Premium Scripts?

Joliter

I think that osbot should be more strict with who they let be a SDN scripter and enforce more harsher rules or maybe have a perk system if you are an active scripter. I think that we are seeing a trend. Czar, Khal, previously Divinity, and these account for about 1/4 of the scripts on the sdn. Just saying.

7 hours ago, HeyImJamie said:

OSBot really should move to a monthly payment / auth system. 1, it'll bring more money for the company and 2, it might motivate scripters to continue to put in the work. Why you guys expect everything to be 100% perfect all the time when all you've paid is a couple of bucks is beyond me.

sounds more like greed from a scripter? if youre offering a product that's paid for you should do your half and keep them updated like you say you will otherwise make free scripts and let them die if that's how youre gonna look at it. we purchase scripts then purchase vip to run multiple accounts. if i sit here sinking 10-20 bucks into a script for it to break in one week and not be fixed(or even one day or purchase a broken script due to it not being removed yet) then youre seriously gonna blame the buyer for the scripter not doing his job? and yea a couple bucks per copy and sell over 100 copies then youre getting more than enough money to update your script. 

Don't wanna keep your shit up to date then don't expect payment for it. 

2 hours ago, tyoui said:

I think that osbot should be more strict with who they let be a SDN scripter and enforce more harsher rules or maybe have a perk system if you are an active scripter. I think that we are seeing a trend. Czar, Khal, previously Divinity, and these account for about 1/4 of the scripts on the sdn. Just saying.

agreed, if they want to be a premium scripter and make people pay them for their work then they need to give the people what they paid for not a temp script that someone would post in unofficial and let die lmfao. 

21 hours ago, dailysmoker said:

You got a point there. But its not fair to let customers pay for certain scripts, promising updates and end up not doing anything.

Greetings,

Dailysmoker :)

explained it perfectly

Looking at the screenshot you posted:

• Perhaps Czar forgot to update the version number that gets rendered in the paint. If that's the case, then it's hardly a problem.
  • Thread was updated on the 1th of January whereas you ran it on the 4th; that's only 3 days. Assuming things get backed-up on OSBot's side (for script updates), that's not too much of a wait.
Edited by liverare

2 hours ago, boozer said:

sounds more like greed from a scripter? if youre offering a product that's paid for you should do your half and keep them updated like you say you will otherwise make free scripts and let them die if that's how youre gonna look at it. we purchase scripts then purchase vip to run multiple accounts. if i sit here sinking 10-20 bucks into a script for it to break in one week and not be fixed(or even one day or purchase a broken script due to it not being removed yet) then youre seriously gonna blame the buyer for the scripter not doing his job? and yea a couple bucks per copy and sell over 100 copies then youre getting more than enough money to update your script. 

Don't wanna keep your shit up to date then don't expect payment for it. 

Isn't that how the world works? Scripters receive nothing for you purchasing VIP so that's irrelevant and at no point did I say we should blame the buyer. People just never seem to understand that code does break and it does, occasionally, require some maintenance and as writing scripts here doesn't pay nearly enough to keep someone full time, you also should at least expect scripters to be busy with real life commitments as this is just a hobby. I don't think I'd even consider $300 (when osbot takes I believe at least 30%)  being worth the time and effort to constantly update for people that aren't that appreciative. It probably works out less than minimum wage. $300 a month however and you have a part time job, so you'd consider making more of an effort, no?

10 hours ago, HeyImJamie said:

OSBot really should move to a monthly payment / auth system. 1, it'll bring more money for the company and 2, it might motivate scripters to continue to put in the work. Why you guys expect everything to be 100% perfect all the time when all you've paid is a couple of bucks is beyond me.

We already have monthly payments. If you only support those, you can't ask $8 a month for a Pest Control script. What happens is the user buys it for 1 month at a price of $2, gets the Void and there goes the money for OSBot and the scripter. 

1 hour ago, HeyImJamie said:

Isn't that how the world works? Scripters receive nothing for you purchasing VIP so that's irrelevant and at no point did I say we should blame the buyer. People just never seem to understand that code does break and it does, occasionally, require some maintenance and as writing scripts here doesn't pay nearly enough to keep someone full time, you also should at least expect scripters to be busy with real life commitments as this is just a hobby. I don't think I'd even consider $300 (when osbot takes I believe at least 30%)  being worth the time and effort to constantly update for people that aren't that appreciative. It probably works out less than minimum wage. $300 a month however and you have a part time job, so you'd consider making more of an effort, no?

If you can't take the responsibility of maintaining a script, you shouldn't release one. Earning less than you expected isn't a valid reason to update/fix your script less frequently.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Undefeated said:

We already have monthly payments. If you only support those, you can't ask $8 a month for a Pest Control script. What happens is the user buys it for 1 month at a price of $2, gets the Void and there goes the money for OSBot and the scripter. 

If you can't take the responsibility of maintaining a script, you shouldn't release one. Earning less than you expected isn't a valid reason to update/fix your script less frequently.

People are expected to maintain their script for an absurd amount of time for little to nothing is what I'm saying. If you can't understand this, you've not been in the real world yet.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HeyImJamie said:

People are expected to maintain their script for an absurd amount of time for little to nothing is what I'm saying. If you can't understand this, you've not been in the real world yet.

Absurd amount of time? If you can script properly, your script shouldn't break every update and small fixes won't take hours to fix.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Undefeated said:

Absurd amount of time? If you can script properly, your script shouldn't break every update and small fixes won't take hours to fix.

:???: I don't know why I'm arguing. You enjoy continuing to script for slave rates because working for less than minimum wage is fun for you, while others with a brain actually think about the business aspect.

@The Undefeated @HeyImJamie

You both are correct.

If you write a script properly, it shouldn't really need much maintenance apart from slight content changes. If you want to expand it - that's a different case.

Now it depends greatly if you're developing it as a hobby or as a way to make money.

In my opinion, script prices are rather low, so unless you want to make some nice $ probably impossible to do with 1-2 scripts.

Probably no one here is trying to make a living from developing scripts (check software developer salaries). It's probably a hobby to some extent.

Regarding customers - naturally they have the right to be pissed if the script they paid for for an agreed price doesn't work. Especially due to some minor bugs/changes like one extra option in tutorial island dialogue. Takes a maximum of 30 minutes to check, code, test and push.

If you got bored developing a certain script (it's a hobby) and it eventually requires a ton of maintenance (due to content changes and not cause it didn't work to begin with) I do understand the scrripter not giving a f for a few bucks.

Pretty hard to balance out being ethical and "being a slave"

Edited by nosepicker
  • Like 2