C# Sorting a list by amount of occurring letters in a string

Tom

Aint in a thinking mood, been thinking all day.

Say I have a Dictionairy<char, int> values, and each letter has an amount of points you score for each occurrence in a string

A=1,B=2,C=3,D=4,E=5,F=6,G=7,H=8,I=9,J=10,K=11,L=12,M=13,N=14,O=15,P=16,Q=17,R=18,S=19,T=20,U=21,V=22,W=23,X=24,Y=25,Z=26
Imagine that being loaded into a the dictionary pretty much. The word OSBot would give 15 + 19 + 2 + 15 + 20 = 71 points

So now I have a list of words, the words are completely random but they are real words.
I want to sort this list by the amount of points I would obtain per word.

The amount of points per letter arent always alphabetical, so A could be 30 points and Z could be 29 points, its random.

If anyone knows of a good way to do this, or needs a better explanation, let me know. LINQ stuff is preferred.

Edit: I'm onto something literally 1 minute after posting this thread.
Calculate the points per word, then add it to a dictionary Word, Points, then sort that dictionary by the amount of points.

Just delete this shit I was too tired for my own good

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

Just now, HunterRS said:

Your edit is pretty much heads on, python would be a lot easier coding wise if you can use it :p

They are both incredibly high level languages, not sure why it would make any difference.

O(n) would be simplest, just putting the string to a char array then adding from each occurrence in the Dictionary (map?). I'm sure there is a BST way which is O(n log n).

2 minutes ago, Alek said:

They are both incredibly high level languages, not sure why it would make any difference.

O(n) would be simplest, just putting the string to a char array then adding from each occurrence in the Dictionary (map?). I'm sure there is a BST way which is O(n log n).

Syntax wise python would be just shorter, and I am lazy :) 

EDIT: Dictionary is map ya

Edited by HunterRS

Just now, Alek said:

Just ended up doing

foreach(String w in words) {
                    int points = 0;
                    char[] c = w.ToCharArray();
                    foreach(char x in c) {
                        points += pointsPerCharacter[x.ToString()];
                    }

wordPoints.Add(w, points);
                }

var topWords = wordPoints.OrderByDescending(pair => pair.Value);

As long as it works for now, I'm satisfied. Leaving assignments to the last minute, I'm sure you know how it is

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

Just ended up doing

int points = 0;
                    foreach(char x in c) {
                    }

}

As long as it works for now, I'm satisfied. Leaving assignments to the last minute, I'm sure you know how it is

Alek does have a point thought, this might be good for now but there will be a time when you will be asked to do it with a specific run time function (Sorry if that is not the name in English, I mean O(n) or O(n^2) something like that) and you will want to know how to go about doing that. Might aswell start as soon as possible though ofcurse if it is time sensitive and not preformance sensitive then fuck all that shit :) .

Edited by HunterRS
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

Just ended up doing

int points = 0;
                    foreach(char x in c) {
                    }

}

Shouldn't the pointsPerCharacter be a Dictionary<char, int> ? You could remove that .ToString() call if it was.

Also i'm not sure you need to call .ToCharArray(), can't you just do:

foreach (char c in word)
{
  points += pointsPerCharacter[c];
}

I'm sure you could make your code even more succinct using Linq, but i'm not really super familiar with C#.

36 minutes ago, Tom said:

Edit: I'm onto something literally 1 minute after posting this thread.
Calculate the points per word, then add it to a dictionary Word, Points, then sort that dictionary by the amount of points.

Just delete this shit I was too tired for my own good

Alternative method (again i'm not that familiar with C#) would be to create a custom Comparer and then use the built in List sort method https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/234b841s(v=vs.110).aspx

12 minutes ago, Explv said:

Shouldn't the pointsPerCharacter be a Dictionary<char, int> ? You could remove that .ToString() call if it was.

Also i'm not sure you need to call .ToCharArray(), can't you just do:

foreach (char c in word)
{
  points += pointsPerCharacter[c];
}

I'm sure you could make your code even more succinct using Linq, but i'm not really super familiar with C#.

Yeah you're right in both aspects. I haven't visited C# since the start of last year so yeah its been fun