Music On/Off

Juggles

While making my fishing script on Karajama island to fish lobsters, I noticed an extremely high usage of memory when fishing lobsters/swordfish. 

This does not occur when fishing anything else in Runescape. Now this only occurred while I had my music on, but when I turned the RS music off, the memory would go down to normal. 

I have no idea how or why this happens but it has been bugging me for a week now. 

The problem only seems to occur on linux too. 

I rewrote the fishing script 5 different times but the problem still occurred. The way it got fixed was by putting all of the RS music off. 

This makes no sense to me what so ever. 

• Like 3

From the little research I've done on this, it seems that audio is in fact the culprit. My educated guess is that when the game makes a sound, java queues it up to be sent to the local audio device. On VPS/Dedicated servers though, there is no audio device. So the buffers fill up until it crashes the JVM.

There are two ways to fix this, first way is Juggles method. If you have control of the script, this is the best method (maybe better with method #2? untested). Simply make a script able to disable the music, or manually do this to each acc (Go into settings, move all 3 sliders in sound options to the left).

The second way is to install an audio server. I simply installed ALSA + Pulseaudio with a "dummy" driver, and in my tests I have seen this also allows the buffer to be emptied. For a basic tutorial on this in Ubuntu:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/28176/how-do-i-run-pulseaudio-in-a-headless-server-installation

Feel free to contact me if you are having trouble as well.

Thanks again @Juggles for giving me this hint, this issue has been a thorn in me side for a while now. Not anymore smile.png

Edited by Lemons
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...