be weary of scamming - no?

I also said it shouldn't be encouraged; just not punished.

Awfully incorrect. It'd be like an actual punishment from my eyes.

Would be funny to have osbot light up someones social media after they've scam quit.

Yessir. Would be great to collaborate as a group lul

• Like 2

Why not? I said if they've been proven to scam.

I'd say it's more like an actual punishment for their crime smile.png

In real life if you get caught stealing, you're punished. On here, you're banned. You can just create a new account and re-scam.

If someone fucks with your real life, you'll be weary of scamming - no?

I also said it shouldn't be encouraged; just not punished.

Awfully incorrect. It'd be like an actual punishment from my eyes.

Yessir. Would be great to collaborate as a group lul

Not saying i disagree with you. I actually agree. However, me agreeing doesn't mean its acceptable by any means. What i was saying though is thats just the way it is. If you dox/harass a proven scammer, you'll be treated just as badly as they are. 

To add on to the benefits of using a usergroup for bans, you can leave feedback after they're banned in case they've scammed you as well after being banned. 

I understand that currently you dispute them, but surely that's more work for mods handling an appeal than if there was feedback left.

A dox is a punishment.

If you ban me for punishing the person that scammed me, then you're are no better than the scammer. You're his accomplice in my eyes.

I know that's a pretty far stretch. And the rules right now on OSBot tell me it's bad to do that. But there's litterly no punishment for scammers right now

Edited by Zappster
  • Like 1

To add on to the benefits of using a usergroup for bans, you can leave feedback after they're banned in case they've scammed you as well after being banned. 

I understand that currently you dispute them, but surely that's more work for mods handling an appeal than if there was feedback left.

That would open up the door for possible framing. Your usergroup idea though is a good one and i like that. 

A dox is a punishment.

If you ban me for punishing the person that scammed me, then you're are no better than the scammer. You're his accomplice in my eyes

Going by the "Moral standards" of society these days, it isn't acceptable. Like i said though, i do agree with what jackshow said. But there is no way that it will happen.