Why do we need diversity?

Qubit

Another random question for everyone out there. I  just want to know what you guys think because the question just popped in my head. As the title states why do you believe we do or do not need diversity.

Types:

- Racially Diverse

- Gender Diverse

Areas:

-Academia

-Work Force

my opinion:

In academia I think it's good to be diverse racially and by gender because, at this point in a college students life they must adapt to a new environment that is probably much different than their own at home. I think i prepares them for the possibility of what type of environment and people  they will be dealing with in the future. I also think it brings in many opposing views and opinions which is important for everyone at least be exposed to, which allows a student to be well educated.

workforce:

In the workforce I think it is good (not essential) to be racially diverse because again you bring people from different backgrounds and experiences, who have different ways of solving problems and dealing with them. 

In a workforce I don't think it is important to be gender diverse. I mean yeah it's good to have a women's  or male's approach on something. But, gender is binary and I don't think having half male and half female is diverse at all. Nevertheless you could have 5 women and 5 men from the same area and all of them be similar. Which is why I believe it's important to be racially diverse because you can get many people whether male or female from different areas and backgrounds and different experiences.

Chat away.. 

Edited by Qubit

None of this says anything about why we would need diversity as by term. 

Gender diversity is only important in the way scientifically for human reproduction. We don't "need" anymore then we do, like we say we do have. Some different things in the way the brain works between males and females but minimal.

Racially, it provides no benefits directly while still producing unwanted results, although that would not be fixed if it had not existed in the first place. ie racism. Because people will always find a reason to hate each other. 

Having said people from different areas, backgrounds, experiences can apply to anyone of the exact race and gender, it's just a matter of chance.

I feel like there are some more things that can be well debated but this imo is a terribly setup question or vague for lack of a better word.

racially diverse:

we don't need diversity as much as we need understanding. if more people understood and were more accepting of races, cultures, religions, traditions and sexual orientation (i know it's not race but it kinda fits) then there wouldn't be a need to be diverse.

gender diverse:

is not needed. some things are better left untouched. men and woman working together are ones of those things. if a man desires to work in a field dominated by woman he's going to and vise versa. just because there isn't a 50/50 split or even something like a 33/67 doesn't mean that there is an issue.

solution to both:

be more accepting and maybe take the time to learn about other races and cultures. if someone is of a different race it doesn't really matter. if someone is a male nurse or a female construction worker or female soldier, well that doesn't really matter either. if everyone was accepting of others and just worried about their own lives a little more the world would be a much better place to live.

• Like 3

racially diverse:

we don't need diversity as much as we need understanding. if more people understood and were more accepting of races, cultures, religions, traditions and sexual orientation (i know it's not race but it kinda fits) then there wouldn't be a need to be diverse.

gender diverse:

is not needed. some things are better left untouched. men and woman working together are ones of those things. if a man desires to work in a field dominated by woman he's going to and vise versa. just because there isn't a 50/50 split or even something like a 33/67 doesn't mean that there is an issue.

solution to both:

be more accepting and maybe take the time to learn about other races and cultures. if someone is of a different race it doesn't really matter. if someone is a male nurse or a female construction worker or female soldier, well that doesn't really matter either. if everyone was accepting of others and just worried about their own lives a little more the world would be a much better place to live.

Well said champ ;)

• Like 1

You at uni? I'm literally doing this in one of my modules called critical resource management the topic is acculturation

Well i'm in a university now, but the question just popped in my head looking around some VICE news articles.

I feel like there are some more things that can be well debated but this imo is a terribly setup question or vague for lack of a better word.

the question was meant to be open ended....