Windows 7 vs 8.1

Oliver

I used the developer preview, and from what I had experienced it was very slick and nice.

Reason I dislike windows 8.0 was mainly because of its really shocking launch, and its differences to windows 7.

Win 10 brings back the windows 7 feel, while keeping the functionality of windows 8.1 features like the start page, etc.

There we go; an actual argument :) I gotta agree, I'm not a fan of the UX of windows 8, especially since I don't own a touch screen. But performance wise, 8.1 definitely takes the cake.

Keep in mind, this is about windows 8.1, not the initial 8.0, and he is asking in terms of power, not UX. Windows 8.1 takes less power (allowing for longer battery life). On top of everything mentioned, account for factors like boot time and it's hard to believe Windows 7 could ever be considered the "more powerful system". I gotta agree with the fact that Windows 7 has a better user experience.

If possible, look into linux. Although it lacks support for mainstream programs like Word and Photoshop, the stability is unmatchable. If you're looking towards performance, Linux is your answer. Windows actually tends to degrade with time, mostly due to your registry getting cluttered. Believe it or not many Windows users actually understand how to properly take care of their Windows systems, which leads to slower performance over time. From what I've seen and experienced, this is not a problem for Linux machines

There we go; an actual argument smile.png I gotta agree, I'm not a fan of the UX of windows 8, especially since I don't own a touch screen. But performance wise, 8.1 definitely takes the cake.

Keep in mind, this is about windows 8.1, not the initial 8.0, and he is asking in terms of power, not UX. Windows 8.1 takes less power (allowing for longer battery life). On top of everything mentioned, account for factors like boot time and it's hard to believe Windows 7 could ever be considered the "more powerful system". I gotta agree with the fact that Windows 7 has a better user experience.

If possible, look into linux. Although it lacks support for mainstream programs like Word and Photoshop, the stability is unmatchable. If you're looking towards performance, Linux is your answer. Windows actually tends to degrade with time, mostly due to your registry getting cluttered. Believe it or not many Windows users actually understand how to properly take care of their Windows systems, which leads to slower performance over time. From what I've seen and experienced, this is not a problem for Linux machines

But to be fair he is building a desktop :P

Windows 8 wastes so much resources just so it can look pretty, lets be honest

That's not correct; Windows 8.1 actually consumes LESS resources. You should try profiling it. Lower memory usage, better clock times which results in faster response times.

Not downing your opinion that Windows 7 has a better UI; I share the same opinion, which is why I actually still use Windows 7

Edited by fixthissite

Not true at all.

Windows 8 doesn't even look pretty imo, a lot of the apps and interfaces are specifically designed to be as light as possible, whereas 7 is (comparatively) a mess.

That's not correct; Windows 8.1 actually consumes LESS resources. You should try profiling it. Lower memory usage, better clock times which results in faster response time

What I am getting at is if Win 8.1 didn't put additional resources into such things, and kept the traditional Windows feel, it would have been better from the beginning

CPU is great.

The cooler is underwhelming at best, that thing came out 6 years ago, and cooling technology had changed drastically.

The mobo is perfectly fine if not a bit too high end for your needs.

RAM is perfectly fine actually, why would you want to upgrade that? xD

GPU is hit or miss, doesn't say which cooler it has which will determine if it's horrible or not.

Personally not keen on the case, I find the HAF "High airflow" cases tend to pick up dust and hold it.

Seems mediocre in areas, since you're paying 1400 euros for it.

From my experience Windows 10 is terrible, I too used the developer preview and found it to be ridiculously inefficient in terms of CPU cycles.

To be quite honest, you're hating on it because it's different, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Thanks for your help ^_^

Actually, Windows 8.1 probably is about 15% more efficient than 7. After installing classic shell I don't mind windows 8.1. Either way you'll probably upgrade to ten when it comes out. As for components, drop the DVD drive, get a 1-2TB storage drive and a 256gb or so SSD. You won't regret the SSD.

Ps. If you're looking for a cheap, effective cooler try the Cooler Master 212 Evo 

What I am getting at is if Win 8.1 didn't put additional resources into such things, and kept the traditional Windows feel, it would have been better from the beginning

Yeah but that's not actually true. I forget where I had read it so I can't cite it, but the implementation of their UI is actually very light, I daresay lighter than the previous interfaces.

The generic hate for Windows 8 is sad really, we're provided a genuinely fantastic operating system and people complain over minimal differences that can be easily fixed.

I can run it just fine.  I've got the "Your OS is not supported yet." error 1-3 times but I just closed and restarted OSBot and it worked.

I had this issue as well; currently running on Windows 8.1, just needed to download the x86 .NET framework I believe it was and never had an issue since. 

Opinion? + SSD and Ram upgrade of course

1400€

cdf1ab467173b59835c113a2b0185618.png

You want to upgrade ram...seriously?

wtf is up with all these guys today that think that ram is like the entirety of the computer and more ram equates to a better computer...

My brother bought a new laptop and instead of upgrading to an i7, he got 16gb of ram arguing with me saying it's better. He doesn't game at all and all he does is youtube and safari. He didn't even need an upgrade but an i7 would've been a lot more justifiable than a ram upgrade.

Ram only helps if you're doing serious multi tasking with big programs. If you're not, then 8gb is perfectly fine.

You want to upgrade ram...seriously?

wtf is up with all these guys today that think that ram is like the entirety of the computer and more ram equates to a better computer...

My brother bought a new laptop and instead of upgrading to an i7, he got 16gb of ram arguing with me saying it's better. He doesn't game at all and all he does is youtube and safari. He didn't even need an upgrade but an i7 would've been a lot more justifiable than a ram upgrade.

Ram only helps if you're doing serious multi tasking with big programs. If you're not, then 8gb is perfectly fine.

Premiere CC, I heard a lot ram is good for it.