C++ and Commercial game engines

Chikan

Hey everyone,

I've just recently gotten my schedule for my next semester and got placed into a course I didn't expect to get placed into. This course is for programming commercial game engines with C++, my question is, does anyone here have experience doing something similar? If so, what could I potentially learn while taking this class as opposed to a class more generalized towards C++ alone?

(I realize these are broad questions, but any input to prepare me is appriciated)

Thanks in advance for your responses!

50 minutes ago, Chikan said:

Hey everyone,

I've just recently gotten my schedule for my next semester and got placed into a course I didn't expect to get placed into. This course is for programming commercial game engines with C++, my question is, does anyone here have experience doing something similar? If so, what could I potentially learn while taking this class as opposed to a class more generalized towards C++ alone?

(I realize these are broad questions, but any input to prepare me is appriciated)

Thanks in advance for your responses!

This question is honestly too vague to be answered properly.

Do your courses not have a description of what it will cover?

I would imagine a generalized C++ course would cover the basics of programming and also some C++ specific content, whereas the game programming course would focus less on the programming basics and more on theory / code design for games..

But it's impossible for me to say because these courses vary widely between universities, the only way for you to really know is to ask whoever is running the course.

• Like 1

I'm always skeptical of courses that have the word "game" in it. That class can either go two ways:

1. You're creating a game engine using C++ and 3d math
2. You're scripting on a game engine like Unreal with C++

A C++ only class is most likely some sort of algorithms class, traversing trees and that kind of stuff. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Explv said:

This question is honestly too vague to be answered properly.

Do your courses not have a description of what it will cover?

I would imagine a generalized C++ course would cover the basics of programming and also some C++ specific content, whereas the game programming course would focus less on the programming basics and more on theory / code design for games..

But it's impossible for me to say because these courses vary widely between universities, the only way for you to really know is to ask whoever is running the course.

I was looking for a vague, slightly related answer. The courses do have a syllabus for what they'll be delving into, but I guess I could have worded my question better. I suppose I'm looking for some more insight into what it's like to take these kinds of courses from people who have. (I don't really know anyone first hand from my uni who's taken these, which is kind of why I'm asking here)

10 minutes ago, Alek said:

I'm always skeptical of courses that have the word "game" in it. That class can either go two ways:

1. You're creating a game engine using C++ and 3d math
2. You're scripting on a game engine like Unreal with C++

A C++ only class is most likely some sort of algorithms class, traversing trees and that kind of stuff. 

I'm still skeptical as well, as this wasn't my first choice. But since the school took their sweet time finalizing my registration for second semester, I got put to the back of the line in terms of choices. The actual title is "Programming with commercial game engines" -- So I'd assume I'll be expecting something in Unity or Unreal engine like you had mentioned.

Have you ever done any work with those two game engines?

2 minutes ago, Chikan said:

I was looking for a vague, slightly related answer. The courses do have a syllabus for what they'll be delving into, but I guess I could have worded my question better. I suppose I'm looking for some more insight into what it's like to take these kinds of courses from people who have. (I don't really know anyone first hand from my uni who's taken these, which is kind of why I'm asking here)

I'm still skeptical as well, as this wasn't my first choice. But since the school took their sweet time finalizing my registration for second semester, I got put to the back of the line in terms of choices. The actual title is "Programming with commercial game engines" -- So I'd assume I'll be expecting something in Unity or Unreal engine like you had mentioned.

Have you ever done any work with those two game engines?

Both. I like C++ more than C#, but I use Unity anyways. 

33 minutes ago, Chikan said:

The actual title is "Programming with commercial game engines" -- So I'd assume I'll be expecting something in Unity or Unreal engine like you had mentioned.

Yeah that sounds like you will just be using an existing game engine rather than creating your own.

If you provide us with more information on the syllabus we would be able to tell you more precisely what to expect.

Have fun taking the course anyways, even though it wasn't your first choice i'm sure it'll be useful and interesting in some regard.

1 hour ago, Explv said:

Yeah that sounds like you will just be using an existing game engine rather than creating your own.

If you provide us with more information on the syllabus we would be able to tell you more precisely what to expect.

Have fun taking the course anyways, even though it wasn't your first choice i'm sure it'll be useful and interesting in some regard.

I'll definitely learn important things either way, my other choice was for things involved in Linux, Apache, mySQL, basically just covering the bases for DB's.

Course description:

This course introduces the use of a current commercial game engine, with the focus on programming, scripting, and the underlying math concepts in use to implement the graphical and physical simulation aspects. Following INFO-1150, it will focus on fundamental object oriented programming concepts such as encapsulation, inheritance, and polymorphism.

3 hours ago, Chikan said:

I'll definitely learn important things either way, my other choice was for things involved in Linux, Apache, mySQL, basically just covering the bases for DB's.

Course description:

This course introduces the use of a current commercial game engine, with the focus on programming, scripting, and the underlying math concepts in use to implement the graphical and physical simulation aspects. Following INFO-1150, it will focus on fundamental object oriented programming concepts such as encapsulation, inheritance, and polymorphism.

That would be usage of something like Unreal or Unity :P Can be great fun, and you can still learn loads from it. Though it will be centered more around the game aspect, taking away some of the 'general' programming focus.

• Like 1