OSRS related e-shop - how to stay safe from PayPal frauds?

guywithlsd

Okay, so i plan to open website related to osrs sales . And from what can i see, absolute majority gold / account / services providers do offer PayPal.

So i'm really not sure, how you guys protect yourself from "unauthorized payments" and other fraud claims? 

From what i can see, PayPal does not protect digital goods sellers.

How safer is Stripe / other Credit Card payment options compared to PayPal?

And does this information is considered as "everyone have their own tricks that they don't share" or it's something that i can find out from other people sharing their expierence - googling - searching?

I know about Crypto alternative of safe payments, but i feel like majority of clients would use PayPal / CC.

Any info towards this topic is welcome.

Edited by guywithlsd

23 minutes ago, 1anter said:

there is no way my going to send someone a selfie or my id even if they give me max cash, this is the internet.

Hes saying sellers would ask the buyer for proof of identification so that they wont claim "someone else used my credit card" shit

some only take from paypal balance as that is not a card balance

some set up business paypal, make they pay with their address shown, if they claim fraud, send letter to that mail address and provide proof that u sent that in to paypal and u will win 90% of the time

6 hours ago, austin67 said:

Think they use the G2A payment thing? probably comes with a cost - Most places request ID n some even ask for selfies with the ID lmao xD

what method request ID or selfie? Like how do i implement that into my shop? you can give any examples?

3 hours ago, Shmeekz said:

Hes saying sellers would ask the buyer for proof of identification so that they wont claim "someone else used my credit card" shit

some only take from paypal balance as that is not a card balance

some set up business paypal, make they pay with their address shown, if they claim fraud, send letter to that mail address and provide proof that u sent that in to paypal and u will win 90% of the time

Whats the different in taking money only from balance and not from card?

"send letter to that mail address and provide proof that u sent that in to paypal" so pretty much lie that you sold digital good and pretend that you sold NOT digital good that was delivered with mail?

6 hours ago, guywithlsd said:

Okay, so i plan to open website related to osrs sales . And from what can i see, absolute majority gold / account / services providers do offer PayPal.

So i'm really not sure, how you guys protect yourself from "unauthorized payments" and other fraud claims? 

From what i can see, PayPal does not protect digital goods sellers.

How safer is Stripe / other Credit Card payment options compared to PayPal?

And does this information is considered as "everyone have their own tricks that they don't share" or it's something that i can find out from other people sharing their expierence - googling - searching?

I know about Crypto alternative of safe payments, but i feel like majority of clients would use PayPal / CC.

Any info towards this topic is welcome.

If this is the part where you get stuck on already, you should wait with opening a website to begin with. Register a business, get known with the laws and you will never ever have anybody pulling a successful charge back on you. You won't find anyone's secrets and tricks to get it done for you on the internet as you have stated above, intangible goods (digital goods) are a grey area for PayPal and the law (especially on accounts/gold etc).

Get a professional to sort it out for you instead of doing stuff like this on your own.

2 hours ago, rschoutens said:

If this is the part where you get stuck on already, you should wait with opening a website to begin with. Register a business, get known with the laws and you will never ever have anybody pulling a successful charge back on you. You won't find anyone's secrets and tricks to get it done for you on the internet as you have stated above, intangible goods (digital goods) are a grey area for PayPal and the law (especially on accounts/gold etc).

Get a professional to sort it out for you instead of doing stuff like this on your own.

'you will never ever have anybody pulling a successful charge back on you'

I mean, it still will. 

Crypto would be your safest bet for not getting any charge backs what so ever, but like you said the majority do pay with PayPal.

11 hours ago, Y0m0 said:

'you will never ever have anybody pulling a successful charge back on you'

I mean, it still will. 

Crypto would be your safest bet for not getting any charge backs what so ever, but like you said the majority do pay with PayPal.

It wont, I gave some valuable advice here, you can protect yourself against any chargeback, even if its coming from someone's creditcard. If you use Paypal and you dont follow up on my advice have fun on getting your account locked forever. Which will be even quicker if you create a Paypal account for businesses.

Trading and selling on forums is a hobby for the average user on this forum. If you go down the road of creating a solid website for bigger earnings you should consider professional advice, especially in this field. Cant bypass the laws and authorities anymore.

Been there myself, learned from my mistakes.

PM me if you want to see my last 100 chargebacks. All were denied and passed in my favor. 

Good luck anyways

On 12/22/2018 at 12:30 PM, guywithlsd said:

what method request ID or selfie? Like how do i implement that into my shop? you can give any examples?

Whats the different in taking money only from balance and not from card?

"send letter to that mail address and provide proof that u sent that in to paypal" so pretty much lie that you sold digital good and pretend that you sold NOT digital good that was delivered with mail?

I mean technically you -did- deliver the goods, its just not physical good and digital goods without shipping arent covered for seller's protection.

paypal balance - i believe its harder to win disputes through this because the person cannot say that his/her credit card was falsely used when they paid with paypal balance (that usually comes from wire transfer from bank account and with bank account = paypal verified user.)

Edited by Shmeekz

On 12/23/2018 at 1:02 PM, rschoutens said:

It wont, I gave some valuable advice here, you can protect yourself against any chargeback, even if its coming from someone's creditcard. If you use Paypal and you dont follow up on my advice have fun on getting your account locked forever. Which will be even quicker if you create a Paypal account for businesses.

Trading and selling on forums is a hobby for the average user on this forum. If you go down the road of creating a solid website for bigger earnings you should consider professional advice, especially in this field. Cant bypass the laws and authorities anymore.

Been there myself, learned from my mistakes.

PM me if you want to see my last 100 chargebacks. All were denied and passed in my favor. 

Good luck anyways

can you tell the advice again? cuz i read your comments and no advice was given, the only thing you said was "get lawyer help or don't even start doing it"

18 minutes ago, guywithlsd said:

can you tell the advice again? cuz i read your comments and no advice was given, the only thing you said was "get lawyer help or don't even start doing it"

As someone who's ran a physical product business (have sold digital goods too) for the last 3 years (across multiple eCommerce platforms), I can promise you that Chargebacks do happen (even if rarely), and in most cases, you won't be able to stop/prevent/reverse it because Credit Card companies side with their customer long before they take the time to actually examine the case (personal experience). For this reason, you need to learn to budget for Damages/Losses and group Chargebacks into this category of your budget. 

And to be clear, a PayPal dispute and a Chargeback are NOT the same thing. Chargebacks happen via the Credit Card company (or bank) and more often than not, they just give their customer the money back without question, which means taking it back from you, the merchant. PayPal disputes are a little more like a court case in the respect that both parties get to present their side of the story for PayPal to ultimately decide on. Even for the best of us sellers, we cannot win every PayPal dispute even if we are in the right (most documentation isn't even looked at/acknowledged, for example). 

In the tens of thousands of transactions I've done, I can promise you that the percentage of Chargebacks, PayPal disputes, Lost Item claims, etc etc is very small in comparison to your successful transaction rate. You have to remember, the average person isn't a criminal/bad person and has little/no intentions of causing an issue. They just want the goods that you're advertising and probably have some of the same fears that you do (in terms of security/trust). 

Edited by poptartjake