Sailing & Zeah - what do you think?

blabla123

Link to developer blog, I suggest you read through it first: LINK

Soo what so you guys think about their plans for future?

I have to say I'm super excited to see a whole new skill AND a whole new fkn continent ! That's shitloads of new content to explore - just like in the old days exploring RS for the first time.

Do you look forward to it or do you dislike their plans? And please also state your reason why, I'm curious. I just hope this passes the poll when the time comes.

is it a f2p skill or mem's skill

They did not specify it, so I suppose it will be member only skill. But on the other hand they mentioned it as a mean of getting to the new content... So either both of these things will be f2p or both will be p2p. We will have to see. But it really isn't that important to me tbh.

If it gets polled it will most likely not pass tbh.

I fear the same thing, but I just hope enough people will vote yes for this.

b...bb...but its not even april

Yeah, we all have THAT in mind when we hear word Sailing. But I doubt it's going to be anything like that! Based on how they described it, it's going to be lot more than just 1) click boat 2) yay, you're there!

It might not be polled and just implemented instead, if jagex doesn't allow new content into the game, larger scale type stuff, then the game will slowely die. 

Some parts of it will be hit and miss but OSRS needs some new content... badly.

Finally some thoughtful comment. I see it very similarly. Many people fear new content, or just dont want anything new at all. But who would play the same game as when it was released? To be honest I stopped playing RS3 not because of content, but because of those graphic updates. But all I see in OSRS are quality of life updates while perserving old school graphics.

A Friend - one of few OSRS players I have subscribed to has a point in his last video - many people just have so much yet to achieve that they dont want anything new. But they dont think about the people who already achieved almost everything, or even themselves when they achieve everything but the poll may not come for years or at all.

seriously though, what I like:

• it's a new idea. last thing we want is for them to release dung or summoning. you can see how shit rs3 has become and we dont want osrs to follow in its footsteps
  • Sounds like a cool idea with using the current map and shipyards to its advantage.

What I don't like

• Sailing is now considered a joke and now no1 can take it seriously
  • Sounds a little hacked together as a skill... skills suck when they try to incorporate other skills alongside them - an example is smithing... there's no fletching in smithing. But they said there would be a 'little bit for everyone' in sailing. I don't like this :)
  • They could spend more time thinking on a cooler, more novel idea

apa

I think they went for sailing because it's a great way to come up with tons of new content. So instead of adding new monster/NPC/story/quest into the existing continent and finding and thinking about a way how to incorporate and introduce it, so it works with other stuff already in place they can just link everything to the main land by sailing.

Iam stoked about this its allot like dung but better becase its not restart from zero every floor and get items, food and then repeat all floors over and over, Best part is that this new skil maybe involve new money making methods smile.png new script? tongue.png

Indeed, the fact that you can bring items back with you is great and a major differece to dungeoneering. I just hope they will name some sea Carribean or something like that so we could be freaking pirates of the caribbean :D

I'm looking forward to it if it is released, more drops and better resources for me to collect.

True dat, I'm looking forward to what they will come up with (with the help of players). I'm really looking forward to new methods/places to gather present resources aswell.

Indeed, the fact that you can bring items back with you is great and a major differece to dungeoneering. I just hope they will name some sea Carribean or something like that so we could be freaking pirates of the caribbean biggrin.png

True dat, I'm looking forward to what they will come up with (with the help of players). I'm really looking forward to new methods/places to gather present resources aswell.

That would be awesome, new gear pirate armor happy.png

My thoughts are more likely bias, as i hate runescape and have not played in a long time.

But fuck that skill and everything it stands for.

Theres 3 ways according to the post to train this skill

Ship building (May as well be construction/crafting)

Navigation 

+                   These 2 things basically being the same thing are a basic fundamental of any RPG. Traveling.

Exploration 

If i wanted to have to sit and shift myself to charter boats (Which are already in the game, go to any port and you will be able to charter) to unexplored areas, they may as well have introduced it as a skill when they released 'Ports' some time ago in RS3. But they didn't want to introduce it as sailing, only to further joke the community that is the players, into thinking so. Instead they release it as a minigame that you have to grind out. More than any other minigame if you actually want to be a top competitor in PvM. More than the majority of skills themselves. I wouldn't be wrong to say also that it would take longer to grind out that minigame for it's rewards, than to get any skill at all in RS3 to get to 99, Some skills to 120 infact.

And by the sounds of the PvP section of the blog, the new world will not be in your own instance but very public, so all islands are open to public free navigation to find the quickest route to your destination without even knowing a single thing about the skill by simply looking up any guide, leaving any sense of accomplishment dead. 

TL;DR

So instead of having the casual Charter for transportation or quest to unlock new areas, you have this super uncreative skill, generated against the will of the players (according to polls and previous statements of never releasing this skill) that will probably result in micro managing schedule based training for most players. and imo will probably end up being on, once again, the worse side of updates.

• Like 1