Open Source OSbot Scripts

Tall Guy

32 minutes ago, fr0sted said:

I'm with this guy. There are a lot of src you just gotta look for it

Agreed there are a lot out there, as opposed to starting a repository if someone was able to make a sticky that would be awesome.

I wouldn't really want to upload open source code to someone else's repository and not be able to remove it / edit it, if i so choose.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chikan said:

The point of the post is having the OP post his own scripts as open source in one place. 08egans replied that he would appriciate it as he's learning. I think you missed the entire point of the post. :think:

Ya I hear ya. Was agreeing with 08 and let him know that there were src available now as opposed to waiting for OP to post a repo. The more src the better OP <3.

• Boge 1

Yeah, the general idea I had was to make a general Github repo, where everyone could contribute to scripts or make new ones or learn from what's there.

I definitely get what you're saying about some scripts already being open src. 

It was more asking if anyone would want to contribute to a single repo of OSbot scripts. I think it would be cool if the community placed its focus on one place.

That being said I'm pretty new, so I could be wrong.

Once you find a good open source script you really shouldn't need to see more. If you do need to see more then maybe you should learn more java instead. Anyone that's spent the time to learn java won't need multiple sources. Learning to script exclusively from open source scripts with little java knowledge is a bad idea. It breeds bad habits and bad code.

That's just my opinion though, good luck with your project

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Finding this months later and really wish there were a github with repos or a sticky.

If a would-be programmer is lazy and does not learn enough fundamentals about the language or CS to become competent, that is their choice.  Others would benefit tremendously from the freedom to explore good code.

Learning Java (or any language) and learning from open source programs are not mutually exclusive.  All of the developers I know learn from open source projects.  The idea that you should find a single decent example and never need any others is somewhat bizarre.  The suggestion that learning from multiple good examples could actually be detrimental is downright ludicrous.

The fact is that this forum is littered with a hodge-podge of snippets.  They range in quality from absolute gem to counter-productive.  They are almost exclusively devoid of context or adequate explanation.  Many are out of date.  Tons of  them are repeats.  Not an insignificant subset are hidden between, "go read the API" and "learn java" comments (perhaps warranted).  

An open source library would cut down on useless posts.  It would save many an OPs time.  It would save the developers who answer those OPs time (God bless them).  It would save the people flaming the OPs time.  It would naturally select out bad code, and lead those in search to better quality, more up-to-date examples.

Many of the free scripts are broken.  Some of them just need small patches, and in fact would not be broken at this very moment if I or anyone else interested were able to fork, patch and submit a PR for them. I understand some authors may want to keep their free script private.  But for those intending to give the code away, why not make a repo where the community can help keep it updated and learn from it?

@Explv, in my opinion, did newcomers a big favor by open sourcing his Tutorial Island Script.  How appropriate that it should be the tutorial island script and it is a good place for noobs to begin!  We need more repos like his, in my opinion.  I believe his tutorial island script hangs right after making dough for the baker.  I will try to get around to forking and patching it.  This is an option for me because the code is on github.

Thank you to everyone who participates in this community, especially to those who maintain OSBot itself, or spent their time helping others on the forum, or contributed scripts.  You have provided me and many others with an awesome incentive to branch out into Java, and have a ton of fun.  You are awesome.

TLDR; Open source repos is an all-around Good Thing for any programming community.  Period.  Thanks to every member of this community!

Edited by busychild
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 10/6/2017 at 9:56 AM, withoutidols said:

Agreed there are a lot out there, as opposed to starting a repository if someone was able to make a sticky that would be awesome.

I wouldn't really want to upload open source code to someone else's repository and not be able to remove it / edit it, if i so choose.

you can just fork the repo and do anything you want.