Fix this quote training issue

Britney

I guess you fail to read. If you did not happen to see it, my post said "The reason you quote other quotes is because that is the post". Meaning yes, you're going to get a million quotes. Therefore, like I said, don't quote the post at all and mention the user's name in your post (There is a way to make linking the user  actually put a notification to that user). Or don't quote them at all. Or here's another option. Since you seem to be so smart with forums, why don't YOU find a way to fix it? Because the only way it's going to be fixed is if you find a way for the quote function to not take all parts of the post and quote it for your new post.

I guess you fail to read. If you did not happen to see it, my post said "The reason you quote other quotes is because that is the post". Meaning yes, you're going to get a million quotes. Therefore, like I said, don't quote the post at all and mention the user's name in your post (There is a way to make linking the user  actually put a notification to that user). Or don't quote them at all. Or here's another option. Since you seem to be so smart with forums, why don't YOU find a way to fix it? Because the only way it's going to be fixed is if you find a way for the quote function to not take all parts of the post and quote it for your new post.

I do not fail to read, however you fail to be open-minded. Like every other forum, when you quote someone only that post that you quoted should be shown, not others. The only way to give the user a notification is to quote them, there isn't another way. I run my own forum actually, and have some knowledge of it. It is a very easy fix, nothing difficult at all, so I don't see why it cannot be done. Instead of being ever so stubborn, learn to open your mind up a tad bit more. 

Just because that's how it should be, that does not mean that's how it is. Like I said, the reason WHY you quote everything is because it quotes the post data. What's the post data consist of? All of the other quotes. Therefor, either you would have to develop something yourself (in this case the OSBot admins), or the developers of IPB would have to do it. Good luck with that either way. That's not going to even be easy to do, let alone convince either party to do it. 

As for having a user receive a notification, it is possible. And actually, on my last botting forum, it was the whole emphasis of the forum. Not only could you tag a user, but you could tag a whole user group. Now, a quick search shows that IPB either doesn't have one, or it's a paid one. Either way, not my problem as I don't deal with IPB. Here's the link for that. http://www.forumleaders.com/threads/user-tagging-for-ipb.562/

That other forum, if I can remember right, used vB. Both vB and MyBB have built in (or in vB's case, a mod / plugin I believe) function that allows you to tag a user by doing @username. I can't remember if MyBB takes it as far as to be able to tag a user group, but I know vB does. Therefore, you can't say that it's impossible since I've dealt with it in two different forum softwares, paid and unpaid even.

I'm not being "not open minded"; I'm simply giving you the truth behind this. And like I said, feel free to create that mod for IPB that would allow you to quote only what a user said and to exclude all the other quotes in his post. But, you would be the first person to do it. So, I suggest you learn the IPB API, among many other things.

The reason you quote other quotes is because that is the post. If you don't want to quote the other parts, then don't quote the post at all. Simply @their_name or don't complain. Or, quote the post and delete the unnecessary crap. 

I prefer for people to quote my post so that I can get a notification and reply faster. If they don't reply, I usually don't check the thread again. Having huge quote's are just vexing and an eyesore. 

As for having a user receive a notification, it is possible. And actually, on my last botting forum, it was the whole emphasis of the forum. Not only could you tag a user, but you could tag a whole user group. Now, a quick search shows that IPB either doesn't have one, or it's a paid one. Either way, not my problem as I don't deal with IPB. Here's the link for that. http://www.forumleaders.com/threads/user-tagging-for-ipb.562/

That other forum, if I can remember right, used vB. Both vB and MyBB have built in (or in vB's case, a mod / plugin I believe) function that allows you to tag a user by doing @username. I can't remember if MyBB takes it as far as to be able to tag a user group, but I know vB does. Therefore, you can't say that it's impossible since I've dealt with it in two different forum softwares, paid and unpaid even.

I'm not being "not open minded"; I'm simply giving you the truth behind this. And like I said, feel free to create that mod for IPB that would allow you to quote only what a user said and to exclude all the other quotes in his post. But, you would be the first person to do it. So, I suggest you learn the IPB API, among many other things.

You are flat out wrong: http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/6253-mentions/ & http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/4922-pav32-someone-mentions-you/

Now, a quick search shows that IPB either doesn't have one, or it's a paid one. Either way, not my problem as I don't deal with IPB.

If I actually did anything with IPB, like visit their site for example (which I don't, if you couldn't tell from what I said), then I *might* know that. But then again, like I said, I don't touch IPB or anything related to it. (Obviously websites that use it are an excuse as I have no control of that).

Edited by BrainDeadGenius