OSRS August ahead VS. OSBuddy

blabla123

Link to original forum thread here

So I've just read what Jagex has planned for august. I can't help myself but notice how many of their updates brings official client closer to what OSBuddy offers.

• XP drops
  • which of Barrows brothers is alive
  • GE web page
  • Zoom

And I guarantee more will come. Now of course this is mainly due to OSBuddy not waiting so long and implementing addons right away and the fact that it's easier to create something on top of the client vs. implementing something new into the client. But by the look of it there will soon be no reason to play through OSBuddy client when I'll have all the useful info right in the official client.

So what do you think of this? Have you too noticed this trend? Do you think OSBuddy will sustain their user-base or will they come up with something new?

And do you think that OSBuddy Exchange page will follow the same path as Zybez Exchange when official GE page will arrive?

Edited by blabla123

It's hard to tell who is in the right here.

OSBuddy team who provide addons on Jagexs game (no game = no addons = no business) or

Jagex implementing some of OSBuddys ideas

Most of all I think they all profit in the end... Maybe Jagex want to bring more free to play players to play on official client so they can advertise (I don't really know if ads still appear for f2p players)

When is jagex not copying stuff. They got most of their content ideas from runescape private servers smh

This is simmilar to what I said. You say Jagex copy from RSPS... Think about it for a sec. Without Jagex, there would be no RSPS. So private servers copy in the first place.

Edited by blabla123

OSBuddy is a great way to measure demand and community approval for those kind of features, as long as OSBuddy keeps ahead and continues adding relevant new features they'll be fine, otherwise they'll just die.

We'll see, if OSBuddy were to open their API and allow outsiders to create plugins they'd significantly raise their odds of survival, meh.

OSBuddy is a great way to measure demand and community approval for those kind of features, as long as OSBuddy keeps ahead and continues adding relevant new features they'll be fine, otherwise they'll just die.

We'll see, if OSBuddy were to open their API and allow outsiders to create plugins they'd significantly raise their odds of survival, meh.

Indeed, it's great way to test how community handles addons. We will never know what (if any) contract Jagex and OSBuddy has. I think they must have some, because Jagex practically allowed OSBuddy to be used by not disallowing it. Even though they have to gather information from the client somewhat similar to botting clients (not sure), only they just display this info.

Edited by blabla123

Indeed, it's great way to test how community handles addons. We will never know what (if any) contract Jagex and OSBuddy has. I think they must have some, because Jagex practically allowed OSBuddy to be used by not disallowing it. Even though they have to gather information from the client somewhat similar to botting clients (not sure), only they just display this info.

https://uk.linkedin.com/pub/james-thompson/42/b6/363

d3f3f5ff76807d41ea59af8b42af8dcf.png

f6e6b1614a3ed317673eb2f86ded24ad.png

I'm not sure whether they are contractually connected, but it's probably in RSBuddy's best interest to not get on Jagex's bad side. All it would take for RSB to lose it's majority of users is for Jagex to make that client against the rules, so even without a contract they have plenty of leverage.

It's hard to tell who is in the right here.

OSBuddy team who provide addons on Jagexs game (no game = no addons = no business) or

Jagex implementing some of OSBuddys ideas

Most of all I think they all profit in the end... Maybe Jagex want to bring more free to play players to play on official client so they can advertise (I don't really know if ads still appear for f2p players)

This is simmilar to what I said. You say Jagex copy from RSPS... Think about it for a sec. Without Jagex, there would be no RSPS. So private servers copy in the first place.

I understand that, but the coders of rsps made content, for example summoning was on privates servers and now it's on the live game