Anyone good with computers?

Intestine

i'm buying this computer through Bestbuy. I don't know how to build my own, as i know nothing about the parts. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-essentio-desktop-12gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive/5818029.p?id=1219159703153&skuId=5818029&st=pcmcat287600050002_categoryid$abcat0501000&cp=1&lp=1

IS it a good purchase? or should I keep looking or find someone to help me build my own?

Thats actually a good purchase, not going to lie though, we have a pretty huge computer store about 45 minutes from us that does sales every weekend.... if you wanted to wait you could find someone that knows how to build them and get the SAME thing built for about $750 looking at whats in it, and what I know is on sale atm. But thats your call :P if moneys no problem thats a great purchase. (best buy is usually a little pricer fyi $50+ ish)

This is actually a decent pre-built for that price. What do you actually want to use the computer for? It is has a powerful CPU and chances are you won't need all the power. Also note that it does have a cheap graphics card so gaming wise it could run games on low - medium settings (roughly the same as PS4/XBone)

Edited by Diclonius

For gaming, 12gb ram is total overkill. 8 is more than enough. An I7 is a killer processor, but overkill for gaming. If that's your goal, build one with a graphics card as expensive as an I7 and a processor for $120 like an fx-6300.

Also, I always suggest building your own. It tends to be a better value and you know exactly what's going into it. Also makes upgrading easy. If you have any interest, PM me and I will answer any questions you might have. I've built, and overclocked 4 computers before.

You could try building your own computer its alot easier then you would think. There's nice newegg tutorials on youtube and you can look in the motherboard manual to see where you plug everything in at. You can't really mess up when you build it either as long as you ground yourself or wear an anti-static wristband because static electricity will fry your parts. When I built my computer I had no clue on what I was doing I researched my parts went to reddit's computer forum asked for advice they changed my build up a bit then I went to tomshardware forums and they said it was all good. If you wait until black friday you can get some really really good deals.

Heres my build I spent around 390 for the parts and 90 for the OS (didn't want to pirate it) and I built it around black friday / cyber monday 2 years ago

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($110.39 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($48.99 @ Mac Mall) 
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer  ($33.50 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($88.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $578.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Edited by Jebbyo
  • Like 1

- I'd recommand getting a 128 - 256gb(75 - 150$) SSD, or maybe a cheap 512GB SSD( 200$ )

- Better Graphics card (GTX 760 - 770)

- Lower the processor I5 4670 should be sufficient. 

- 8 GB ram would be more then enough. 

Get to know some more details abouts PSU & Motherboard. 

Exactly.

The graphics card is decent, but a gtx 770-780 would be the best, & unless you make youtube videos & process a lot of things, you wont need 12gb of ram. 8gb is fine. 

Pretty good purchase though.

• Like 1