"Java Expert" Rank

Swizzbeat

Well, they just stuck with with Official Script Writer haha. So I suppose that's half true.

Yes, but to be an official script writer, you need to put scripts out to the community.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to help most people I come across, but I have no real desire to develop/sell scripts on this site.

I feel I am most beneficial to this site (and not the developers pockets) by writing my own private scripts and helping others as need be.

Hence, I will never get the "Script developer" title.

I find it difficult to believe that a rank would be created with the sole purpose of being a Java expert instead of an expert in programming/comp sci/etc. Realistically, once you know a few languages, you "know" most of them and it's a matter of applying knowledge than simply writing code.

I suppose if you knew a lot about the internals of the JVM and such, then perhaps I could accept a "Java Expert" rank. But it seems rather superficial on a lot of sites.

@Parameter

I would think that you would need a working knowledge of the JVM, and by extension, bytecode and class file formats, etc. to be an "expert".

Sure, but if we required that for this rank, maybe one or two people on this site could get it.

Yes, but to be an official script writer, you need to put scripts out to the community.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to help most people I come across, but I have no real desire to develop/sell scripts on this site.

I feel I am most beneficial to this site (and not the developers pockets) by writing my own private scripts and helping others as need be.

Hence, I will never get the "Script developer" title.

Count the number of scripts I have built for OSBot.

Hint: It's neither positive or negative (in the standard English usage, don't start pulling number theory on me haha)

I could get the rank also if I knew the admins. But I don't so, meh.

You don't necessarily need to know the admins as long as you know what you're doing. Obviously there is a high bar, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. There are a number of people who undoubtedly would get it if they bothered to register.

• Like 1

You don't necessarily need to know the admins as long as you know what you're doing. Obviously there is a high bar, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. There are a number of people who undoubtedly would get it if they bothered to register.

The admins should move the thread for the rank application then. It's currently under a forum that only SDN Scripters+ can access tongue.png

• Like 1

• Developer

The admins should move the thread for the rank application then. It's currently under a forum that only SDN Scripters+ can access tongue.png

Not going to happen. There are enough idiots trying to get ranks and it just wastes time. Besides, we generally already know who is good and deserves it. And pretty much everyone that applies would be underqualified so there isn't really a point.

• Like 2

Pretty silly on the other hand, official script writer gives you the same benefits as VIP (IIRC). So anyone who knows how to code can just walk in here for free VIP.

• Like 1

I agree with this to an extent, a rank would be nice to have to recognize those who are exceptional in programming.

However, I believe instead of it being called 'Java Expert', it should relate to programming in general, kind of like how the Fellow or Scholar rank is at other forums.

Edited by Elysian

Pretty silly on the other hand, official script writer gives you the same benefits as VIP (IIRC). So anyone who knows how to code can just walk in here for free VIP.

I highly doubt those who are good enough for such a rank would walk in and apply just to leech VIP from this site.

They probably have their own private functioning bots.

Honestly while this could be OK (given the requirements were more Java/programming related), there would be literally 2 people (other than devs) that could get this rank:

@pyroryan and @Parameter

(if it's the same pyroryan I think it is, which I'm quite sure it is)

:\

Edited by Pandemic

Honestly while this could be OK (given the requirements were more Java/programming related), there would be literally 2 people (other than devs) that could get this rank:

@pyroryan and @Parameter

(if it's the same pyroryan I think it is, which I'm quite sure it is)

:\

Hey well its something to strive for?

Anyway I probably should edit the OP and basically state that I didn't mean to reference this all towards Java, but programming as a whole.