What are some essential recipes you should know how to cook?

NoahTheWeebWolf

As of August 14th I will be moving to Minnesota for Law School and thus living away from home for the first time as an adult(21 will be 22 in September). As a kid, I really had a passion for cooking since that's what I wanted to be growing up and over the years I learned quite a bit, but I just lost interest and peaked since I couldn't afford better equipment/had major life stuff to deal with. That said I am not completely new to cooking like I won't burn a cup of noodles. Not really picky either I will eat virtually anything as long as it's edible, and I know the nutritional info.

I just am trying to make a list of essential recipes for living on your own. I ask this because one of my few friends from college is a very talented cook, and I have had the pleasure of cooking with him twice(including today we made really good cream of broccoli spinach cheddar soup and green tea ice cream for desert). He has made the really awesome offer to help me learn any recipie I want once every week until I leave all he asks is that I make a list of recipes and buy the ingredients, and he will teach me everything I need to know =). This is a pretty awesome and fun opportunity and while I have some ideas, my mind is kind of blank now because of all that good food from earlier(it's a lot heavier than what I typically eat, lots of whole milk/heavy cream).

Thanks in advance everyone =).

TL:DR

I need some essential recipes for living on your own as I will be living on my own soon.

Ps

My room n campus has a full kitchen so I am not really limited in what I can cook.

• Like 1

Spaghetti , taco, chicken doge.png

Meh Spaghetti is too easy you just boil water and add pasta.

Meat on the other hand, is up there for me. I really want to learn how to make grilled chicken properly(mostly for Caesar's salads). Id love to learn how too cook meat really good in general(Grew up in a very clean kosher household, so everything was cooked well done no pink color/blood at all, and we mostly ate the leanest cuts of meat and had very few spices so my taste buds are pretty bland).

Bread and water.

Bread would be really fun to make but probably not practical as an every day thing.

Anything to do with rice, you can get a 25lb bag of rice for like 15 dollars, thats a fuck ton of rice.

That sounds good but unfortunately I am sure a rice cooker is the only thing we can't have.

Pretty sure I could still steam rice in a pot it just will be harder to do I imagine.

Meh Spaghetti is too easy you just boil water and add pasta.

Meat on the other hand, is up there for me. I really want to learn how to make grilled chicken properly(mostly for Caesar's salads). Id love to learn how too cook meat really good in general(Grew up in a very clean kosher household, so everything was cooked well done no pink color/blood at all, and we mostly ate the leanest cuts of meat and had very few spices so my taste buds are pretty bland).

Bread would be really fun to make but probably not practical as an every day thing.

That sounds good but unfortunately I am sure a rice cooker is the only thing we can't have.

Pretty sure I could still steam rice in a pot it just will be harder to do I imagine.

Anyone can can boil water for noodles and throw spaghetti sauce on noodles, you got to learn how to season it ;)

• Like 1