Premium Scripts?

Joliter

13 minutes ago, nosepicker said:

@The Undefeated @HeyImJamie

You both are correct.

If you write a script properly, it shouldn't really need much maintenance apart from slight content changes. If you want to expand it - that's a different case.

Now it depends greatly if you're developing it as a hobby or as a way to make money.

In my opinion, script prices are rather low, so unless you want to make some nice $ probably impossible to do with 1-2 scripts.

Probably no one here is trying to make a living from developing scripts (check software developer salaries). It's probably a hobby to some extent.

Regarding customers - naturally they have the right to be pissed if the script they paid for for an agreed price doesn't work. Especially due to some minor bugs/changes like one extra option in tutorial island dialogue. Takes a maximum of 30 minutes to check, code, test and push.

If you got bored developing a certain script (it's a hobby) and it eventually requires a ton of maintenance (due to content changes and not cause it didn't work to begin with) I do understand the scrripter not giving a f for a few bucks.

Pretty hard to balance out being ethical and "being a slave"

I see developing scripts for the SDN more as an expansion for my private scripts. If my SDN scripts perform well, people tend to go to the same person for a private script. I enjoy scripting, but it's really to make money for me. If I can't earn enough, I move on. Also, I'm earning way more than people from my age working at a store or whatever so I don't know why he's mentioning slave / under minimum wage rates.

Edited by The Undefeated

2 minutes ago, The Undefeated said:

I see developing scripts for the SDN more as an expansion for my private scripts. If my SDN scripts perform well, people tend to go to the same person for a private script. I enjoy scripting, but it's really to make money for me. If I can't earn enough, I move on. Also, I'm earning way more than people from my age working at a store or whatever so I don't know why he's mentioning slave / under minimum wage rates.

You don't. If you worked in McDonalds for the same amount of hours you've spent scripting, I can pretty much guarantee you'd have more money. I'm not saying it's bad, you just seem to be shooting yourself in the foot.

Edited by HeyImJamie

6 minutes ago, The Undefeated said:

I see developing scripts for the SDN more as an expansion for my private scripts. If my SDN scripts perform well, people tend to go to the same person for a private script. I enjoy scripting, but it's really to make money for me. If I can't earn enough, I would move on. Also, I'm earning way more than people from my age working at a store or whatever so I don't know why he's mentioning slave / under minimum wage rates.

Probably cause he's talking about SDN scripts and not private scripts.

And as you mentioned, doing scripts for SDN is a great way to "increase your value". Though honestly, even if you "stamp" your private scripts from templates, anything a lil more advanced and not costing at least a 100$ is a joke. Though, as you mentioned, until you enjoy it - no biggie.

For example people asked me to make private scripts with muling and what not for 10-20m, well sorry for being greedy then :boge:

3 hours ago, The Undefeated said:

We already have monthly payments. If you only support those, you can't ask $8 a month for a Pest Control script. What happens is the user buys it for 1 month at a price of $2, gets the Void and there goes the money for OSBot and the scripter. 

If you can't take the responsibility of maintaining a script, you shouldn't release one. Earning less than you expected isn't a valid reason to update/fix your script less frequently.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS 

Don't want to do your job as the scripter? then don't make scripts premium. 

When 200x people purchase a script for $10 compared to one person buying a private script for $100 the money is still there. Don't offer a premium service if you cant handle the time/effort needed to maintain it. 

Glad a scripter finally stepped in and said it themselves

• Like 1

17 hours ago, liverare said:

Looking at the screenshot you posted:

• Perhaps Czar forgot to update the version number that gets rendered in the paint. If that's the case, then it's hardly a problem.
  • Thread was updated on the 1th of January whereas you ran it on the 4th; that's only 3 days. Assuming things get backed-up on OSBot's side (for script updates), that's not too much of a wait.

He already replied earlier in the thread of why it didn't update.  I was more pointing out that his post on Jan 4 said new version is 209, and it's Jan 24 and it was still showing v208.