Thoughts?

Charlotte

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-06/bitcoin-mining-service-nicehash-says-hackers-emptied-its-wallet

With cryptocurrency being the in thing in the market, are bitcoin mining services using "hackers" as an excuse to cheat you of your money?

Edit: Just checked my nicehash wallet, lost about $3k worth in btc.

Edited by Charlotte

I highly doubt it's an intentional thing since they would've made more just continuing on legit. All it takes is one smart exploit to get in, or someone forgetting to keep databases updated or 3rd party apps introduce vulnerabilities as well, or something as ridiculous as a dumb employee plugging in foreign usb into a company computer. Even banks fall victim to these scams but in most cases they can recover the funds, with btc it's different because they can slowly cash out or trade for alt coins and cash out from those.

9 hours ago, Charlotte said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-06/bitcoin-mining-service-nicehash-says-hackers-emptied-its-wallet

With cryptocurrency being the in thing in the market, are bitcoin mining services using "hackers" as an excuse to cheat you of your money?

Edit: Just checked my nicehash wallet, lost about $3k worth in btc.

This is why you shouldn't store any crypto, especially a significant amount like $3k on web services, or any external place where it is out of your control.

• March 2014 - Mt. Gox exchange hack with $473 million stolen
  • February 2015 - Bter (exchange) $1,750,000 stolen
  • January 2015 - Bitstamp exchange hack with $5.1 million stolen

• March 2016 - ShapeShift (exchange) $230,000 stolen

• March 2016 - Cointrader $33,600 stolen

• June 2016 - Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO) hack with $50 million stolen

• July 2016 - Steemit.com hack with $85,000 stolen

• August 2016 - Bitfinex hack with $66 million stolen

• July 2017 - CoinDash ICO hack with $7 million stolen

• July 2017 - Parity multisig wallet hack with $32 million stolen

• July 2017 - Veritaseum’s Ether wallet hacked with $8 million stolen

• August 2017 - Enigma ICO hack with $500,000 stolen

Honestly there are many more than these, I just got bored copy / pasting.

With crypto being so hot right now, it is a big target for hackers and scammers.

And also, because it is so new, a lot of these services and software are not as bulletproof as they should be, and due to the anonymity factor I wouldn't trust the creators either.

Do yourself a favor, purchase a hardware wallet, or use a paper wallet, and don't keep chunks of money on shitty services.

You wouldn't trust a significant amount of $/£/whatever on some random ass website, so why do it with crypto?

Edited by Explv