How to improve OSBot as a bot to prevent bans as a community

grammatoncleric

Anti-Cheat System  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should OSBot add the purposed anti-cheat system?

• Yes
    • No

So basically you want OSBot to have something similar to RuneLite's bot detection plugin and use that to find out what's getting botters banned. I feel like most of these factors are already obvious though. Accounts that focus on a very select amount of activities right after creating the account, certain order of doing this e.g. requirements for certain activies or quests, buying certain items right after creating account and so on, is there that much other data to collect?

Edited by Gam

31 minutes ago, Gam said:

So basically you want OSBot to have something similar to RuneLite's bot detection plugin and use that to find out what's getting botters banned. I feel like most of these factors are already obvious though. Accounts that focus on a very select amount of activities right after creating the account, certain order of doing this e.g. requirements for certain activies or quests, buying certain items right after creating account and so on, is there that much other data to collect?

I would prefer to not focus on how this would be created in this thread, as [at the time of this reply, 7/4 is hardly enough to make a decision, as there is no board but rather a community].

Keeping a chronological approach is a must, therefore talking about the next step, in my eyes is not productive... as this thread hasn't got the publicity to go anywhere and it doesnt appear it will.

I do not know the best way to accomplish this task, but I think analytics would be the best course of action to do so.

The root idea would be the same, but I think everything else would be different.

Right now, the runelite plugin is only using one feature: highscores
Highscores are clearly not enough to determine if an account is a bot or not, but something like window focus would be.
Not only are there not enough features with the RL plugin and there is a very small use case: report accounts that are gaining xp in a short amount of time. However inaccurate the "reports"/jagex feedback is, it has identified my accounts 100% correctly [bot or real player]. This is a small scale test, so I will not confirm or deny the accuracy of these results, as the results may vary from person to person.
The amount of features, should, provide more accurate results in theory.
With more features, this should make the detection more precise when deciding if a feature is contributing to bans or not.

The amount of features is really dependent on how much overhead is the community willing to add per bot

On 6/22/2021 at 1:34 PM, grammatoncleric said:

Synopsis:
Please do not vote until you have read the thread unless you have already done so.
Should OSBot add analytics and use them for determining features that are increasing bans

Background: 
So recently, I saw that a runelite plugin that is using machine learning and highscores to detect bots. Jagex IS supporting this and sends confirmations to better train the model making the detection better and the detector is being updated every single day. There is over 100M reports so far, and this bot may be 90% accurate. I personally have gotten far less, more around 5% accurate. This plugin runs in the background of runelite, so whenever an account is logged in, and this plugin is installed, it is running the model against whoever comes within range of the account that is running the plugin. It automatically sends reports to jagex if the model thinks that there is a 75% chance or greater of the rsn being a bot.

The Problem:
So with learning about this new bot detector and thinking of why this hasnt been done alot sooner as I myself even posses the knowledge of how to write the machine learning code to do this. I am also thinking about why OSBot, and all the other major botting clients have not implemented any sort of tracking feature(s). Many of the botting clients have a feature(s) suchas improving the mouse by using a hardware mouse, but there is no evidence that using the mouse is used as part of Jagex's bot detection system. There is no point in developing such things if there is nothing to verify that it will actually be beneficial. A guess an check approach is a rough way to go, and it has largely, been this way forever. There is no pre-check or after-check of such systems that can confirm or deny the results of any feature(s). This would be more powerful than Jagex's bot detection itself. Even as Jagex increases their ability to detect bots, this will still be more powerful as it is giving us confirmation of a sequence of events and features that lead to a ban, meaning that no matter how powerful their detection is, there will always be a way of countering it.

Reality:
This would also answer the age old question, is this client detectable? Jagex claims that they can detect when someone uses a third party client, suchas botting software, and this is very likely that they can detect a third party client, but can they detect a third party botting client? It would take some time, but it wouldnt be long before this question is answered. If there is no pattern to how accounts are being banned, there can only be a few reasons why. A: The third party client is being detected B: There are unknown variables that are effecting the bans. [as an example: Jagex is reading the HWIND of computers]. A is a dangerous thing to say because it may extinguish a community if improperly verified, however, prolonging the result indefinitely is also counter productive. B Can be solved. When you download a program from the internet, there is no encryption that exists today that cannot be reverse engineered. This is why SaaS exists [software as a service / an app on a website that provides a service for you that you access from a website]

Possible Solution:
Now, with my programming experience I could write my own botting manager, while it may take me awhile, I could still do it. However, lets take NotABot's botting manager as an example. NotABot has a guide on how to use OSBot for the inexperienced. With this inexperience, it is far more likely for the people using this botting manager to follow in the footsteps of the guides that NotABot provides. So, it would probably be safe to conclude that the majority of users would be generally using the same formula, proxies, scripts script duration, breaks. In order to get a proper, and accurate gauge on how effective the botting client is, the botting client itself needs to implement this kind of tracking. Even if NotABot has his developers implement tracking of the proxies and scripts being used within his botting platform, he still only represents a fraction of the entire botting clients being used [OSBot].
I personally wouldnt be phased at all to have to provide a bit of extra information [proxy provider] to the botting client for this kind of feature, but I am biased, so perhaps a poll would be better, however, having a poll may be a better solution than my sole opinion, but it still may not be the best. How can botters that are currently profiting and content with their current botting status, and botters that are newer, improve? After this is solved, then we can figure out how to proceed.
A problem that I have not solved is the anonymity of botters success. This would more than likely level the playing field. While, experienced botters may always have an edge, this would more than likely significantly lessen that edge.
Botting will eventually be undetectable as machine learning / ai advances, but how long till then is unknown, and when that time is reached, the profitability may be non-existent by then.

How scripting would change:
This would put massive amounts of pressure on developers to provide better programs / scripts for customers in one of the most important aspects of the botting community; the longevity of accounts. Currently scripters are not competitive as there is no incentive to do so, and this is confirmed by pricing. This possibly would reduce the number of scripts that are not doing well and using other people as leverage to test their scripts. Currently, this is a problem in all botting communities, and they have all put bandaids on as a temporary fix. [Removing all scripts from the repo, and forcing developers to follow new guidelines in order for their script(s) to be approved/shown on the new "cleaned" repo]. This is not a solution. This would also more than likely collapse newer developers as they do not have the experience in writing code for this purpose, and without small successes are likely to turn away from continuing to code for the community. This is a good and bad. New scripters means variety, and more importantly, better scripts. More variety is good for goldfarmers, and better scripts are better for goldfarmers and the casual botter [botters who are not selling the gold gained by their account(s)]. The better scripts will not be because the new scripters are writing them, but because there is more competition to do so. 

Important:
This method is to figure where the bans are coming from, and where to shift the focus of improvement. This will likely reduce bans, but there are still many factors.
The only way this would work is if this feature was forced upon the entire botting community, otherwise this is entirely pointless

Thank you for your time
~grammatoncleric

Really interested in what you thoughts are:

TLDR plz 

• Like 1