Does Jagex detect bot clients?

Ptero

I heard somewhere that Jagex detects accounts that simply log into the game using the OSBot client. Is this true?

I'm not too sure about the regular client, but I use mirror mode and I haven't been banned. I assume detection is based upon what you're botting, and if your account is suspicious (level 3, no quests, commonly botted skill/area).

Edit: And like it was said above, they probably only notice you aren't using their client.

Edited by SaveEdit

My understanding is that they can tell if you are using a modified client, like OSBuddy for example. It may be something to make them look at you more closely, but doesn't necessarily mean that you are botting.

So it doesn't have anything to do with how OSBot is specifically programmatically structured, as opposed to other bots?

I don't think they can tell if you're using it specifically, just that you aren't using their actual game client.

But that's just my theory. If they could tell, you would be insta banned just from logging in.

I think it has been confirmed though they wait a while before banning you so that bot developers can't identify what is causing those bans.

Edited by Ptero

So it doesn't have anything to do with how OSBot is specifically programmatically structured, as opposed to other bots?

I think it has been confirmed though they wait a while before banning you so that bot developers can't identify what is causing those bans.

This is all just speculation, but I personally don't think it has anything to do with OSBot specifically. To your 2nd point, I will have to agree with what was said above. If they could detect OSBot (or any other botting client) they would just ban you immediately. There would be no point to waiting to ban people.

Think about it if they waited, they would effectively just be trolling developers because they could solve their problem immediately by banning people right away. While I believe Jagex sucks, I don't think they would troll that hard lol.

• Developer

Yes they can detect most bot clients and identify them specifically. But if injected in the right way, it becomes way harder to detect at the client level. The Mirror Client mode on OSBot does that and proves that many bans are based on client detection for the biggest part, seeing as how much lower the banning rates are on the Mirror mode. The standard mode on OSBot is similar to the injection methods most other bots use and comes with a higher ban rate.

You can read about our thoughts on their detection system in the thread I posted about reducing ban rates in the main announcement section.

@ person above me: They gather information for their machine learning systems. Just logging in a bot client won't get you banned as their detection system is not solely based on client detection, but probably also on gains (xp, wealth etc) and behavioural patterns learned by their machine learning systems. It may get you banned though by just logging in alone.

Like I already said, I think the mirror client proves the point. Besides that, they have publicly admitted they can identify most main stream bigger bots specifically. As a developer I know why and how they do it.

I don't think they can detect the client. I feel the game is to light weight to have something on your computer that can tell when you're using any type of client. WoW for example can detect if you have cheat engine open, and it will not let you log on with it open. If they could detect the client, you'd most likely be insta-banned from logging in if they could detect it.

• Developer

Hi, is the mirror client basically a reflection based client, or does it do anything more than that?

The Mirror Client uses injection but done completely different than what the botting scene has seen so far. Let's just say it does a way better job at hiding its presence. In fact, the injection can't be seen with their current client.

It does two things, it hides its injection for their client level detection systems and leaves the OSRS client in its original execution environment.

The Mirror Client uses injection but done completely different than what the botting scene has seen so far. Let's just say it does a way better job at hiding its presence. In fact, the injection can't be seen with their current client.

It does two things, it hides its injection for their client level detection systems and leaves the OSRS client in its original execution environment.

So it's not reflection based?