Correct method for adding a MouseListener and MouseMotionListener, consume()?

inlustra

Hi guys,

Pretty simple: I'm making a component system using the g2d (Have made).

I have to ask, what's with the BotMouseListener, how does it work? (Docs are empty) where does it interact? and how does it differ from the regular MouseEvents and Listeners.

My issue is with the blockInput(Point) method, why? Why not just use the regular Java consume()/isConsumed()? 

The blockInput(Point) method does not allow components to differentiate the click by any other method (Such as modifiers) 

Why not just use consume? 

Thanks,

Tom

Make a class which would implement MouseListener, add all the default methods and use them to your liking.

Then create a new object of your class and simply add it to your script like this:

//your mouse object
Mouse mouseObject = new Mouse();

public void onStart(){
    getBot().addMouseListener(mouseObject);
}

Here are some snippets on how to hide your paint if you want:

public class Mouse implements MouseListener {
    //create a boolean
    public boolean hidePaint;

@Override
    public void mouseClicked(MouseEvent e) {
        //create our point variable
        Point p = e.getPoint();
        //create our rectangle
        Rectangle rec = new Rectangle(x,y,width,height);
        //check if the rectangle contains point and change booleans state
        if(rec.contains(p))
            hidePaint = !hidePaint;
    }

@Override
    public void mouseEntered(MouseEvent e) {         
    }

@Override
    public void mouseExited(MouseEvent e) {
    }

@Override
    public void mousePressed(MouseEvent e) {
    }
    @Override
    public void mouseReleased(MouseEvent e) {
    }
}
public class Main extends Script{
    //pas our mouse object
    Mouse mouse = new Mouse();

public void onStart(){
        //add our mouse object as a mouse listener
        getBot().addMouseListener(mouse);
    }

public void onPaint(Graphics2D g){
        //check if our boolean is false
        if(!mouse.hidePaint){
            //draw our stuff
        }
    }

public int onLoop(){
        return 0;
    }
} 
Edited by Vilius

Thanks for your input, but that's not really my question.

I understand how to use the MouseListener interface, my question is about the logic behind blocking and input from the user.

Currently, you can override BotMouseListener and return false on the blockInput(Point) method in order to stop a users input from reaching the canvas.

Not only must this require extra logic behind the scenes (instanceof BotMouseListener?) but the MouseListeners also take no notice of the isConsumed() method in the MouseEvent classes.

Either I'm missing something or the devs have implemented it differently.

For example:

@Override
            e.consume(); //This does nothing! :'(
            log.trace("Consumed click event.");
    }

@Override
    public boolean blockInput(Point point) {
        return true; //This does! But I don't have access to the MouseEvent! :'(
    } 

The MouseEvent is still fired on the Frame/WrappedCanvas

Edited by inlustra

Thanks for your input, but that's not really my question.

I understand how to use the MouseListener interface, my question is about the logic behind blocking and input from the user.

Currently, you can override BotMouseListener and return false on the blockInput(Point) method in order to stop a users input from reaching the canvas.

Not only must this require extra logic behind the scenes (instanceof BotMouseListener?) but the MouseListeners also take no notice of the isConsumed() method in the MouseEvent classes.

Either I'm missing something or the devs have implemented it differently.

For example:

@Override
            e.consume(); //This does nothing! :'(
            log.trace("Consumed click event.");
    }

@Override
    public boolean blockInput(Point point) {
        return true; //This does! But I don't have access to the MouseEvent! :'(
    } 

The MouseEvent is still fired on the Frame/WrappedCanvas

From what I understand you just want to block the input from the user?

If so, then this is useless to you, you need to do it like this:

getBot().disableHumanInput(true);

And I think BotMouseListener is used for internal use only.

No, this is the thing, I want to block user input depending on where they click (Did they click in my rectangle?)  :)

My component system wraps the MouseEvent using a custom class that modifies the x and y relative to the component: 

if (this.mousePressed(new LightMouseEvent(e, this)))
    e.consume(); 

Which ultimately doesn't matter because e.consume() wasn't implemented :P

I thought maybe someone knew if there is a specific implementation I can hook into using one of the many addMouseListener functions out there, such as getBot().getWrappedCanvas()!

There's definitely a Frame with the same implementation.

What's the difference! :o

Before dispatching a mouse event to the RS client, the bot client checks if any registered BotMouseListener is blocking it.

To achieve what you want, create a new MouseListener class by implementing the BotMouseListener interface. This interface will implement the method

blockInput(Point point)

Which will let you specify whether a mouse event at the specified point should be dispatched to the RS client or not.

Much like consuming the event, except it will still trigger all the subsequent MouseListeners (Unless you consume all events as well)

So if you have a button at Rectangle x, you will simply need to return true at blockInput if the given Point is within that rectangle.

Edited by FrostBug

Before dispatching a mouse event to the RS client, the bot client checks if any registered BotMouseListener is blocking it.

To achieve what you want, create a new MouseListener class by implementing the BotMouseListener interface. This interface will implement the method

blockInput(Point point)

Which will let you specify whether a mouse event at the specified point should be dispatched to the RS client or not.

Much like consuming the event, except it will still trigger all the subsequent MouseListeners (Unless you consume all events as well)

So if you have a button at Rectangle x, you will simply need to return true at blockInput if the given Point is within that rectangle.

Thanks, Best explanation so far, but it actually confirms my suspicions that the mouse handling of the bot was written somewhat poorly where they've decided to implement a custom interface rather than use default Java. 

Again, by forcing the use of blockInput(Point point) (infact, I'd be totally fine with a method `blockInput(MouseEvent event)`), I don't have access to any of the InputEvent parameters from my inner-components, which means I'll need to create some kind of wrapper! mellow.png *sigh* 

Do the devs accept any developer git-branching? 

Thanks again.

Edited by inlustra

Thanks, Best explanation so far, but it actually confirms my suspicions that the mouse handling of the bot was written somewhat poorly where they've decided to implement a custom interface rather than use default Java. 

Again, by forcing the use of blockInput(Point point) (infact, I'd be totally fine with a method `blockInput(MouseEvent event)`), I don't have access to any of the InputEvent parameters from my inner-components, which means I'll need to create some kind of wrapper! mellow.png *sigh* 

Do the devs accept any developer git-branching? 

Thanks again.

Best you can do is leave a suggestion, they rarely take code from others for the client.