Need help: Questions number 24 and 25 on College Algebra

Goku1

I'm not looking for answers. I'm just looking for someone to show me, step by step, how to solve these two College Algebra math problems. I usually ask on this section of OSBot for these specific questions and I end up learning fairly quickly with one simple example. I'm giving Likes for the people that can do this. ;p

The math problems are listed in the link below:

http://puu.sh/aTxSm/9a34db2d0b.png

I'm not looking for answers. I'm just looking for someone to show me, step by step, how to solve these two College Algebra math problems. I usually ask on this section of OSBot for these specific questions and I end up learning fairly quickly with one simple example. I'm giving Likes for the people that can do this. ;p

The math problems are listed in the link below:

http://puu.sh/aTxSm/9a34db2d0b.png

Here is a hint, for the first problem you can easily solve it by pluggin in the answers. For example, what happens if you plug in 3 for x? You get 2/0 on the left hand side. You can also just solve for x.

For the second one, an importand part of it is to understand the difference between "( )" and "[ ] "

or any combination of the two. Do you know what those mean?

• Like 1

Here is a hint, for the first problem you can easily solve it by pluggin in the answers. For example, what happens if you plug in 3 for x? You get 2/0 on the left hand side. You can also just solve for x.

For the second one, an importand part of it is to understand the difference between "( )" and "[ ] "

or any combination of the two. Do you know what those mean?

Yes absolute value. But do I use the distribute property even if it's absolute value?

Edited by Goku1

Yes absolute value. But do I use the distribute property even if it's absolute value?

No, that is not what i meant. " | | " means absolute value. In math, "( )" means non inclusive and "[ ]" means inclusive. For example, 

(4, 20] would mean that 4 is not included in the answer, but is the lower bound, and 20 is included in the answer, and is the upper bound. So at the value of 20, it would also hold true, but at 4 it would not hold true.

No, that is not what i meant. " | | " means absolute value. In math, "( )" means non inclusive and "[ ]" means inclusive. For example, 

(4, 20] would mean that 4 is not included in the answer, but is the lower bound, and 20 is included in the answer, and is the upper bound. So at the value of 20, it would also hold true, but at 4 it would not hold true.

I see. Is there a way you can show how you solved this answer?