Rare items?

Savage

Possibly but not because of Jagex because If I am not mistaken Jagex has made it clear that they do not wish to make holiday items rare; instead, they plan to just give all past year holiday items each time the holidays come up(So This Easter would get 2013,2014 and 2015 rewards). That said the supply of such items will never really decrease to the point of being a priceless item. The only item that I think stands a chance of going for a couple mil any time soon is the Christmas Cracker(because they do decrease as people open them with the hops of getting a more valuable phat).

The only other way I could see rare items happening is if and this is a big if... An individual with lots, and I mean we're talking hundreds of millions if not billions of gp figured out how many copies of a particular holiday item existed and decided to just buy everyone's holiday items. Essentially they would be a monopoly or more realistically a group of individuals could do it and become an oligopoly, Eventually the mass purchase of all these holiday items would affect the market as people see almost no one wearing them. This is when the prices would skyrocket, however, this would only be temporary because once the corresponding holiday season comes up, and the items are re-released... well there's no point at buying for a high price then now is there? That said it would require loads of time and planning and you'd have to sell as many of the copies as possible before the next holiday event. However if you sell too many too soon the price will just drop thus cut into profits. When a new holiday event happens the individual or group would have to purchase all the new ones and begin again.

I know way too much about economics lol =).
  • Like 1

Possibly but not because of Jagex because If I am not mistaken Jagex has made it clear that they do not wish to make holiday items rare; instead, they plan to just give all past year holiday items each time the holidays come up(So This Easter would get 2013,2014 and 2015 rewards). That said the supply of such items will never really decrease to the point of being a priceless item. The only item that I think stands a chance of going for a couple mil any time soon is the Christmas Cracker(because they do decrease as people open them with the hops of getting a more valuable phat).

The only other way I could see rare items happening is if and this is a big if... An individual with lots, and I mean we're talking hundreds of millions if not billions of gp figured out how many copies of a particular holiday item existed and decided to just buy everyone's holiday items. Essentially they would be a monopoly or more realistically a group of individuals could do it and become an oligopoly, Eventually the mass purchase of all these holiday items would affect the market as people see almost no one wearing them. This is when the prices would skyrocket, however, this would only be temporary because once the corresponding holiday season comes up, and the items are re-released... well there's no point at buying for a high price then now is there? That said it would require loads of time and planning and you'd have to sell as many of the copies as possible before the next holiday event. However if you sell too many too soon the price will just drop thus cut into profits. When a new holiday event happens the individual or group would have to purchase all the new ones and begin again.

I know way too much about economics lol =).

lol =)