Knowledge required to create a botting client?

Swizzbeat

• Developer

From what I've gathered the easiest part is making the loader (just a simple applet contained within a JFrame) and the hardest is the updater. To make a client you have to deobfuscate the RuneScape class files and manipulate them using a library such as ASM. It's a lot harder then it sounds, and so far has given me a new found respect for what @Laz and @Maxi have to constantly deal with.

You can pretty much copy and paste an updater these days. It used to be that having an updater meant something because of the effort/knowledge involved. With multiple open-sourced ones, it's become much easier to just guess a pattern until it works. And that's the reason most of them are unstable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can pretty much copy and paste an updater these days. It used to be that having an updater meant something because of the effort/knowledge involved. With multiple open-sourced ones, it's become much easier to just guess a pattern until it works. And that's the reason most of them are unstable.

I would recommend against using patterns to identify fields, it's unstable and harder. There are much easier more stable methods of identification.

Hmm.. updater is to hard. GG

The updater is the easiest, so long as you know the client (You can use a reflection explorer to help identify fields). However, now days most people just steal hooks off updater logs.

• Developer

I would recommend against using patterns to identify fields, it's unstable and harder. There are much easier more stable methods of identification.

The entire idea of an updater relies on patterns. How else are you going to do it? Manually? Even doing it manually relies on patterns. Your brain recognizes specific patterns of loops and such and puts it together to form a bigger pattern. In short, every single strategy that's been used in an updater is going to rely on patterns.

Using a reflection explorer is perfectly acceptable, but keep in mind that it's still limited in capability compared to direct refactoring. It's a good starting point nonetheless.

• 2 months later...

Well take into account that both Laz and Maxi come from the RS private servers community where they learnt a lot about the runescape client. In fact I believe most if not all of the bot client makers come from the same communities. There are some very informative threads in those forums too. Not going to link just in case. 

ASM or reflection I reckon (As people have mentioned)

I made a client once (For simple paint rendering of loaded NPCs & objects) in ASM;

Learned a lot of bytecode from that; So I would definitely recommend giving it a try; Simple stuff anyway. Making a full blown botting client alone is.. not a good idea IMO

ASM or reflection I reckon (As people have mentioned)

I made a client once (For simple paint rendering of loaded NPCs & objects) in ASM;

Learned a lot of bytecode from that; So I would definitely recommend giving it a try; Simple stuff anyway. Making a full blown botting client alone is.. not a good idea IMO

erm no, asm is just a bytecode manipulating library