Java

Jmh44

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wanting to learn how to make scripts this summer starting out easy so i can learn and then harder ones. 

Is there a good FREE way to learn java?

i googled it and saw some online schools. but id rather find out what the script developers and people that make scripts did to learn java

If your aim is to eventually make advanced scripts then you shouldn't start with OSBot scripting. You very well could start there, and it would probably be fun to do so (it was for me and that's how I started years ago with other bots), but you'll be doing a lot of guesswork and scratching your head trying to understand what's going wrong and why because you won't have a basic, fundamental understanding of programming or the Java language.

If you only want to learn how to make basic scripts over the summer then your approach is appropriate. If you want to make advanced scripts, then it'll take longer than summer break, and will require that you learn how to actually program to some degree, not just script for this bot or perhaps even just code within Java. In fact, trying to skip ahead and learn "how do I do this intermediate thing" before knowing "why should I do this basic thing rather than that basic thing" (sorry if that doesn't make sense) could hurt you in the long-term because fundamentals are as important to programming as they are to baseball (best analogy I could come up with, sue me).

Basically, do you want to make a powerminer that can drop ore and detect a smoking rock? If so, that's a great start; play around with scripting over break. You could probably just look at the sources of different mining scripts (by decompiling them if sources aren't provided) while trial and error scripting with an IDE (Netbeans, eclipse, etc. which will outright tell you what's wrong and often suggest solutions) and then have a basic enough understanding of what they're doing to create your own script. If you choose such a course for yourself, then I highly recommend an iterative design, which at its most basic and relevant (for you) definition means "get something to work, learn why it works, and apply what you've learned to what you do next." Very basic example: figure out how to detect a valid rock to mine and confirm your method works -> a smoking rock is the opposite of what you need to mine -> use how you detected a valid rock to detect a smoking rock and build your anti-smoking-rock code onto that.

Or, do you want to make a reliable green dragon killer and banker or barrows script? Then you probably (almost definitely) want to start from the bottom of Java and programming essentials and work your way up over a significant period of time because you'll need a firm grasp on what you're doing. I made "reliable" bold because while it's not outright difficult to make such scripts, it does require a bit of knowledge to implement sound logic which can anticipate and handle various circumstances within RuneScape that could break the script, as well as "exceptions" and other errors you will encounter within Java programming. Accounting for all the seemingly small, myriad things that could go wrong within a script or whatever you create can make all the difference between what people consider to be novice or professional. 

tl;dr make simple scripts by jumping into scripting, make advanced scripts by learning programming.

Edited by TheSaint