How do I set up IntelliJ so that I can view separate code in another tab?

DirtyDick

I was working with Eclipse whilst I was learning and I managed to open my 'Framework.java' class within my Java Project so that I could copy and paste relevant snippets (see photo).

For the most part, it worked really well - I could easily switch between the two tabs and it really sped up my script writing.

I can't recall how I set this up but I must've done something wrong because when I export the .jar, it seems to overwrite my previous scripts and all of my scripts are called 'Framework' in OSBot 😂

Nevertheless, I'm now switching to IntelliJ because I prefer the UI and I figured I'd ask here for advice on initial setup as hopefully I'm not the only one here that prefers working this way.

I've written about 50 very basic scripts now so I'd really like a better, more streamlined way of opening a new project in IntelliJ, having my 'Framework.java' code readily available but in a way that doesn't affect the .jar export process - any advice would be hugely appreciated please..!

xmple.png

20 hours ago, Lunar said:

Just make a project template. You'll have to rename the jar in the project artifacts whenever you make a new project, but that's it.

If you want to view two classes at the same time, just drag the tab for one class to the side of the window. Intellij will display both classes at the same time.

Thanks for the reply, I've just set up IntelliJ using this guide.

Just to be certain (before I mess something up), are you saying I can just create another class within my template project, call it 'Framework' and paste in all my snippets from Eclipse using /* */ and it won't affect any scripts I export?

As you kindly suggested, I'll be initializing this script template project by default, using 'Save As' to give it a custom name and then renaming the jar in Artifacts before writing any code.

class.png

6 hours ago, Khaleesi said:

You can right click the tab at the top and choose split right.
Is that what you need?

Thanks for this - I wasn't aware of this split-screen function, it'll prove very handy when copy and pasting snippets instead of switching between the tabs. Many thanks!