thinking to buy a server to bot

Lewis

looking to get my own server to run bots on, looking at some like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=64gb+ram+server&_osacat=175698&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X32gb+ram+server.TRS0&_nkw=32gb+ram+server&_sacat=175698

Main question is can i actually use these to run bots aha

• Like 1

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($151.98 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard: ASRock 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($37.24 @ Newegg) 

Memory: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($61.88 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($119.13 @ B&H) 

Case: Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($21.98 @ Newegg) 

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($42.33 @ OutletPC) 

Total: $467.52

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Put together a build for you that will be better than buying a high memory server. Should give you a good starting place.

Some people hate AMD CPUs, but it's honestly unwarranted. For the cost, they are great CPUs. They run hot if you overclock though, so keep that in mind.

Edited by Solzhenitsyn
  • Like 2

looking to get my own server to run bots on, looking at some like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=64gb+ram+server&_osacat=175698&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X32gb+ram+server.TRS0&_nkw=32gb+ram+server&_sacat=175698

Main question is can i actually use these to run bots aha

If you can find a Intel i7 4790 or something around that nature that would do you well depending on how many bots you wanna run you might wanna look into an E5-XXXX processor not an E5420 or E5520 anything like that. You really want to focus on the single core/thread performance. Then you also have to look at colocation prices and IP prices to store those servers usually when you get servers off ebay there old and use loads of power and power is a bit spender in data centers. Id say just think the whole process through before ordering anything. 

Hell if your on a budget just use OVH. If that does not work when I need servers built and I'm on a budget I usually get http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/mrrackables?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 to build my servers for me because they don't give you old crappy hardware. 

Edited by GoNode5

If you can find a Intel i7 4790 or something around that nature that would do you well depending on how many bots you wanna run you might wanna look into an E5-XXXX processor not an E5420 or E5520 anything like that. You really want to focus on the single core/thread performance. Then you also have to look at colocation prices and IP prices to store those servers usually when you get servers off ebay there old and use loads of power and power is a bit spender in data centers. Id say just think the whole process through before ordering anything. 

Hell if your on a budget just use OVH. If that does not work when I need servers built and I'm on a budget I usually get http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/mrrackables?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 to build my servers for me because they don't give you old crappy hardware. 

Can vouch for MrRackables very good ebay re-seller. i have bought a few servers for some friends who wanted a NAS box for media. not sure what kind of config to look at for botting. (since i just use my gaming rig.)

Whatever hardware you do end up using. make sure the base OS is linux of some variety. as with 60+ bots you will need more than what windows provides for process management and memory consumption. not to mention advantages like bash scripts and cron jobs.

Edited by DocMatson

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($42.33 @ OutletPC) 

Put together a build for you that will be better than buying a high memory server. Should give you a good starting place.

Some people hate AMD CPUs, but it's honestly unwarranted. For the cost, they are great CPUs. They run hot if you overclock though, so keep that in mind.

i needed this. <3

This has really peaked my interest in doing this. Whichever route you take I'm interested to see what happens.

Also thanks for this, might consider putting together a high CPU machine strictly for this purpose. Do you or does anyone else have any idea how many clients/bots you'd be able to crank out with this sort of setup?

Also thanks for this, might consider putting together a high CPU machine strictly for this purpose. Do you or does anyone else have any idea how many clients/bots you'd be able to crank out with this sort of setup?

Can probably run 6 clients running well written scripts.

8-10 if you are willing to run in low resource mode.

Hopefully you understand the 3 'problems' on server hardware

- Heat, you can easily heat up a small apartment to +5-10 degr. celcius with only few servers

- Noise (You don't want to live within same space with the server)

- Power consumption, depending on your configuration but will add-up to be clearly seen in bill.