My Mining Rig Build Project

Jordan

9 minutes ago, JellyGod said:

are u actually gonna even make ur money back i 1 year?

Well I've been trading crypto's and just want a way to build my stack. I make a pretty decent return trading so I'm hoping I can double or triple what I mine.

On top of that, I'm looking at it differently. The cards themselves still have a lot of value, and aren't diminishing in value very quickly. If something happened I'm sure I could sell the parts and get them back. I look at it as profit being Revenue - Electricity - Diminished value of cards.

At $250/mo I would make my full investment back in a bit over a year I believe. But that's with 5 cards on stock settings. Configured correctly and with all 6 cards I think I could be in the mid 300s and make my money back quicker. 

I either wanted to throw $3500 into cryptocurrency as an investment/for trading OR make this mining rig and consistently invest and when mining dies/becomes not worth it I'll sell the rig and invest whatever the rig is worth.

• Like 1

Keep us updated brother, love reading these posts.

Though it may be seen as a ridiculous capital investment to alot of people, you're right in saying that the parts have resale value. And their depreciation over time aswell as possible wear and tear (depending on if you actually do want to get greedy on the tuning), are pretty much covered in longevity.

Can I ask how you've been turning a profit on 'trading' cryptos? Just playing with changes in rates and finding the right moments or?

Feel free to tell me to fuck off.

43 minutes ago, THS said:

Keep us updated brother, love reading these posts.

Though it may be seen as a ridiculous capital investment to alot of people, you're right in saying that the parts have resale value. And their depreciation over time aswell as possible wear and tear (depending on if you actually do want to get greedy on the tuning), are pretty much covered in longevity.

Can I ask how you've been turning a profit on 'trading' cryptos? Just playing with changes in rates and finding the right moments or?

Feel free to tell me to fuck off.

Yeah, I'm not any trading expert but I have a few friends helping me out. Take everything I say in this post with a grain of salt but I'll try and explain what I'm attempting to do. It seems to be working in my 1 month of testing.

I see Ripple as a good long term investment but I'm too impatient to to put money in and wait. So, I am trying to increase the number of XRP I have. I don't think it will shoot up soon though so I'm trading the rises and falls. I do my best to predict rises and falls but I trade pretty conservatively. Mostly just keep all my money in ripple and when it gets to a number I think is too high I'll sell and wait for it to dip again and then re-buy in an attempt to grow the number of ripple I have. I won't stay out for too long though and sometimes I end up losing some but overall I am increasing the number of xrp I own. I figured if I was going to trade I may as well trade a coin with a likely uptrend (in my opinion) . 

As a small update I've got all graphics cards online and tuned and I'm pushing $15-16 a day. Problem is the rig dies randomly. Sometimes after 12 hours, sometimes 2 hours, sometimes a few minutes. It really seems like an overheating issue which wouldn't surprise me considering I'm trying to do this in an enclosed rig. I added two more case fans inside the case and I've got them all on full blast so we'll see how this goes. 

Dunno if anyone has any input on how to keep it cooler. I have a booster fan on the exhaust to help push the air out, however I was wondering if I should turn it around and blow air into the rig. I live on top of a mountain so the air is really cool with low humidity. Still feels risky to me. 

7 hours ago, Jordan said:

As a small update I've got all graphics cards online and tuned and I'm pushing $15-16 a day. Problem is the rig dies randomly. Sometimes after 12 hours, sometimes 2 hours, sometimes a few minutes. It really seems like an overheating issue which wouldn't surprise me considering I'm trying to do this in an enclosed rig. I added two more case fans inside the case and I've got them all on full blast so we'll see how this goes. 

Dunno if anyone has any input on how to keep it cooler. I have a booster fan on the exhaust to help push the air out, however I was wondering if I should turn it around and blow air into the rig. I live on top of a mountain so the air is really cool with low humidity. Still feels risky to me. 

In my old old desktop, even with water cooling with exhaust fans going outwards idle would sit around 80C turning one (the one with the freshest cooler air) around so it blew it in dropped the temp from 80C to 60C but that was just me /:

• Like 1

On 30.8.2017 at 7:37 PM, Jordan said:

Are you monitoring the temps on the cards? What are they? What monitoring OC program are you using?

What are your OC settings? Are you running them above or below the factory overclock?

The exhaust tube, what dimention is it? I didn't read everything, but it looks like 120/140mm, which I'm not sure I'd call enough for 6x 1070s running at stock or above. Might wanna add one or two more exhaust tubes with fans.

Also, in an enclousure like that, the cards are gonna heat eachother up more than they would alone, just because they're so close. So make sure you have fans blowing right between all of the cards, with the middle of the fan lined up with the cards (so the middle circle isn't between the cards)

What's the case anyways, and where did you get it?

On 8/30/2017 at 6:37 PM, Jordan said:

There must be some industrial alternatives available. You think there might be an intake air flow issue might be worth to pump some fresh air into the room?

4 hours ago, Barty69 said:

Are you monitoring the temps on the cards? What are they? What monitoring OC program are you using?

What are your OC settings? Are you running them above or below the factory overclock?

The exhaust tube, what dimention is it? I didn't read everything, but it looks like 120/140mm, which I'm not sure I'd call enough for 6x 1070s running at stock or above. Might wanna add one or two more exhaust tubes with fans.

Also, in an enclousure like that, the cards are gonna heat eachother up more than they would alone, just because they're so close. So make sure you have fans blowing right between all of the cards, with the middle of the fan lined up with the cards (so the middle circle isn't between the cards)

What's the case anyways, and where did you get it?

I should have updated the thread but I have fixed the issue.

I am monitoring and controlling temps using MSI afterburner and NVIDIA inspector. I'm running factory core clock and 500MHz boost on the Memory Clock. It's a 4" exhaust tube. The case is a 4U server case from Newegg.com. Essentially I added two fans at the entrance of the tubing, and a fan on top of the graphics cards to create a flow for the air. It definitely improved the airflow, but I don't believe my main problem was overheating, after some troubleshooting I found Nicehash miner 1 has crashing issues that are fixed in Nicehash miner 2, as well as some mining algorithms exhaust my 4GB of ram. However, that being said, I'm finally running non-stop without issues or overheating. 

3 hours ago, Donald Trump said:

There must be some industrial alternatives available. You think there might be an intake air flow issue might be worth to pump some fresh air into the room?

I was thinking of having an tube that brings fresh air in to the front, and have a cycle of air being pumped in from the outside and exhausted right back out. However, I just purchased a box fan, put it in the window, and it keeps my room very cold. (Gotta love living in the mountains :))

56 minutes ago, Donald Trump said:

So Jordan was all this effort, time and money worthwhile for what you're getting now and the long term outlook on the ROI? Any additional tips you can give for people looking at your topic and thinking about getting into this?

That's a really good question. I went into this project knowing I would be staying in the crypto-space long term, and I also enjoy building computers. Instead of continually investing personal money every month, I thought I could create this rig as a 1 time investment, and have recurring investments from the rig every month. I also knew I would be living in the mountains with a much cooler environment, and that is what allows me to run the rig in my own bedroom.

I only say this because it's all about your circumstances. If I wasn't planning to invest this money it would be much less worthwhile, if I wasn't living in the mountains I couldn't run it.

I ran into small issues every step of the way (some of which I've been too lazy to fix and am making less money because of it). It's a bumpy process for sure. Trying to get 6 cards crammed into one case on one motherboard with Windows 10 isn't an easy task. For those who are willing to put the time into debugging and doing research, this isn't a problem.

Now that I finally have a consistently running server I'm making decent ROI. If all 6 of my cards were running at full capacity I should be making $420 a month. However since I have an enclosed case, I overheat if I run at full capacity, and so it's throttled significantly, plus I'm only able to run 5 cards due to a defective motherboard I haven't had the time to replace.

I'm expecting $250/mo as a minimum and once it gets colder I might turn it into open-air and be making $300-400/mo. Keep in mind I'm re-investing this money so it could be worth $500, $1000, or $0 by the time I'm done with it. If I wasn't planning to re-invest it wouldn't be as worth it to me. 

At the end of the day it depends 100% on your situations. If you live in a cold climate and want to make money and use a mining rig as a heater, you can create an open-air case and likely be able to make decent returns. If you can't handle the heat, or don't have a garage or something to put the rig in, mining probably won't work well for you. 

If I had the choice to go back and never do this or do it again, I would do it again for sure. We'll see if the profit per day goes up or down in the future. It's very possible that I would be making much less in a month from now or I could be making much more in a month from now. It is risky, and if you don't want to risk your money, you probably shouldn't. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Update: 62.72 Payout. 

Also want to add to my post above that the numbers I'm sharing don't show cost of electricity. So if that is something you have to pay for, it could be $50ish/mo in electricity. 

Hey Jordan, I once bought a ant miner v1.5 when BTC was around $200 ea but never really used it.
Its in perfect condition ( still in the delivery box )
Is it worth using it nowadays or are the electricity cost more than what it can mine?

Edited by aloevera