What will happen to osbot?

trainux

4 hours ago, RoomScape said:

I think the thing about copyright for RuneLite is the 'Rune' in it's name.

Or am I missing something? I know they already successfully taken down (or at least sites changed their names) sites that had "RS" in it as Jagex claimed copyright for the name 'RuneScape'.

Ye you have that wrong. The cease and desist was issued because of the deobfuscator (that particular one has been around since about 2016 i think?) . Afaik Jagex hold the trademark "Runescape" but they do not own a trademark for "rune" and they have no product on the market that is called "rune" and therefore they cannot sue for that.    

Nothing will happen to OSBot, cba reading more of the replies lmao but I'm sure this has already been said.

Pretty sure jagex can detect if a client is a 3rd party vs official, but they cannot detect if the client is konduit/runelite/osbot.

Anyways, if you wanna keep using runelite. Go thru the forks on their github and grab the deobfuscator from someones old repo then you can update the hooks every thursday and use the client if you play legit.

1 hour ago, Maldesto said:

Bots have been around since 2002 for runescape, they've never shut down one completely. Clearly they won't do anything about bots, only helper clients which they aren't profiting from. All runelite has to do is make a "pro" version for 5.00 and give jagex a % and they will let them stay. 

Didn’t they shut down impsoft? Or got them shut down

7 hours ago, Plaxonn said:

Pretty sure the copyright was the code of RS, i guess the API

That's literally every bot and client, though. It's more than just RuneLite.

3 hours ago, Zappster said:

Ye you have that wrong. The cease and desist was issued because of the deobfuscator (that particular one has been around since about 2016 i think?) . Afaik Jagex hold the trademark "Runescape" but they do not own a trademark for "rune" and they have no product on the market that is called "rune" and therefore they cannot sue for that.    

Nothing will happen to OSBot, cba reading more of the replies lmao but I'm sure this has already been said.

Pretty sure jagex can detect if a client is a 3rd party vs official, but they cannot detect if the client is konduit/runelite/osbot.

Anyways, if you wanna keep using runelite. Go thru the forks on their github and grab the deobfuscator from someones old repo then you can update the hooks every thursday and use the client if you play legit.

I'm pretty sure they're the reason RSBot changed their name to p****bot and why RSGold (or something) had to take the 'RS' out of their name since Jagex claimed copyright or other legal action.

10 hours ago, RoomScape said:

I'm pretty sure they're the reason RSBot changed their name to p****bot and why RSGold (or something) had to take the 'RS' out of their name since Jagex claimed copyright or other legal action.

Probably C&D'd for using "RS" even tho "RS" isn't even a trademark owned by Jagex. Probably could be argued in court and won in Jagex's favour for those examples as it could be an acronym for Runescape.

Runelite I don't think so tho. The only trademark for "Rune" was by some company in USA that failed to renew in 2016:

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcase/page/Results/4/EU000235549

Edit: Sorry there's 2 more uses of "Rune" both which arn't registered for internet gaming.

TIL you can get soaps made from Rune : https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcase/page/Results/1/UK00002113506

TIL you can get ball bearings made from Rune: https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcase/page/Results/23/WE00001282723

Edit2: Sicne you asked about copyright; these are the open copyrights for "rune"

1aa6b4d1a7ed25306e43a4db548c54e6.png

Source: https://www.tmdn.org/tmdsview-web/welcome

Edited by Zappster

• 3 weeks later...