Becoming a Script Writer

Juggles

• 4 weeks later...

Is this pretty much every step youve gone through to get to this point? how many hours a day do   you spend on this generally?

I'm not the OP but I'd like to throw my 2 cents in.

Programming has a very high entry barrier. Which means, you need to force your mind into abstract thinking. Quite difficult at first when you don't understand how a program works. Every developer you ever meet will be self taught. They may have learnt the basics from school/college etc but aside from that, everything else needs to be self taught.

Luckily enough, programmers are keen to share the information on how to program for free. We are eager for you to join us in the market and we will help you with whatever issues you have, as long as you can provide proof that you atleast tried. Believe it or not, this is the only career that has this option. You can learn for free and go off and make irl bank. Can't really do that if you want to be a doctor!    

If you are completely new to programming, check out code academy. I recomend it to everyone who shows a slight interest in learning the basics.  You need to learn about if statments, loops, operators and variable types. Once you know those you can conquor the world, one line at a time.

Video's help, but you'll learn more by actually doing. Get Intellij downloaded and get playing around. It becomes really easy once you get over that wall.   

If you can do 2 hours a day, you'll grasp it in no time.

Edited by Zappster

Programming has a very high entry barrier. Which means, you need to force your mind into abstract thinking. Quite difficult at first when you don't understand how a program works. Every developer you ever meet will be self taught. They may have learnt the basics from school/college etc but aside from that, everything else needs to be self taught.

Luckily enough, programmers are keen to share the information on how to program for free. We are eager for you to join us in the market and we will help you with whatever issues you have, as long as you can provide proof that you atleast tried. Believe it or not, this is the only career that has this option. You can learn for free and go off and make irl bank. Can't really do that if you want to be a doctor!    

If you are completely new to programming, check out code academy. I recomend it to everyone who shows a slight interest in learning the basics.  You need to learn about if statments, loops, operators and variable types. Once you know those you can conquor the world, one line at a time.

Video's help, but you'll learn more by actually doing. Get Intellij downloaded and get playing around. It becomes really easy once you get over that wall.   

This is pretty much how I learned Java aside from a small crash course back in high school. Completely self taught with lots of help from the communities I've been a part of over the years! If you want to learn how to make things other than scripts then it helps to start with small arcade games like minesweeper and asteroids; those two in particular cover a lot of the basics and really helped me get ahead. I think scripting is just good practice for logic and structure =]

• Like 1

Couldn't have said it any better my self. 

Code Academy is very useful to get the basics down. Learning how to write bots is a lot simpler than learning how to write actual java code imo. As you stated, its important to get the basics down. Most scripts just use the basics over and over again. If you can understand if/else logic, you should be good to go. Everything else just comes with practice. 

Wow thats crazy... I want to learn but I'm to lazy lol

You can do it man. I actually really enjoyed it when I was doing it so time flew by. I would start writing a bot and then I would look at the clock and 4 hours had passed by. 

thanks for this guide, ill be as good as you one day 

Goodluck :D

• Like 2

Damn, this is impressive man. I did a java course at university so I know the basics (although forgotten most of them now), I have always been interested in making a runescape script - doing the work the uni asked me to was boring to me. 

I'll use your diary as a guideline and start today I think! Back to CodeAcademy! 

Damn, this is impressive man. I did a java course at university so I know the basics (although forgotten most of them now), I have always been interested in making a runescape script - doing the work the uni asked me to was boring to me. 

I'll use your diary as a guideline and start today I think! Back to CodeAcademy! 

Goodluck :D